What does Veeky Forums have to say about aerospace engineering?

I have just finished high school with great scores in physics, and math. I realy like those subject and I want to work in an engineering field. What do you think about studying aerospace engineering? Are there aveilable jobs beside the miltary ones? How well is it compared to electrical engineering?

> not studying railroad engineering

>great scores in physics, and math. I realy like those subject and I want to work in an engineering field.
why not physics or math?

>why not physics or math?
Because autists are attracted to childish interests such as planes/trains

Aerospace engineering is legit
so is physics and/or math
so is mechanical engineering
>tfw you realize aerospace eng. is just specialized mechanical eng.
so is chemical engineering
so is electrical engineering
so is civil engineering
>although mechanicals (and everyone else, but mostly mechanicals) often make fun of civils
>t. B.S. mechanical Eng.

>availible jobs besides military
yes. A LOT
>Compared to electric
I'm not an electric engineer. I figure they do more math than us mechanicals

I guess the question is: what the fuck to you want, OP?

OP,
I'll keep this thread open overnight, If you want an explanation of each engineering specialty (limited by my lack of knowledge of electrical phenomena, but I do know about control systems and circuits because mechanicals are taking over that area.) I can provide it tomorrow afternoon if you reply to this post asking for it.

That will be great. Thanks

Because i like to study engineering.the problems that physicist and mathematician solve seems irrelevant to me. I want to solve real world problems

>real World
machine will breakdown, physics laws dont

Sorry brainlet you are misguided af

Look. Obviously engineers rely on the laws of physics. Its just that i want to solve practical problems instead of theoretical ones

You don't produce physics laws, you produce real practical machines that do stuff.
engineers >>>> all STEM branches > arts > gender studies > mathematicians

So would you say that EE focus more heavily on math and physics than Aerospace?

You are retarded. OP will be applying math and physics to practical applications that make money.

You will be stuck on this board larping about being the next Ramanujan

Because he wants to actually pay off his student loans.

>Are there aveilable jobs beside the miltary ones?
No. Try again around 2030

Take your homework seriously, know girls want you to make a move, do your homework, have sex so make that move, pay attention in class. You will be fine and can make big bucks later on. Enjoy life user!

>dedicating your life to sudoku puzzles

>Machine will break down
That's right, you need engineers and technicians to keep the AC and power running so you can stay in the lab/classroom and be a mathematician or physicist. Everyone has their part to play nothing wrong with that.

a bunch of governments and businesses are going into space right now
one of those businesses, and a few governments have outright declared a moonbase will be built by 2025
once they get a moonbase up, it's very likely they'll expand their efforts, first on the moon for mining, then outward to the asteroids and planets using that gathered material

if there's any a time to go into space fields, it is now

So i didn't do this right away because I was drunk last night and sleepy.

I should clarify that this is just the schooling you get to get the degree. lots of these skills are transferable, so a mechanical engineer major could be employed as a chemical engineer or vice-versa.

Mechanical Eng
>Design Shit with moving parts
>Thermodynamics
>>>how efficient can your power plant actually be?
>Heat transfer
>>>not as simple as it sounds, cowboy.
>Newtonian Mechanics of solids and fluids
>>>By extension Aero and hydrodynamics
>Fatigue and failure of machine parts
>Material Science
>>>turns out a lot of thought goes into alloying metals
>Control systems (basically a system that controls itself)
>>>we took this over from electricals
>Extensive laboratory work

Aerospace
>see mechanical but you get to call yourself a rocket scientist or something

Civil
>see mechanical BUT...
>no moving parts
>replace material science with concrete science
>add class about soil
>no thermodynamics
>no control systems
>no vector calculus
>no numerical programming
and they wonder why we make fun of them

Chemical
>highly specialized mechanical engineer.
>See mechanical, BUT...
>no control systems
>no vector calculus
>add chemistry courses
>LOTS OF FUCKING CHEMISTRY
>add more thermodynamics
>add more heat transfer
>laboratory work is for pipes and reactors

Elec
>completely unlike mechanical
>Take Maxwell's equations and have sex with it
>Circuits circuits and more circuits
>applied circuits
>numerical programming
>control systems (system that controls itself)
>Signal processing
>Power grid maintenance

So you think those things shouldn't exist?

I realy want to work at spacex but i am not a us national so i can't. But designing satellites and rocket sound realy interesting.

There are other jobs in space though. See if your country has a space program in need of your help. Also, I think you need to be a US citizen to build rockets in the US, but not to build non-military satellites. Something you might want to look into.

Aerospace Engineer here, I worked as a design engineer in European defence and now in the New World as an Industrial Engineer on a FAL. I'll pin the thread and get back to it tomorrow if you want to ask me anything.

1. Do industrial or mechanical engineering instead. You don't use specifically anything you learn in an Aeronautical Engineering and you'll have a better return on investment on a Mechanical Engineering or Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering degree.

2. You don't always need a masters, but it helps to get a job. If you plan on going into aerospace, don't bother with a PhD. It's simply not desired.

3. Your co-op/internship will be the one that lands you the first job. You need that first job for experience. Exceed at that internship.

4. Learn VBA and excel, and learn them well.

5. This industry is fucked. If you want something "cutting tech", look in automotive.

6. Military sounds exciting, but often it's more dull than civilian. You have export locks and information limitation with military programs. You don't build the a/c, you build the component. The people that design or install the APU don't have a notion what the people who design or install the wings do. Only chief engineers will know the entire system, and even then these people are a rarity. Civilian is generally more open and you learn more.

Whereas math and physics is only for neurotypicals of course

What do you mean by automotive?

Also, i am more interested in the space part Like designing rockets and satellites.
Are there any job like these in the civilian sector?

>Maxwell's equations
that's more of a physics thing, I'm in my fourth year and barely saw that

Automotive uses robots, machines, etc.
Aerospace uses idiots with rivet guns and 9/10 databases are excel files on a shared drive.

That's nearly all civilian.

When you "design a rocket", you will only touch one part of the design. I will use aircraft manufacturing as an example since I know it well. When you are a design engineer, it is highly probable that you will only look at one component or system - APU, hydraulics, ECS, RAT, etc. You will not design the aircraft so much as a specific part of it. The overall design will be the Chief Engineer or other engineers with 30+ years behind them. This can be quite deflating to people who expect to leave university and map trajectories one day and calculate fuel consumption the next day.