Alright Veeky Forums I need your help for inspiration

Alright Veeky Forums I need your help for inspiration.

I invited my new boss and a few high ranking managers of my firm to a dinner at my place. He's a gourmet and a wine amateur and after a few tastings in restaurants he suggested I throw something.
Goal is to score a few points and have a nice dinner.

It will be a Mexican fusion theme, and I'm a bit stuck on the dessert.
The goal is to use traditional ingredients of Mexican cuisine and revisit them in an uncommon form, while conserving the typical mix of savours.

I make a pretty solid corn Ice cream and I thought that it would be an interesting starting point.

To go with the ice cream I was thinking a red fruit marmelade or chutney is always a nice touch. So why not a braised tomato puree. It is a fruit after all and slow cooked it gets rather sweet and caramelized. Acidic touch would be nice with the cream.

But I've never cooked tomato as a dessert apart from a tomato ice cream once.

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jEo9VXYVrxs
youtu.be/iFC7-urzfXw
youtu.be/xmi5j4t3phA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I believe the dish needs something spicy too, so I was thinking about making some dark chocolate decoration and make them.with a chili infused chocolate.

I'll have to make several trials to get the flavour and spiciness right but it definitely has visual potential
Do you believe it'll taste good with corn ice cream?

Pic related, a raspberry/grapefruit bavarois I made some time ago.

for me it is the mcchicken

fuck if I know but I'm interested to read the thread, have a bump

Another option is a Chamoy sauce on the ice cream wich is both sour and spicy and could replace both tomato puree and chili chocolate but it is far more.common and less technical/original.
Let's say it's a safe back up.

OP you brown nosing little rascal

Do something with tamarind and peanuts.

Thanks for your input. Stay awhile and maybe you'll have some ideas !

I also feel that both options are pretty bland on texture. So there's a solid need for crunchiness.
I was looking at toasted maize but they are rather hard under the tooth and would be unpleasant surprises when eaten with the ice cream.

Here I am at a loss. Manchego tuile? Corn bread? Lemon zest cracker ?

I thought of fried epazote leaves to bring some.green in the mix and as a reminder of traditional esquites, but the taste is suboptimal and the texture not so crunchy.
I might add them.fresh for decoration purpose though

I postedim a spic that has been to mexico alot ama.

What do you do

>So there's a solid need for crunchiness.
>I was looking at toasted maize but they are rather hard under the tooth and would be unpleasant surprises when eaten with the ice cream.
You could try using flour tortillas here. Brush them with a mixture of softened butter, sugar, and cinnamon, then bake them until crispy. Then just chop them up into little pieces to sprinkle them on top of your ice cream.

>Mexican theme
>dessert

Mexicans are too poor for dessert. Just hand everyone a rake after dinner and have them do some landscaping

Steamed hams

>growing a dangerous mexican herb and boasting of it on the intertubes
This era of "tolerance" has got to stop, next thing you know our pure White women will be voluntarily having relations with Mexican men and dancing to the lascivious songs of Caifanes and Café Tacvba

Brown nosing?
Sorry I nearly never come here and I don't know this meme.

Tamarindo is already used in a.lots.lf ways in both salty and sweet dishes, I must.confess that nothing out of the ordinary come to mind.

I am trying very hard to be a posing posh food hipster because that's what will score.me.point. especially if I demonstrate good technical skills.

So you can get an idea here is the rest of the menu

>Appetizer: hot/cold foie gras and tamarindo bouchée on brick leaves

>Starters: Fish trio, tuna and avocado tartare flamed in mezcal with rosemary smoke; seabass ceviche with tropical fruits and a classical shrimp aguachile.

>Main: Osso Bucco pibil, with its fresh handmade blue corn fettuccine and habanero caviar

>Cheese platter

>Entremet: Jamaica trio, a jelly, a slusher and a shot of unsweetened Jamaica water. In order to rince the mouth.

>Dessert

>Digestive: selection of Tequilas, mezcals and aguardientes

>Chiapas coffee with traditional Mexican amaranto and peanuts sweets

>Nuts, fresh and dried fruits to accompany the final Tequilas as the conversation lingers.

>Brown nosing
not a meme, its a legit phrase. Look it up and learn something for once you freeloading asspie

Horchata creme anglaise under your ice cream. Not sure why youre trying to be so experimental. Just make a traditional mexican dessert and do it well.

"Brown nosing" is a common colloquialism in English, used to refer to the action of defering to and making efforts to impress a superior to an excessive degree in order to curry favor with said superior. It's derived from the less-polite phrase "ass kissing", presumably because if you kissed someone's naked ass hard enough your nose would press up against their anus.

Wow this is actually an excellent recommendation !

I knew I came to the right place. I could fry it and make a corn ice cream tostada.for.desert!
I'll have to check if the mouthfeel is right with the already fat.ice cream. But it'll work wonders with the tomato puree.

Maybe a dash of.jellified lemon juice for the color?

>Brown nosing?
How the fuck have you never heard this?

Non-American?

Order some takeout and serve it on a plate

Oh, never heard of it before.
It's a rather funny expression. And yeah this is the goal. I am.going to burry my nasal cavity so far up his ass that I'll smell his breath.

I work in a small technical related environment related to pharma. Being part.of.the boys club is pretty much the only way to make a proper career.
And I love cooking so it's much better than learning golf....

Good call on the horchata. I might sneak it in another dish.

I am being experimental because that's what he likes. He is fascinated by Ferrán Adriá and the Noma restaurant. He loves the chef series on Netflix etc. When I told him I could make pearled jellified alcohol he went aghast and suggested I invited him.to dinner.
He's a decent folk and has an amazing wine cellar.

You seem to know a bit more about this type of cooking than I do, but I do know that Mexicans use lime more often than lemon.

it's not quite Mexican, but halo-halo is a dessert that incorporates beans. Could do some twist on that, Philippines are the Mexico of Asia after all, perfect fusion melting pot.

Or there's also that binging with babish video of the stuffed tomato in caramel from the west wing (can't remember the name).

Are you a lawyer?

>several trials
all this just to please your boss.. damn I'd never do this

Nah, I never studied law. I studied art and creative writing though. Language is one of my loves, and since English is my first language I try to be as precise as possible when explaining a concept to someone who I suspect isn't a native speaker.

Sounds good. May i suggest a venison platter. You know a plate inspired by native cuisine before spanish introduction of cows. Maybe some goat too. And if you want to go super authentic turtle soup, armadillo, and iguana are some traditional proteins.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it makes some sense if you have an outdoor patio/eating area and a grill. They'll love this. Trust me. After work or on weekends there's no one who wants to be formal or uptight. They want to relax. It's super impressive to read that situation and have that empathy. Tell you sommelier boss what's planned and have him pick out a few wines.

Don't be complicated. It's summer time, OP. Have fun with it. Grilled some burgers or chicken on a pretty summer afternoon. Add a greek salad and cold pasta salad (or just buy the stuff in a box) to go with it. Peach cobbler is awesome too. Have a selection of beers, soda, water, and Gatorade ready and chill out on a relaxed afternoon. No one wants to go to an uptight formal dinner party.
youtu.be/jEo9VXYVrxs
youtu.be/iFC7-urzfXw
youtu.be/xmi5j4t3phA