Who /medschool/ here...

Who /medschool/ here? I have put some thought into possibly applying for Med School in the future as I am only a freshman but am not entirely sure what the pros and cons are of going to top schools or how applying to residencies go or even how you go about choosing your specialty when you decide on being a Dr or specializing in Surgery. What were your guys' gpa's, undergrad major, volunteer experiences/recommendations, and all other listings on your application that you feel are necessary to be competitive to get accepted?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f2B28wGdI_E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not pre-med but most my friends in undergrad were.
>GPA
most had a 3.7-4. Some of the more delusional ones had like 3-3.5.
>Major
most were biology. biochemistry was the graduate school major.
>volunteer experiences
Most of the ones accepted into programs volunteered at hospitals and eventually worked as scribes. This is pretty essential, you need hospital experience, if anything to make sure you are ok with the environment.
>other listings
literally anything and everything you can think of, including undergrad research projects, silly departmental recognition, anything.

overall process is undergrad -> med school -> residency (for assured job) -> specialty.
I think you go into surgery specialty in medical school, not entirely sure though.

i will warn you, make sure you either love medicine, helping people, or both. Because burnout of pre-med and medical students is astounding. It's an assload of work, memorization, and money, at least 6 years of offset earning potential, and a lifestyle you have to work around.

You won't obtain anything from here, you are better off going to the subreddits. Veeky Forums hates medfags.
t. medfag

it's because you guys do little science, you are just input/output machines based on statistically what a patient is most likely to have. Any actual science is passed on to labs with researchers.
that being said, thanks for what you do, i cant stand the sight of free flowing blood

I know, I'm not mad. I love you too.

Anyone here involved in the md/phd meme?

i almost did but im not that crazy or smart. Apparently i'll regret it when they get priority on all the funding

they usually get priority on their first grant, don't achieve anything notable, fail to get a grant renewal or second grant, and then fall back to working as a doctor.

ahaha you just made my night, i really hope that's true though, my adviser makes it sounds like MD/PhDs swoop out of nowhere and steal your money (only to do nothing with it, of course)

Well, I've seen that too many of them try to juggle being a researcher and being a doctor. There really aren't enough hours in the day for this lifestyle though. I'm also pretty sure med school trains you to have no critical thinking ability.

med school is truly the only worth graduate school for the cost. Yes you will walk out with 100k in debt (because you know proffs have loans and debts to pay too) but you will be undoubtably elite with a skillset that will get you a job for 200k+ (family doctor min.) anywhere on this earth

cons:

4 sleepless, incomeless, potentially depressive years

1 (minimum for family doctor) year of residency where you get paid around 50k a year (enough just to pay interest on loans and grocery and rent)

you will most likely be 30 years old (point of no return if you want to be an athlete in any sport besides shooting arrows or bowling rofl)

So the successful ones strike a lopsided balance or do they just choose one? Have read about 80/20 splits, does that literally mean one day a week of one, four a week of the other?

I'm applying to med schools now OP
I have 3 interviews at low-mid tier schools rn but I'm hoping to get some more deeper into the cycle.

I have a 3.9 in computer science with a 512 mcat

I ran a premed club and a board game club as well as served on exec of a culture club

I volunteered at an ambulance and a soup kitchen and did bioinformatics research.

I had three professors letter of recs 2 very good one okay.

Going to a top med school will allow you to get into better more academic focused research programs. If possible you should try to get into the best programs you can.

SDN is a great site and so is mdapplicants for what you want.

If you have any questions please fire away. My computer science classes are easily 100 times harder than my premed ones but I guess that varies person to person. I don't go to class or study much but I pull a lot of all nighters.

If you have any questions please fire away.

>100k debt
that's extremely optimistic user.
>med school is truly the only worth graduate school for the cost.
most graduate programs (PhD) pay you. But i agree the opportunity cost of becoming a doctor is very quickly offset through the earning potential.

Any osteopathic peeps here? How is it?

Yes, most of them are optimistic enough to think that working in the lab for 4 days a week will lead to a successful research career.

You can become a doctor which is cool. The downside is you will not be able to get into some of the more competitive specilites.

If you can i would avoid it though.

And after a year or so they stick to just medicine?

More like ~5 years (1 grant cycle)

>GPA: 3.3
>Major: Biology, Chemistry
>Published in organic chemistry
>Volunteer work: Worked at clinics and volunteered in Mexico
>MCAT 32
>Went to a Caribbean medical school
>Step 1 225
>Step 2 232

Currently a PGY-2 neurology resident at a nationally ranked hospital. If your application isn't perfect, don't let it stop you from following your dreams. Work hard, and it WILL pay off.

op do not go Caribbean under any circumstances

How the fuck did you go from Caribbean school to a decent residency?

Literally the only doctor I've ever heard of managing that is a urologist who took at spot in Louisiana during Katrina.

People who did their MD in the Caribbean should have an asterisk next to their name, like baseball players who used PEDs. The public has the right to know.

If they actually manage to make it from a Caribbean to wherever they are, and that place is decent enough that they'd get any credit to begin with, they probably literally raped all the exams. RAPED. Take that for what you will.

I did a LOT of research when applying to residencies. I found a specialty that I liked AND was likely to match into, given my Step 1 and Step 2 scores. I applied broadly, particularly to programs that have taken students from my school in the past. I had a mentor who taught me how to interview well. And on top of all of that, I was very, very lucky.

Statements like these frequently come up online, but I've only had two people say something similar to my face. Neither one of them were doctors, and neither one of them were likable people.

Ok doctor*.

Race play a very big role of what gpa you need to get into medical school.

I'm Europe, explain this meme.

>infographic

immediately discarded

You dont learn to become a surgeon. You have the skills from birth or you dont. You go into your first surgery having practiced on some dead thingd with no circulatory system to the real thing. Its more of a gifted vs not gifted where 95% of the med students choose a dif specialty after the first month.

ignorance is bliss.

Just for some context im an icu nurse. Dont bother with medschool if you want to be a low-mid level hospitalist or pcp. If you have talent and are generally one of the smartest in the room go into emergency medicine, specials, or surgery. If you cant do things with your "hands" then you are a redundency. Some female memory bot NP or PA will do everything else better.

>doesn't show from which schools they applied, extra curriculars, clubs, other life situations

yeah, who's the real ignorant one here? get your thinly veiled racist bullshit off of my thread

any cool/fun/interesting nursing stories?

>>doesn't show from which schools they applied, extra curriculars, clubs, other life situations

So Black people with the same MCAT and GPA as White people will (on average) have better applications with respect to these other factors than White people and Asians?

And the same for White people themselves versus Asians?

Because that's the only way that this couldn't be explained by deliberate discrimination, and it seems very unlikely.

>>GPA
>most had a 3.7-4. Some of the more delusional ones had like 3-3.5.
The delusional ones might be able to become PhDs, Dentists, Physiotherapists or Veterinarians.
But anything below 3 will shift to another major or become Mc Donald's best employee of the month.
>may i take your order?

Hopefully Trump can block affirmative action in schools so everyone can be considered based on merit and not by the color of their skin.

Patients prefer doctors of the same race and same gender. If you are this /pol/ in real life you won't even make it past the first year without a lawsuit, let alone employed.

>believing this trash
Opinion discarded. I hope you know the flaw in your argument.

Surely someone from /pol/ would want schools to judge based on skin colour?

>Patients prefer doctors of the same race and same gender.

And it's important to over ride this preference because it's stupid.

Murica is weird because it went so far to the left and then so far to the right.

I think it will be toned down in the future but won't vanish altogether.

when white people wants to see a white doctor...is it OK or racist?
youtube.com/watch?v=f2B28wGdI_E

Of couse it's racist. Med is racist as a fuck, specific diseases only target specific people probably because of massive inbreeding where whites only fuck whites, blacks fuck blacks, asians fuck asians etc so you see lots of weird diseases everywhere because of it.

Your learning will teach you that you must always watch out for specific cultures and sexual orientations - but there's a difference between how you behave/express on Veeky Forums and with your peers and with patients/your school. There's always a few people who get in trouble.

That being said, getting in is always the lowest barrier.

Anyone got any good mnemonics for muscles? Muscles of the extremities really irk me because they're a bit pointless to some extent. If I scramble a bunch of words in Latin I get a muscle pretty much 90% of the time.

TL;DR
>Get rejected from every US program you applied to because [GPA too low/C or D in OChem/No volunteering or extracurriculars/Come across as a glory seeker or psychopath in interview]
>Go to degree mill med school in Caribbean
Usually these people end up not getting residencies because they can't pass exams

So, what's the real story on medschool? I've heard it sucks and it sucks but it's a fun suck. Can someone enlighten me?

It sucks, but you can make tons of money after medschool.

>PATIENTS
>shows 1 isolated example

>mfw brown as fuck but considered whites because white Americans have the shittiest detentions of race
well at least they didn't consider me Asian

Make sure you take an anatomy class with a lab early, before it's too late. I was pre-med but ended up going for a PhD after I took anatomy and they pulled a brain out of a vat with all the nerves still attached and I threw up. I didn't think I was a pussy but my body thought otherwise. This is important, if you're squeamish you won't be able to be a doctor. It all worked out for me in the end though, and I don't have to deal with any disgusting sick people now.

It seems easy to fool those med schools.

Than even at his best of trying to look black his asian characteristics simply shine through. Anyways, you can't be mad at someone who does this. He was simply playing the game and if I remember correctly it was white people who put in affirmative action and the people who admit people into these colleges are mostly white also so get angry at white people.

starting first year at nyitcom. I'll see how this goes.