What red flags signal that an author has no discernible talent?

what red flags signal that an author has no discernible talent?

They aren't a white man

Posting on Veeky Forums

picture of authors face on cover

Tries to tell the reader how to feel instead of showing them things and allowing them to arrive at that feeling themselves

If we're talking about 'discernable talent', you don't need our preconceptions - you can discern for yourself.

dumb

arguable but probably false since I post here (and you too user)

usually a good indicator

true

and in short: this. Only your ability to discern talent can inform you of a writer's talent or the lack thereof. However, people generally find it difficult to see what's right in front of their eyes, so you may be missing every red flag or seeing ones that don't exist. Good thing the term 'red flag' is a *spook*

or is it

idk

Can you provide an example of this?

Title is a Shakespeare reference.

If it's not written by Shakespeare.

lolcastic

Conversational language, like "but still,".

ignore him, he's in his first year reading for literature and has just heard of "show don't tell"

Verily, for one may very well say that writing, as of its essence, is the exercise of diction, exaulted in fiction, and hitherto must pride itself in placing its pristine prose above the vulgar vulgus and common parlance of the vulgi. For the tuantum truants are too preoccupied with the taunt and taint of a woman's taint, too enamoured by the warm fleshy rose of her neither regions, to task to teach themselves to understand the finer, refined language of literature. Alak, 'tis as a great Pollack once spake, "look not into the fleshy abyss, lest thought mind become but a fleshy abyss." ''Tis henceforth for this very reason that I've reasoned, and I assure you good sir, by my own design, to ner' let my mind nor head wander, and preserved my virginial purity for the whole score and seven years of my life. Ay ''tis true that the price of greatness beath loneliness.

They are a white male.

Read Flaubert

They detach themselves from having a human voice and write long, brilliant sentences that don't bleed into each other, much like David Foster Wallace.

lmfao

psueds btfo

Gimmicks regarding form

If you can't discern any talent

Using anything other than "said" or "asked" for dialogue tags. That includes unnecessary adverbs.
If you need to include shit like "he insisted broodingly" after dialogue to convey that your character is brooding, you're doing it wrong.

>using dialogue attributions at all
plebeian

inserting beats into the dialogue is the best way to convey emotion
"i'm a real emotional, the realest nigga in the cut," Tyreezy said, sighing and then looking away.

butsome of his essays are good

this is the lamest example of samefagging I've ever seen

plz prove me wrong

This is ass-backwards, you numb faggot nigger: utilizing generic terms such as 'said' and 'asked' is a marker of mediocrity and unimaginativeness (which is why Rolling so repetitiously vulgarizes her dialogue); dialogic meta-description should enhance your work by conveying what would otherwise have been conveyed visually in a visual work whilst on economizing implicit description within your dialogue. Basically, you are profoundly erroneous and are likely contriving an excuse for (and fallacious intellectualization of) your own literary languorousness and mediocrity.

There is dialogue

Their name is 'David Foster Wallace'

Endorsed by Veeky Forums

good post

>btfo
encourages people to disregard your opinion

Good Old Neon though

If they're atheist.