Why the fuck do Russian Novels have so many goddamn characters? Its impossible to keep track of all these assholes!

Why the fuck do Russian Novels have so many goddamn characters? Its impossible to keep track of all these assholes!

>tfw the real idiot is me

Just keep a list dude

A family chart or a relations chart

that's more pleb-tier than subvocalization!

read some chekhov and then disregard the russian canon entirely.

I remember a character in The Idiot named Sotsky and I thought "that's funny, like the Japanese name Satsuki".

That's the only name I remember.

Because they're bad.

Are you Dansk?

A lot of Russian novels have a list of characters in the back of the book, unless you have some gay-ass edition for poorfags.

Also old Russian classics were originally published in parts in various literary magazines. The books themselves are the equivalent of "the complete series on dvd!"

Semi-related question undeserving of its own thread:

Can a novel successfully have multiple main characters with their own narratives or with most readers be easily confused with multiple simultaneous plot lines and become disinterested by the time it takes to properly introduce each character?

Could it work if the story is a character piece that revolves around the prosaic interactions of these characters with one another?

Please respond.I love you

You mean like Ulysses, or JR, or 2666?

Read War and Peace

I wouldn't say disregard the rest, but Chekhov's short stories are bloody brilliant.

So as long as it's written as episodic series of short stories with their own individual story arches it could work?

Thanks.

>yrw you think it's 3 different characters the whole book but it turns out it's only 1 being called by their three different names

I'm reading The Master and Margarita right now. It's my first time reading anything russian and I'm having a hard time with these damned names. Not only does everyone have three names plus sometimes a pet name, but everyone seems to be using which ever they feel like. Had they been english or of my native tounge that might have been fine but since I have no experience with russian names except basic stuff like Ivan it is really confusing.

I've never had problems with too many characters. One of the many benefits of a triple digit iq

You must be retarded or something.

The only problem with ruskie literature, (at least from what I've read) is that everyone is just too verbose, almost pointlessly so.

The beauty of the Russian naming system. It's really pretty easy to figure out though.

Luckily most of the characters for the 1st half are one-and-done chars. Thing is, with all the chaos of the devil and Margarita going on, the entire series can be seen a excellent bildungsroman for Bezdommy, def don't skip the epilogue

First name
Patronymic
Surname

Possible shortening of the name for close friends

Its not hard

you gotta read the translator's notes, homie

>thinks triple digit iq is impressive

No, john you are the dumbass

>reading Crime and Punishment
>there's 100 characters
>they all are referred by like 3 or 4 different names

somehow im managing though.

>woosh

protip: I said "remarkable" for a reason

When you want to be polite just use first name and patronymic, as they do in the book. Last names are almost unsignificant through the novel.

Excuse me, but subvocalization is not a matter of plebs or patricians. It is a need.

cute