Am I pretentious if say 'creme patissiere' instead of 'pastry cream' just so I can say it with a French accent?

Am I pretentious if say 'creme patissiere' instead of 'pastry cream' just so I can say it with a French accent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xev5nDE-IjI
youtube.com/watch?v=YRo9d4Gxj3I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

do you speak French?
are you in France or Montreal?

if either of these questions is no, then yes; you are a raging twat

No, but you are a faggot

No, you're just a cringey loser.

foreign words are a conspiracy to make me feel dumb

t. flyover Veeky Forums NEET

Say it how the people around you say it.

Every kitchen I've worked in they call it creme pat

Frogophone here.
Willing to bet 20 bucks your "French accent" is nowhere near what it should sound like.

If you have fun, it doesn't be really matter.

Aren't accents subject to regional dialect, and different parts of France have different accents, mannerisms, slang words and pronunciation(s) ?

Willing to bet 20 bucks you don't think any non-native is capable of getting the accent right.
Only the chinese are bigger pricks about speaking their language.

Stop with this meme.

Yeah but speaking from experience a ton of anglos who think they sound french when saying some words actually sound all kinds of fucked up to the point that it's not even comprehensible.

French is the dominant language of gastronomy, so you can get away with it. Just keep in mind that in the English speaking world peppering your speech with French terms and idioms is traditionally something the upper classes did. (Because history, 1066, Billy the Conqueror). It was seen as a mark of being well educated/traveled and of high birth. If that's not you it will seem pretentious outside of the kitchen.

Probably. I pronounce it KWEMME PAH-TISS-SEEYEH. I learnt it from this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=xev5nDE-IjI

This guys accent makes me really happy

That is pretty much the dictionary definition of pretentious, yes.

Makes you sound like a poofter

>food network
>south american/italian-american/"Italian"-american presenter with Midwestern accent
>cooking begins normally
>ok everybody it's time to add LA PICO DE GALLO con the FRIJOLES like we do it in COLÓMBIA
>and every brooklyn kid knows that you'd get your asshole finger-fucked by the greasy chef without the MOSSAREL'
>gotta add a little PRO-JEW TOE for that sharpness and smokeyness like mamma used to do
>and remember to put EL CARRRRRNE on the grill for 10 minutes
>¡its so DELICIOSO!

Well done, it means you have class.

That's a wierd looking sandwich

The mentally retarded, deaf, speech impaired and foreigners that LEARN French also don't have odd accents while speaking? French Canadians sound nothing like actual French people.

From my experience as a born and bred US citizen in flyover land who speaks several languages, Americans are the worst at accepting foreigners attempting to speak English. At least in flyover territory, people just stare at them with gaping mouth and don't even try to understand what they're saying. I've spent time in China, Korea and Japan and they were always appreciative of non-native speakers. Haven't been to France, and although I've heard horror stories about their language elitism, I have a hard time believing it exceeds the US.

>are you in France or Montreal?

am I pretentious if I kick the living shit out of you after you do this?

Dire looking sandwich lad.

>French Canadians sound nothing like actual French people

Quebec French is a 400 year old dialect from the absolute boonies of France, A French Canadian is linguistically a 1600s hillbilly.

that's just because these flyover shits think that anyone who isn't a native english speaker is trash cuz NOT REAL AMERICANS, not because they give a fuck about english itself

Not just flyovers friendo

youtube.com/watch?v=YRo9d4Gxj3I

So glad I had a Belgian grandomther, who moved to America in the 50's, so I can butcher both French and Flemish after learning both from. (apparently one loses an accent after a while, so she wasn't so good at annunciation despite her fluency)

is it pretentious to specify crème anglaise?

I wouldn't think so. Creme patissiere and creme anglaise are very similar but different in their application. Being able to specify would demonstrate your knowledge.

Feeling the need to demonstrate knowledge of creams which are only different in application is pretty pretentious if we're being honest here senpai

I feel like that would be asking if your bread was made with bread flour instead of cake flour

using the english term is acceptable, but there is no excuse for using ameridumb pronunciation when ordering something french like a croissant.

>not ironically unironically ordering croy-zants and crayem frayshe

Live a little my dude

im refering more to when its called custard, i prefer set custards but being in a british colony custard often refers to creme anglaise.

>it's an american calls fresh cheese "Queso Fresco" episode

It depends on context, if you're talking to brits about a British dessert and you mean a runny custard just call it custard.

god i hate cunts like you. do you roll the "rr" when you say "burrito" as well?

"um yes, hello sir. may i please have a KWASSAWN?"

like, i don't expect non-native english speakers to bend over backwards to pronounce english words in any particular accent.

I wouldn't even order a burrito in the first place. Too classy for that.

just be happy they are easy to spot