So I'm thinking of making tacos next weekend. You guys know the best type of tortilla bread to use...

So I'm thinking of making tacos next weekend. You guys know the best type of tortilla bread to use? Should I be trying to make the tortillas instead? And also any recommendations for sour creams? Those are the only two things I need. I can make the pico de gallo and the rest on my own.

Other urls found in this thread:

roguepriest.net/2014/05/21/how-are-authentic-mexican-tacos-different-from-american-tacos/
cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6632-how-to-make-creme-fraiche-and-mexican-crema
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also to add, should I go for corn tortillas, wheat, ect?

>You guys know the best type of tortilla bread to use?
>Tortilla bread
>tortilla
>bread
Midwesterner detected.

Its pretty easy to make tortillas, but bags of Masa only come in sizes which you'll never get through unless you're Mexican.

Just grab some corn tortillas.

>tortillas
>bread

>sour cream
>tacos

F l y o v e r

Where do you live? Go to a store that sells to the Mexican communities. If not that. Then buy regular regular torts and steam them, then heat over open burner. You can also buy sour cream and mix in regular cream to a consistency where it coat the back of a spoon evenly.

Homemade tortillas are infinitely superior to anything you can get at a store, even dedicated tortilla shops. However, you'll have to fine the rise masa, which might be difficult if you don't have a mexican market near by.

It will also be a bit annoying if you don't havea big ass pan, or other flat surface to cook/warm them. Cooking one at a time on a small pan is gonna get old pretty fast.

>living among brown people
gross

Thanks I'll try to make them. There are a handful of mexican/latino stores by my place. I'll look for the corn Masa or some other brands.

sour cream goes so well with it though
I tried some on a ground beef taco I had from this Mexican restaurant and pulled pork.
is it really blasphemous?

>tortilla bread

I worked with someone from the east coast and they called tortillas "burrito wrappers".

Buy small, fresh corn tortillas for tacos. Don't try and make them yourself.

Buy onions, tomatoes, limes, cilantro and shred some lettuce.

Sour cream? Nah. Buy some shredded Mexican cheese instead. Or buy some Mexican crema and use that if you think they're going to be really spicy tacos.

The fresh-made tacos are the best by far. Also, I prefer the authentic tacos to the tex-mex one. Authentic would be meat, onions, and a ton of cilantro. And the meat would not be ground beef.

roguepriest.net/2014/05/21/how-are-authentic-mexican-tacos-different-from-american-tacos/

>Or buy some Mexican crema

That's the best, duly noted. Forget about this.

>lettuce
>in a fucking taco

Also, I hope the tomatoes are only used for salsa.

this is probably an incredibly stupid question but I'm unfamiliar with mexican food. What is that sauce they put on street tacos?

There isn't one. Sometimes red or green salsa is provided for you to apply at your own discretion.

okay thanks. I dont usually have mexican food but I love street tacos and I've been beating myself up trying to figure out what that stuff they put on it is

Well that in your pic would be red salsa

>ground beef """ taco""""

Instead of sour cream, make some Mexican-style crema yourself, it's incredibly easy and I think tastes better.

I used this recipe.
cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6632-how-to-make-creme-fraiche-and-mexican-crema

It's one cup heavy cream to 2 tablespoons buttermilk, I made a double recipe both times I've done it. Like it says, combine in a container, I used a washed-out peanut butter jar, covered and left it about 12 hours, then added salt and lime, you could add anything you like here, stirred up and left in the fridge another full day before I used any. You can prepare a few days before. Mine wasn't as thick as sour cream from the store but you could thicken it more by leaving it sitting out longer.

If you live by a place that sells masa they might have a tortilleria too, to save you the trouble. They lack preservatives and get moldy within a few days though so you may not want to buy a huge sack. If you have a carniceria nearby you can usually get pre-marinated taco meats as well.

Taco boats are the future of shell r & d

They sure look nice until you actually try to eat them.

Whenever you make tacos, it's always best to use both types of tortillas (flour and corn), I enjoy both

Never seen sour cream in a taco

>t. Mexican

Lettuce is really common on tacos in the north of mexico

Why waste your time on street food, when making the dish for knife and fork would ensure getting the 20% that normally dribbles down your chin to waste instead gets eaten?

nice recipe
I know salsa fresca is common for tacos but what about guacamole or avocado?

It's for a family get together
Also, I really like tacos and last time I ate them I thought it would be easy enough to make.

Salsa Roja
dried ancho chile (soak in hot water)
dried anaheim chile(soak as above)
chipotle chiles
oregano
cumin
coriander
hot water
tomatoes
onion
garlic
oil
salt and pepper
cilantro
lime
--Blend until smooth

t. latino person

Both are fine, it all comes down to your personal liking. In a taco stand you will rarely see avocado, though, they're too expensive to hand out liberally. They make a slightly watered down version of avocado with milk.

Don't forget to cut a cucumber in slices (without the skin) and add some salt and lemon, it tastes good as a side for tacos

Also, put some jalapeƱos in the grill until they are moderately burnt (or cooked to your personal preference), these are also good to eat along with your tacos

You can buy a cheese like Chihuahua, or manchego, put the tortilla in the grill, melt the cheese then add meat and other stuff like a regular taco, this is called a quesadilla, and I don't know if they're popular in the US

thank you. I'll try it

Fuck off

oaxacan cheese or bust