Last bread thread died, let's get it going again. just pulled this out of the oven, 80% biga white boule

last bread thread died, let's get it going again. just pulled this out of the oven, 80% biga white boule.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0t5rkRNqcAo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landshut_Wedding
thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter
youtube.com/watch?v=lTZeT3MS83g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is biga?

Looks good for a start, but next time you should make it more square so you don't have to shave off any bits to make a perfect kraft cheese and spam sandwich. Also post recipe

biga is a kind of pre-ferment. recipe (a half batch of Ken Forkish's 80% biga white bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast):

For the biga:
>400g unbleached white bread flour
>272g water
>pinch of yeast (literally a pinch, a minuscule amount.)

Mix all these together, cover, let rest at room temp for 12-14 hours until tripled in volume.

Final dough:
>100g unbleached white bread flour
>103g water
>11g salt
>1g (1/4 tsp) yeast

Mix the final dough together, then add all of the biga. Incorporate using the pinch and fold method, cover and let rise 2.5-3 hours, folding 2-3 times during the first 1.5 hours.

Shape and let proof in a brotform (or oiled bowl), while preheating a dutch oven to 450F. Bake covered for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 15-30 minutes depending on how dark you like it (I baked this one for 20 min uncovered.)

i've been trying to make those 'wiener handsemmeln' for nearly one year.
i've been in vienna and had them for breakfest and for 'brotzeit'. wikipedia transalted it to Merienda.
As a bavarian, austria is the nearest country for me, but with all the industrialisation all of the 'handwerk' gets lost.
i've made some poolish today...again...tomorrow i'll try again to form them by hand....again

"merienda" is a snack!

i've never heard of this kind of bread. it's very pretty, but looks difficult to make correctly! good luck!

hahehehe weiner hands

if some is interrestet in making his own toast, i share my receipe for a mold, thats about 11x11cm and about 45cm in length
i've made it by myself from plain steel sheets
it fits just into my oven

750g plain white flour, the higher the gluten the better
20g fresh yeast. i've used dry yeast, but it won't get as fluffy
75g butter
20g salt
600g milk. may more may less

the important task is to knead it very fucking long
i knead it for about 20 to 25 minutes in my bosch-kitchen machine on the second slowest tune
this makes about 1.4kg of dough
i seperate 200g pieces and roll them before i put them in the mold

bake it at about 150-160°C for about an hour
let it cool and enjoy

thanks for this! that's a long time to knead, but it probably makes a very big difference

these are not like those burger buns, but crispy on the outside and like cotton on the inside

youtube.com/watch?v=0t5rkRNqcAo
it looks easy, but it's not even nearly easy

it's kinda making a brioche...long kneading makes it fluffy like cotton

>brotzeit
>literally "bread time"
I love you Austrians/Germans.

come and visit us.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landshut_Wedding
it's only every 4 years. and this year it is

doesn't a lot of kneading make bread dense and chewy generally, because of the development of the gluten?

yah, that was my first thought, but it works
there's also the proteins from the milk and butter

i tried it with replacing one third of the wheat flour with rye flour and added a few drops...about a teaspoon of vinegar to help the ryeflour
it worked out just as normal, but with a light rye taste

Anyone sourdough here?

OP here. not yet, but i wanna try. any recommendations for making a starter?

Not really. Super easy, just mix flour and water. Make sure it's warm, though. Warm means having it in a matter of days, as opposed to weeks when I did it in early Spring/late Winter.

This worked really well for me. The key is non-pateurized fruit juice and organic flour. Mine is going strong at 8 months.

thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter

awesome, thanks. it's roasting in NYC, so warm isn't an issue. i assume i should keep it in my air conditioned room (75-80 degrees) as opposed to my un-air-conditioned kitchen, where it's more like 80-85F?

crumb shot

Yeah, I grew mine @ 75F.

The Fresh Loaf comes up a lot when i search for bread-related questions. seems like a pretty...intense...community. do you recommend posting there or just lurking?

I keep reusing my pics, I need to make more bread I guess.

This little shit knows how to make bread.

youtube.com/watch?v=lTZeT3MS83g

I used to be really good at baking bread but then I moved into a place without a proper oven for 2 years and did no baking and now I have completely lost my bread skill and cannot get it back.

The worst feeling.

I just usually go there when I'm looking for ideas and recipes. Seems like a serious board that knows what they're doing with bread.

that's my read on it it too

this kid is so impressive

oh hey yeah, these looked amazing. make something new!

that's a fucking bummer. do you have a proper oven again?

>now we will cut the dough into 6 pieces
>film edit cut
>suddenly there are 7 pieces

You better fucking believe my jimmies got rustled the fuck up.

That little bitch can die for all I care, his bread looks dense and shitty and dried out. He is baking at too low a temperature for too long. There is absolutely no way those aren't over cooked.

Fuck that little shit.

recipe for you rolls?

There are rare ingredients and techniques which can't be explained. I'm afraid you are out of luck.

I'll tell you one thing... there is no fucking way I'd ever bake my rolls at 350 for fucking forever like that though.

How are you gonna hit that 185F sweet spot where the starches gelatinized about 15 degrees ago but the moisture hasn't been driven out of the bread yet and its all perfect and almost slightly doughy on the inside by fucking baking it forever like that???? What a fucking fuck up.

Little kids like this shouldn't be allowed to post videos. People are just gonna end up copying him and making the worlds shittiest rolls.

My advice to him, with rolls that large (he should probably make them smaller too) would be to bake at closer to 450, preferably in a combo oven for about 18 minutes tops... and probably closer to 12 or 15.

yeah, definitely agree about the low temp, 350F is waaaay to low

you gonna post the recipe for your spiral loaf or be a dick about that too?

>be a dick about that too

You are getting good at this game.

With all honestly tho, his recipe wasn't that bad. And the dough that flopped out of his mixer looked pretty right - maybe just a tad too stiff/dry but very minor. He did well up until the bake.

I've taken to adding a tablespoon or two of vital wheat gluten, a crushed vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and some guar gum to my breads. Helps condition the dough, increases yeast activity and gluten development which makes the dough triple in volume instead of doubling.

ok.. ok... The swirl loaf is two batches of dough at the same hydration levels. One is a white dough with wheat bran flakes in it if memory serves me correctly, and the other layer was a rye bread that had some cocoa powder in it to give it the color. Believe it or not - this is how it is done - you can't taste the cocoa powder when it is baked. I added caraway seeds to the whole thing and it came out delicious. I do not remember exactly how i got it to swirl like that.. I baked it in a nice long wilton loaf pan. I do remember, and I think even have pictures, of a bunch of different layers stacked on top of each other.. so i must have done that and then rolled it out and then rolled it up all swirly like I guess... It was about 2 years ago i think.

Found that layer shot.

Here's my bread, nicely done.
On the top, fried garlic, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and parsley.

Next i'll try to make a bread with low speed fermentation, let's see how it works.

oh look, he's not a total asshole! excellent.

i've thought about adding vital wheat gluten to help with development, but so far have had pretty good turnout without it.

any tips on getting the layers to not separate while baking? does it work because of the same hydration content and doing the final proof with the layers rolled/formed together?

>layer separation

Good question. I never had any issue with layer separation doing breads like this - but i have had many many issues with cinamon raisin swirls...

the difference, perhaps, is that the caraway rye swirl was left to proof for a while, already layered, before being stretched/rolled shaped and left to rise a final time.

My cinamon raisin rolls always have a layer of sugar and cinamon in the roll step, which is the final shaping step before the last rise. This may not work for 2 reasons which are different. The sugar cinamon layer may not fully incorporate or allow adhesion of the layers, and secondly it is not allowed to rise having already been layered before final shaping, instead it is layered during final shaping. I suspect it is the sugar causing a lack of adhesion. I have read that mixing a little flour in with the sugar helps... but i don't trust it and haven't tried it. my cinamon sugar loaves ALWAYS come out with separation.

The picture is not a cinamon raisin loaf, it is a braided king cake, same as In this cake the layers have separated, but i wanted that to happen and it happened because each one of the ropes was rolled up with a coating of butter and cinamon sugar. This creates a flaky layering to the cake and is fucking divine.

makes sense that the layers proofing together would have less separation than a dough with a barrier like sugar or cinnamon in between. i'm inclined to say you're right about the barrier causing a lack of adhesion.

that king cake looks great. you NOLA?

Born in NOLA. Relocated to Georgia in my teens. 20 years later, still can't find a good king cake around here.. had to teach myself how to make one.

I am proud to say that I would give the great bakeries of New Orleans a run for their money in the King Cake game. I would proudly put one of mine up against their best braided $100 versions.

The secret is a brioche bread, and adding a lemon and orange worth of zest to the filling... lots of butter everywhere.

a good king cake is a BEAUTIFUL thing. i'm allergic to cinnamon (it's a migraine trigger), but once a year i resign myself to an afternoon/evening of misery in order to eat some king cake. it's worth it, when it is made right.