Quite honestly, there is no point in reading "great works" if you haven't read the Bible. The Greeks are vital...

Quite honestly, there is no point in reading "great works" if you haven't read the Bible. The Greeks are vital, the Romans important, but the Bible is essential. It is paramount. It is the master key which unlocks all the mysteries of the Western Canon post-antiquity. Yes, you may buy annotated texts with their pittance references to the tomes of Holy Scripture, but unless you have studied and learned from the Word of God, you will never truly grasp what it means to be European, nay! What it means to be human!

Our masterworks are so thoroughly steeped in that divine correspondence that you will not ever grasp their wisdom so long as your revelation is this: "how could a loving God allow the good to suffer?" Your smallness cannot perceive his greatness. Your finite nature cannot grasp his infinity. Your wisdom is subsumed by his foolishness, you strength by his weakness! Even those atheist writers are inspired by his truth. For as it is said: "the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made."

Socrates was without hope in Christ, yet did as God's law required for it was written on his heart. Seek not the fleeting pleasures of prose, but the eternal pleasure of Christ who is himself the sublime which permeates agglomerations of well-wrought words.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQp5mRfT214
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>implying I haven't read the bible

Good on you, friend, but the Bible is not simply a text you read through and set down. Rather, it is an object requiring constant study and reflection.

stop trying already, christianity is a dying religion

richard the lionheart fought saracens for jerusalem, you post memes on Veeky Forums while the pope hesitates to condemn homosexuals

God's designs are greater than ours, and his heavenly kingdom is greater than any earthly state. This world is destined to come to an end, yet we must fight on.

Whether or not you read and believe, it is imperative that you read- otherwise your time spent on this board would be just as well spent chasing the wind.

>that pic

uguuu~ of c-course I'll DEUS VAULT for y-you christ chan

fuck off you degenerate cuck. Christianity made the fucking west, your ancestors must be ashamed.

Oh no, all the pretentious references I won't get!

no, that was the Greco-Roman tradition, sorry :)

I can't wait for the day of the rope when you degenerates and niggers get whats fucking coming

this

the fact that all the christfags tend to be animeposters lends even less credence to this religious revivalism

how very christian of you

I'm actually very fucking christian. Actually read the Bible, Jesus wasn't the hippy cuck you libtards want him to be.

you can stop "trolling" now, honey

Socrates ate Kosher?

>y-you're not a true christian unless you're a leftist like me!

>wait, you're actually a true christian? That means y-you're t-trolling!

Kek. These mental gymnastics are pathetic.

how about you turn your other cheek, christian cuck

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Matthew 10:34

How about I carry on battling against you degenerates like the true christian I am? Or does that trigger you?

>the grew up immersed in Christian culture and understand literary references without having to actually read a thousand pages of Jewish accounting records

How about you stop reading about half gods with swords and start acting like an adult you moron

you just turned this into a cringe thread, well done m8

>claims to be a Christian
>forgets that God does the actual judging of sinners, not sinners themselves

Oh yeah, you're a """"""""""""""christian"""""""""""""" all right. In the same way I'm Santa Claus.

Now piss off back to the other daydream crusaders on /pol/

patrician detected

>the pope hesitates to condemn homosexuals

He doesn't condemn faggots; he condemns faggotry. Learn the difference.

well that's a good thing I'm an eastern orthodox, the redpilled christian

So you can't be a Catholic, then

>implying I'm a faggot
>implying I'm not Catholic

>raised in a religious household
>deconvert as an adult
>tfw understand biblical allusion/references without having to suffer through the bible as a nonbeliever AND don't have to live a boring ass life conforming to restrictive christian dogma
feels good nigga

You're right, you're just a whiny prick.

Also, no one will ever take your internet tuff guy schtick seriously. Come to think of it, why don't you prove me wrong. Go on your gay little crusade against le bluepilled heathens. On your own, I'm sure God would love to assist a fat, no life NEET who uses to Christianity to declare war on a world that has utterly rejected him.

After all, isn't faith dead without deeds?

>tfw you love the christian tradition but to intelligent to make a leap of faith

>After all, isn't faith dead without deeds?

Not entirely, it's really the other way around: good deeds, more than likely, won't be performed without faith. But I can see why someone would think that way. With faith comes the willingness to perform good deeds onto others. The Catholic Church emphatically stresses the importance of helping and loving thy neighbor, as Christ himself taught.

You seem gratuitously angry, user. Perhaps it's time for you to welcome Christ into your life?

youtube.com/watch?v=uQp5mRfT214

oh, he´s not gonna like that one

>Not entirely, it's really the other way around: good deeds, more than likely, won't be performed without faith

And you're not performing the good deed of your little fantasy crusade against the horrible sinners. What does that say about your faith. Might this tell me more than a million angry posts on an anonymous website ever could?

If you were serious about le day of le rope on which you'd totally get together with your righteous band of Christian soldiers, where your whole LARP clan will triumphantly yell "DOOS FAULT!" as you ride towards glorious victory in the name of God, you wouldn't be here. You'd be announcing this, in a goly decree, with your own name under it, you'd do everything to spread this decree far and wide, and you'd act on this decree, as quickly and as decisively as you possibly can.

Honestly, your cowardice, both in anonymity and in action give me your real beliefs, in the most precise way possible. It tells me that you don't believe any of this, but you're just an angry, impotent little man with no balls. Now piss off back to /pol/, it's filled with pussies like you. You'll feel right at home

Wew

Exactly, your pathetic comeback speaks volumes. You're a crusade daydreamer, all talk, no action

Sola fide is a savory lunch salad made from minced language, hold the logic.

If faith implies deeds then one without deeds necessarily doesn't have faith, ergo James is right.

You can't just shuffle words around tlike that

You won't get more out of the literature if you read the Bible, but the literature may let you get more out of the Bible if it's not heretical.

Shitposting aside I agree with OP. You don't need to read the bible cover to cover but without bible literacy you're going to have a hard time understanding any Western literature worth reading.

Is this the cringe thread?

And you're a redditor who results to gratuitous name calling. That's some discussion acumen you've got there, buddy. Seek Christ.

You're not too intelligent to make the leap of faith -- your intelligence is too average. One with a low intellect can effortlessly make the leap of faith, and one with a high intellect can understand the true nature of God and the necessary epistemological sacrifices that must be made to realize that true nature. Only the most average of intelligence is stuck in the equilibrium between realizing there is reality symbolized by the Word of God, but not being intelligence enough to apprehend it.

>reading the bible in a spiritual context rather than an objective literary context.
>from the bottom of my heart, my expectations of the lot of you consists of a lack of participation in the acts aforementioned.

I read it and was culturally immersed in it.

Just a poorly edited collection of Jew lies.

You forgot to unquote man

same, it really is a good feel
and they call us fedoras? this is the cringiest shit i've read in months

You've been meme'd too hard by the church, I doubt you'll ever recover.

>one with a high intellect can understand the true nature of God

Even Aquinas admitted that God is ultimately unknowable to humanity, guess you never really read him after all.

user, tell me about a Veeky Forums board without /pol/fags again.

>Read the Epic of Gilgamesh
>Read the Bible
>Read Homer
>Perform a regressional combinatoric regressional analysis on plot elements making sure to bootstrap the character relationship distribution and accurately estimate allusional outcomes in future literature thus filling my brain with every concept in western literature
>mfw brainlets still "read" fiction while I've transcended from the unreal to the real

The guy is trolling pretty obviously, unless he's a living meme and a caricature of himself.

>implying those arent two different people
can you read?

"O.K. Someday—we're gonna get these fags together and we're gonna shoot them and we won't have to have the daily Bible thread anymore."

"An' Talk about the stranger!'," Lennie shouted. "An' talk 'bout great philosophers. Go on, George! Tell about what we're gonna have on the board and about the nihilist threads without the fedora memes and, Oh boy! The atheist threads that we can have once more . Tell about that George."

"Why'n't you do it yourself? You know all of it."

"No…you tell it. It ain't the same if I tell it. Go on…Talk about the discussions we'll have on Sartre..."

Wew

Sola fide concerns the instrument of justification, which is faith. This instrument produces fruits, which are works. So works are necessary for salvation, which is broader than justification and also includes our sanctification, but they do not effect one's justification. It's not hard to understand, even if you don't think it is scriptural.

James 2:14-26

I will give a longer explanation I suppose. Protestants conceive of salvation as a temporal/logical order which progresses in this manner (simplified):

1. Election -- God choosing those whom he will save
2. Regeneration -- through the proclamation of the gospel, God gives his elect the gift of faith, restoring their will such that they can respond to his call
3. Justification -- caused by faith, this justifies the sinner before God; his sins are forgiven and he is now righteous and thus "saved" so to speak
4. Sanctification -- the ongoing process of bringing the believer into conformity to the will of God, which will continue throughout the believer's life; this is "works"
5. Glorification -- after death, the eternal blessedness of the believer

So sola fide purely concerns step 3: what is the instrument that affects the justification, of forgiveness, of a man. This is considered to be faith. Now if one reaches step 3, they will reach step 4 necessarily, which will include works. But the works do not justify the sinner before God, because he is already justified. You cannot earn forgiveness.

As James says, righteousness was imputed to Abraham because of his faith. The language of impute her is important, which is a forensic reckoning of something. God not infuse Abraham with righteousness, making him actually righteous in his being, through his faith, but reckoned him as righteous because of his faith. This was perfected through Abraham's works, his sanctification, and it is thus true that we are saved by faith and works, broadly speaking. Every use of the term "justification" is not the technical use that we see by Paul, for example. It doesn't even make sense in this context because Abraham is already considered righteous.

But I'm Catholic

>Christianity made the fucking west
This is what /pol/acks actually believe

>1. Election -- God choosing those whom he will save
Is this just a Calvinist thing or does it apply to all (theologically serious) Protestants? I know traces of it can be found in Augustine, but from what I'm aware it was rejected in Arminian theology.

It is a part of the western theological tradition, from Augustine through Aquinas. It has not been universally held, of course. It was a rejected during the Reformation by the Remonstrants (Arminians) who were condemned at the Synod of Dordt. Today it is primarily held by Calvinists.

Arminians will still use the term election, but redefine it as based upon divine foresight of who will freely decide to exercise faith.