Do you listen to anything while you read Veeky Forums?

Do you listen to anything while you read Veeky Forums?

I like to have Bob Ross on in the background with the sound really low.

I need complete silence and no distractions
otherwise my mind starts wandering off
and I don't focus 100% on what I am actually reading.

Chopin.

Wood?

I used to listen to classical music while reading as a teenager. When I was 17 I did a year of intensive daily ear training. Now I can't listen and read at the same time because I'll just end up mentally transcribing what I'm listening to.

On the other hand I can read scores and hear the music in my head now. Definetely worth it.

heuhihihöhöhöhihihhuhuhuhehehehahahahehehehmpfhmpfkikikixaxaxaxajajajajajajajjahheeheeeahahahahahohohohihihhehehehöhööhhelelelele

I listen to juke loudly.

I don't believe you and also jealous.
Which scores do you mean?
What would you be able to transcribe?

How did you go about ear training? Solfège? It is something I need to work on.

/thread

i listen to hardcore harsh noise when reading desu

>I don't believe you and also jealous.
As a skill os extremely common among classical instrumentalists and composers.

>Which scores do you mean?
>What would you be able to transcribe?

I'm 24 now, and I feel I'm able to transcribe everything that uses the 12th tone temperament. Unless you give me contemporary, confusing music I'll have no problems.

Learning how to do it at 17 is actually somewhat late, people usually learn how to do it in their first teenagehood. If you go in the library of your local conservatory you will find lots of kids reading scores, it's that common.
You don't need absolute pitch to do so, but you should be able to remember at least a tone. I, for example, can sing an E whenever I want (it's the first tone you hear when tuning guitars) and work the rest of my transcription from there.

There are entire books written on the subject. You will spend 99% of your first six months listening to mp3 files, trying to guess what intervals and chords are you listening to. Once you get used with the basics you just start transcribing everything you can find until it becomes natural. It took me 15 months of 5daily hours of practice, 3 lessons every week. It has definetely been the most useful musical experience in my life.

>Do you listen to anything while you read Veeky Forums?
not
>WHAT do you lsiten to while you read Veeky Forums?

Screencapped for future use

Well, then I am not jealous.
Like I mean I am a conductor doing music for 17 years, but I doubt you fully understand the thing, to which you refer as "hear music in head". I mean you won't be able to produce the sound from a Symphony partiture? Or, a bit easier, very dense piano piece in fast tempo. I guess you're referring to the ability to hear melody and harmonical support, not to mention your transcribing skill is not like you would imagine each separate note in a polyphonic structure with a single listening, be it even just 3 voices.

Ah, no, I actually hear the music.
You're right on that, it is not that common. Yet, I know for a fact that I'm not the only one being able to do so, I've met quite a few composers and musicians that were able to do so.

I don't know if it is correlated, but mentally I'm blind. If I close my eyes I see blackness, at best some random geometric pattern, yet my inner voice is extremely clear and malleable, and I can simulate virtually every sound in my head.

Though I was already able to do so before training my ears, I just wasnt able to link what I was reading with the sounds in my head.
I'm not sure about it, but I don't think that it can be trained. I've desperatly tried for years to train my visual imagination, but to this day I can't literally picture anything, I guess the same hapoens for aural immagination.

also

>not to mention your transcribing skill is not like you would imagine each separate note in a polyphonic structure with a single listening, be it even just 3 voices.
I can easily do that, but it feels to natural to call it a skill. If I'm reading a fugue I will just hear all the voices in my head. If I misread a voice I will hear the mistake, and knowing myself I'll probably laugh about it.

That's amazing actually.
Even though I study music for so long, I was not able to teach myself things others than I have mentioned above (well, many of my fellow musicians were able to do similar things to yours during the studies).
Let me tell you, I want to do a research in the field and develop the methods of achieving such an inner pitch. There are quite a few mentions regarding this topic, and they are mostly perception- or physics-related, yet they lack the main thing - the application of knowledge of how to teach others to hear music inside their head. One of an old books (something 1920) I have, on the topic of reading symphonic scores from piano with some original research (yet never translated and mostly not heard of), states in the first chapter an unfortunate thing, which is true even for today - you cannot get into a student's head directly and make them hear what you hear.
Would you mind me asking a few questions, like, do you have an e-mail or anything else I could contact you? That would not take much, but your effort is rather impressive (if it is truly how you describe and I understand it).

Drone and ambient stuff, if at all. Stars of the Lid, A Winged Victory For the Sullen, Nils Frahm, Brian Eno, ASMZ's early stuff, Earth's The Bees Made Honey, William Basinski's Disintegration Loops, so on.

No, it's distracting. If I'm reading, I want to focus on reading. If I'm listening to music, I want to focus on that.

Well, going to sleep now.
If you'll find some time, please, contact me, I would really appreciate that.
Here's my e-mail: piano.kreuz[at]protonmail.com