Here rests the Don Quixote reading group

Here rests the Don Quixote reading group.
RIP
01/02/2017 - 10/02/2017

>it took 9 months to read Don Quixote

really makes you think

First to the tenth of February, 2017.

may he rest in peace, Dohn Quick-so-tee, the old card

GTFO Americuck

I am still going, chapter 32 next

Godspeed user.
Maybe the guy who was posting the daily updates for the reading group will come back to guide us.

I gave up while he still posted updates

at ,east K'm reading other books

Please don't die I was just catching up today

We'd be at day 10

Forgot image

>reads babbys first novel on a literature board
>wonders why nobody tags along

Lay off, bully.

The guy who was posting the daily updates just stopped. There's another Don Quixote thread up atm (about whether he should be a religious figure), and someone, presumably that "guy", said he gave up, in so many words.

The chapters should have probably be balanced better in terms of page counts. Those first few chapters are rather short, but they just get longer as you go along.

Veeky Forums has little real discussion of literature. At any given moment the catalog is at least 80% low effort shitposts.

When you get a discussion started, it's almost certain at least half the people involved haven't even read what they're shitposting about and take furious wikipedia searching as a replacement

Still here

10 months isn't bad

Abyone can make the daily thread, even you! Im still reading, tbough a day or two behind. Sad to see so many people drop out, it's not exactly a difficult novel, just long. So much for all the readers.

The Greek readalong happened during the same time, which split the board. I'm still on board with Don Quixote though.

Personally I'm glad we broke his spirit. I told him that shit was pointless on Veeky Forums.

Wasn't the Count of Monte Cristo read through successful? Why would this one be any different?

COMC was successful, I think War & Peace was as well. But between those two and Quixote, it's a higher than average amount of readthrough threads, and they can get overwhelming.

There's also a Greeks thread running I think, if sporadically.

We should do a short book next, and have it be like only 20 pages a day. The problem is that this encompasses all of someone's daily reading, so if someone wants to join the read through they have to put aside everything they've been reading.

not bad desu i got to like page 200 before i gave up the pace

i agree with this
there's no way im going to keep pace on a book with almost half a million words

my vote is shadow of a torturer because there's lots to be said and lots to be asked and everyone apparently likes it

>lit can't even read like 40 pages a day
This board has really gone to shit

Would anyone like to take part in a readthrough of something SFF? I was thinking of something by Philip K. Dick.

You could always make a thread with a strawpoll link with a list of possible books to read.

I wasn't even part of the group because the same thing happened to all the reading groups in the last few years. Veeky Forums is a joke, they can't even read 10 fucking pages a day and if I do under 60 I feel bad while having a full time job.

*hiss*

I've been reading Don Quixote for six months now and I'm 63% through.

Holy shit what's the point of reading it even, don't you feel fucking embarrassed?

It's a great book. Why would I stop reading a great book out of embarrassment?

It took me like 3 weeks to read Don Quixote.

I didn't even care for it that much.

What's the point of reading it even? Some sense of duty?

That's almost as embarrassing as not caring for the book in the first place.

I bet you remember nothing because you are reading it so disjointed. How can you say you enjoy the book if you don't even want to dedicate 30minutes a day to read it?

>Veeky Forums

I guess I better get back to actually reading before I turn out to be such a sad idiot like you.

>not leaving a six month break inbetween part 1 and 2
What a pleb

>implying

>before
user...

That's probably why it took so short of a time. The books I care about least I tend to breeze through. It takes me longer to read a book I'm invested in, because like to meditate on it and reread passages over that are particulalrly meaningful or at least aesthetic. It took me almost two months to read the Tunnel, even if I think Gass is a fucking hack.

I told you losers we should have read Moby Penis instead

the fahrenheit is wrong.
At 0ÂșC water freezes at 460mmHg.
There is no logical starting point to the fahrenheit scale.

Moby Dick would've gone way worse. Large swaths of that book don't pertain to the main narrative at all

infinite jest 2014 - failed
infinite jest 2015 - failed
gravity's rainbow 2015 - failed
ulysses 2016 - failed
don quixote 2017 - failed
>war and peace 2017 - completed
how did they do it bros

>at ,east K'm reading other books
at least you're not writing them

War and Peace is the easiest book to read on that list

Ruthless.

>only reading 20 pages a day

Why is the reading group dead? I'm still up for it but I dont know what day we are on.

Who would be interested in a Bottom's Dream read-through?

IJ 2016 also failed

But these are still positive because they get people reading. Even if they only keep pace for a few days, they still finish the book eventually.

Too long for a read through.
If past read throughs have taught us anything, it's that long books should be avoided.
I do like you though, so don't think this reply means I think less of you.

Bump, because why not

Press F to pay respects

> It took me 3 months to finish it.

Was it bad?

Knowing that Don Quixote and Sancho exist, even just fictionally, is a relief

Thank you Cervantes