What books are you reading and what do you think so far?

What books are you reading and what do you think so far?

The orchard keeper, my first McCarthy. It's very dense, fractured and every page there's at least 2 words i need to look up. I'm kinda enjoying it in an almost masochistic way, it's a tough read.

I recommend Suttree next. It's McCarthy's best work.

I was thinking of going chronologically, Suttree is like his 4th or 5th right? But yeah i heard that's his best along with Blood Meridian. Are they "harder" than The Orchard Keeper? Because that'd kill me.

Ilias.
It's epic. Name me better book capturing war between gods and people.

I haven't read The Orchard Keeper, maybe someone else can correct me on this, but Suttree is one of his most easy to read and enjoyable books. Truly a contrast to the complexity of Blood Meridian.

My Diary

Book of Job

nah

ok

The Sword of the Lictor, it's badass. I'm really enjoying BoTNS and I think I'm gonna read more of Wolfe's works when I'm done with it.

Read the western canon

Is it good?

Ulysses
Best book I ever read, seriously. Read Dubliners and Portrait before it and I fucking love Joyce

Joyce is one of the all-time greats, certainly.

good post

I'm reading Mine by Peter Sotos. Him, William Bennett, and the others, make up what I believe to be the most important philosophical art movement of the epoch.

Sotos tackles the same ideas as McLuhan and the others of his stripe do, only he developed the ideas independently and through a deeply personal lens. It's important stuff.

Growth of the Soil. It's comfy af so far, I'm a little scared that something bad is gonna happen to Isak tho. He a good boy.

"El infinito es sólo una forma de hablar" by Horacio Verzi, probably one of the finest works in Spanish of the XXI century I've read.

Is it your favorite book by Hamsun so far?

starting this

#scared

I'm reading All the King's Men for class, and it's becoming a favorite of mine. I'm reading Into the Wild for my book club and it's a good escape from heavier lit and school stuff. I originally thought that I'd hate it but it's not too bad. I'm also reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time because my lit teacher recommended it to me and said she'd discuss it with me, another lit teacher, and my former lang teacher. I just started it and the language is pretty simple but I'm intrigued.

I actually started with it, was that a bad move? I want to read Hunger and On Overgrown Paths though.

I'm interested in reading this too.

Apollonius - On Conics
John Maynard Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money

Also, my thoughts are that Apollonius is a fucking genius and so is Keynes. Keynes theories are extremely well developed, and inherently do NOT involve government intervention unless in the state of a crisis so I am ok with this.

by the end it's comforting. hang in there

thanks for the encouraging words

I started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man a couple days ago and and loving it

I was reading Hamlet prior and kind of stopped reading as much, but I think this book will get me back in the swing of things

Just finished Hard to be a God - Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

I didn't really like the first couple chapters and feared the whole book was going to be slow and mundane like that but it definitely picked up and became very interesting. This book / Roadside Picnic by the same guys are both great reads.