Do you think martian colony is possible in today's technology

Do you think martian colony is possible in today's technology.
If so, would it be economical to create it?

Possible? Yes.
Economical? No.

Could it ever be economical? The only resource there that i can think of is iron. And we have tons of it on earth.

Yes, if can pump enough money. There's no realistic way to make it profitable though.

Possible? Yes.
Economical? Mine Asteroids then Mars.
>Why mine asteroids?
1 asteroid have is worth above $1 trillion in Platinum.
>Mine on Mars?
Mars have plenty of Iron Ore.

Mars should have most of the same metal ores that earth does since it formed out of the same stuff. Plus it has a lower escape velocity so it's easier to get them off world.

There's nothing on mars of significant value. The moon is more likely if we get the ball rolling on fusion (which I dont think will happen for a couple hundred years), that niggas got H4

Platinums handy and all, but dont think it will be $1 trillion worth, the value of platinum will go way down. The platinum market will become more valuable though, so a good place to invest.

Only an idiot would say it's not worth it. Look at what happened to America after we colonized it. Biggest economical superpower.

>king of the rust dust

>iron
For now, but Earth's resources won't last forever. Especially when developing countries have a need for it.

Mars has all the resources necessary to build a self-sustaining, economically viable colony.

Nobody's going to export raw materials from Mars to Earth for a very long time. There's nothing on Mars that isn't already in abundant supply on Earth for a far smaller energy cost.

Of course they won't. Even Musk said that it wouldn't make sense. Doesn't change a thing about the viability of a self-sufficient colony.

With today's technology the best we can do is to put a space station in Earth orbit. Of course it will always just cost us money and resources. With future technology a colony on the moon will become possible. Mars is just a meme. Even sky-castles on Venus make more sense then a Martian colony.

you can use Mars as an outpost for asteroid mining operations.

just enough gravity to make things comfortable. while still low enough to get things into orbit easily.

>Is it possible?
Yes, although without better radiation shielding most of your colonists will have cancer.

I'm totally fine with this and if I was the dictator of a small island country with an inexplicably well funded space program I'd fucking be going there myself, because fuck you Mars, bitch.

>Is it economical?
Not at all in the short term. In the long term I think it could be useful. Plenty of resources and a lower escape velocity - It'd be a good place to put a permanent living space for people who work on spacecraft construction (probably based on one of the moons or in space though), that way you don't need to build a entire habitat and they can just commute for so long out of every year using some sort of cheapo space shuttle.

The Moon would be a better port for Earth, although if you don't want muscle atrophy you'd still have to transport people back and forth. It's going to be a logisical nightmare, but that's really all it is. And that can be worked out pretty easily once we have rich assholes who are willing to pay other assholes to fix it.

Would it be viable to have probes redirect astroids to impact earth in quarries and then mine them?

Yes, however smashing asteroids into Earth would be very dangerous.
It could wipe out cities or even entire countries by mistake depending on the size.
Some Asteroid impacts could be more powerful than nukes but at least it won't emit radiation.

So I could be James bond villian by starting an astroid redirect service and then aiming an astroid at all major cities

Yes and yes. The trouble is that it will be initially diffcult and expensive, hence why we're stuck in a local optimum.

Do you any idea the start up cost? The permits, the equiptment, the staff? Not to mention you'd only end up spending the rest of your life in an isolation cube.

>possible
if we commit enough resources, yes
>economical
no

Learn to explain you big fucking dumb retard. Don't give your input unless you can muster up more than yes or no. Stupid little bitch.

Whats your problem lol

>possible?
Can the colonists die of cancer the same year they arrived?

>economical?
Is there a market for horrible radiation poisoning?

Iridium

I don't know about their technology, but I'm sure they look like this