Are you the designated chef when you are around family and friends?

Are you the designated chef when you are around family and friends?

>tfw no one lets me cook but I'm better than everyone else

You're a fucking pussy. Just tell your family you want to make something.

I did so 10 years ago when I was 16, and ever since then I'm one of the people who makes at least A dish at a family gathering/weekend/trip.

You'll get some shit, might fuck up, but just keep at it and don't pussy out.

Tell them they are not the boss of you, and let you cook something. Don't be an asshole, but be assertive, and soon enough you will be the primary chef for the senpai

Fuck no, mom's the cook in the family and I just go out for food with friends. Only ever show off my cooking to my girlfriend, I share recipes with friends sometimes though.

>Aunt keeps adding flour slurry to gravy
>gravy isn't even boiling so the flour can't gelatinize
>try and stop the madness
>it is served anyways and as it cools it becomes a block of gelatinous brown goo

JUST LET ME HANDLE IT REEEE

I'm better than anyone else too, but they don't let me cook either. Perhaps because my cooking is somewhat strange to them, since

>some of the sauces do not contain cream ( shocker! )
>temperature in the oven matters.
>i don't put half a bottle oil into a pot of cooked pasta to "prevent sticking"

at least some recognized the sous-vide meat to be superior to other methods...

I have a similar position in my family. I'm the one who cooks "weird healthy" stuff that never has enough buttah and sugah, and yet they always compliment everything I make and whine when they fail to do something like it.

Hell no, I only cook for myself or my woman. The last thing I want is my family to ask me to cook when I drive over to visit them for holidays and stuff.

>user can you cook this? It always comes out better when you do it than when I do it
>user why is it taking so long? Can't you just put it in the microwave to speed it up?

Usually when I fly back home from time to time for various holidays I would help with the preparations of food for the celebration as well as prepare at least one dinner.

My mother defers to me in terms of preparing meat, and oriental food. But when it comes to more traditional things like pierogi or golabki my mother and grandmother are boss.

I really need to step up my pierogi game.

Sweetheart, everyone just want to have a good time without one of your "meals". Just relax and eat the food.

fuck off auntie

oh sweetie. it's because everyone thinks you're weird and gross and that you lack basic hygiene

My dad doesn't know how to do anything other then grill meat, he does it all right, but thats all he can do. My mom could literally burn water. So yeah, I took over cooking for my family when I was about 17 and it never went back.

I cook for all the holidays and family gatherings, plus just regular daily meals. I still let my dad grill when the weather is nice, he enjoys it.

It's pretty much the same for me, save different ethnic background so we don't do pierogis.

My mother knows if she tasks me with the main dish I'll be using all of my autism to get it to levels she can't even come close to.
My secret is I get motivated by the delicious local products SHE buys, and don't have the patience to buy as high quality ingredients the rest of the year. I really don't want to mess up what is usually my best dish of the year.

I mean last christmas I had to make a sweet and sour pork loin thing with oranges, she bought fucking orange flowers honey! And that was a very minor ingredient.

>but I'm better than everyone else

maybe they hate your attitude.

also what said

>Are you the designated chef when you are around family and friends?
>>tfw no one lets me cook but I'm better than everyone else
Get your family to like and respect you for not being a dick. You have a giant chip on your shoulder to be thought of smarter than them. Stop trying to do that and you'll finally win. Go be financially respected. That's the real key with family.

If you want to contribute to family gatherings, bring something from home. A big jar full of cookies, brownies, cheese crackers, caramel popcorn balls, peanut brittle, pralines. Great breadsticks for dinner. A tray of cinnamon rolls or a homemade danish. Nothing that uses up their room in the fridge, demands you get to use the oven to warm it up, or competes with actual meal menus, but just provides an extra snack or treat with coffee.

That's mostly true for me too. My grandmother always knows where to buy good meat and stuff.

I should really spend more time learning from her the traditional foods while she's still alive. Too bad I don't live in my home country anymore.

My parents force me to cook dinner every single fucking day.
I'm at university now, since I've been back for summer they've been forcing me again. At least it got me to be good at cooking.
Also, I'm vegan at the university but at home dad refuses to eat any meal that doesn't include meat. It's ridiculous.

Pic related is the kind of stuff I normally cook for them, this is pork I made two days ago

looks alright, if youre living at home i think its only fair you cook

You overcooked the pork, vegan. It shouldn't be over medium which would leave a light pink.

If I was a vegan and being forced to cook for ungrateful people who demanded meat in everything, I'd over cook the meat too.

You also overcooked the potatoes.
I've found that to be one of the the things that take a lot of trial and error. Try to make the conditions the same every time, i.e. drop them in boiling water and the time it with your phone. Write down the results and tweak the time accordingly. It takes some work but a well cooked potat is very different from the overboiled mess in that photo.

I own a liquor store, so it's expected of me to bring cases of top-shelf booze to family events, gratis. The only problem with this is I have 7 siblings, 13 cousins and all of their children are old enough to drink. Needless to say $1,000 is a light budget for wine/booze on any given holiday. I'm also a CIA alum, so it's expected I prepare food, or cater it by hiring CIA kids to cook for family events.

I don't mind it really, but $3,000+ per holiday is a bit much. Good thing I can afford it. Mooching motherfuckers.

>I'm better than everyone else

There's your problem faggot. Stop with the attitude.

I am definitely the designated cook in my family, though all of my siblings are good cooks, so I'm rarely going it alone. And I'm not even the best cook among us. I just happen to be the most efficient - I can put together something that everyone will like with the least amount of fuss, so I end up being the one they turn to. Given unlimited time and a large budget for ingredients my mom, my sister and brother could all mop the floor with my ass. But when it comes down to us all having had a few drinks, these are the ingredients we've got and we'd all like to eat in an hour or so I'm far and away the strongest cook of the bunch. So it falls to me. But they're all right there if I need to delegate anything. I'm from one of those families where everyone except dad steps up in the kitchen.

>tfw noone to cook for
I am not a good cok by any means but the few things I know how to do turn out amazingly well. Though I'm worried that nobody else will enjoy them as much as I do.

Even then, as a permavirgin with no very few friends, I guess I'll never find out if people like my food.

My parents like them that way. I've been cooking them every day for nearly a decade, when I cook them for myself they're more firm.

The pork however, thanks for the tip, it was my first time roasting pork.

It was kinda hard because parents don't have an oven at home, just a grill.

I usually cook for friends rather than dick around about what take out to order. No one complains

The only family members I spend any time with is my parents and I told my "friends" to fuck off forever a few months ago. My dad and I eat at restaurants, but when I go to my mom's house, I cook often. Last weekend, I made BBQ beef ribs, steamed corn on the cob, and my first batch of slaw. The ribs were tough, as I only had an hour to prepare them, but the vegetable sides were delicious. Ended up eating about 10 ounces of the slaw. Modified a slaw sauce recipe I found online, turned out not so sweet and a little extra vinegary, perfect for my tastes.

And what did your progenitors think of it?

She thought the dinner was great except for the ribs being tough. Normally, we slow-cook them before roasting and adding the sauce.

>Family
My mother or grandmother
>Friends
Me

The only reason I'm not the main cook for my family is because my mother and grandmother will not let anyone else in the kitchen, even if it's just to help while they cook.

>You'll get some shit, might fuck up, but just keep at it and don't pussy out.
this oh my god
never be afraid to experiment with your cooking
sometimes you'll fuck up catastrophically but it's okay

actually this
just be confident op
tell em u want to cook
dont be a cuck

everytime i try to cook something, they fuck it up

> making spaghetti al aglio olio
> mom comes in, asks her where she keep parsley
> "don't worry i'll dice it"
> oh ok thanks