What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Soup Stones? Do they really work?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Soup Stones? Do they really work?

Pic related, it's a soupstone I bought in Hawaii a while back.

Other urls found in this thread:

thenourishinghome.com/2012/09/stone-soup-memories-in-the-making/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sounds retarded.

what the fuck is a soup stone

i have never heard of soup stones. what are they supposed to do?

add flavor to the soup

Are you refering to the old parable of stone soup? The one where a pair of travelers trick a whole village of greedy people into sharing with one another and the travelers by pretending to be making soup from just a stone and water, but every time a villager passed and asked what they were doing they convinced them to spare a few vegetables to make the soup better in exchange for a bowl of it when it was done. By the time the "stone soup" was ready, the travelers and villagers had a huge pot of vegetable stew and the travelers threw the stone out, revealing their well-intentioned deception and lesson in sharing.

no its literally a rock that you put in your soup

its supposed to taste really fucking good

Yeah that's literaly the white lie the travelers tell in the story. Except someone seems to have used it in more malicious way in order to trick you into buying a worthless rock.

supposedly adds minerals to the soup while it cooks it's some made up bs to sell to fags that want to eat "organic" food

That's not a thing

it's a heatsink, which has interesting potential, and since stone is porous will probably make sure everything is a little bit more seasoned after the first couple uses

paying for a special rock is kind of crazy tho

also ffs it's supposed to go in the pot while you boil a couple gallons, not in your bowl after you reheat campbell's. if it does anything it will be there.

(((travellers)))

travelers are gypsies, you fucking idiot.

Never heard of the Wandering Jew? Forced to travel without a home because he laughed at Christ?

god, shut up. Romanies are not jews.

sorry, i don't pay much attention to fanfiction

That was one of my favorite moral stories as a kid, my dad and I joke about it to this day.

I'm just hoping this is the Veeky Forums version of the finger box lol

I really liked this story when I was little, thanks for reminding me of it.

I always thought you were supposed to head the stones and add them to the soup to keep it warm

except that's not what OP is talking about

OP is talking about those rock things you buy at Walmart which add flavor to the soup

Oh, that's dumb.

It's a very capitalist parable. The labourers have vegetables which are of little value until the capitalists come along to provide the capital (in the form of a cauldron) necessary to convert the product of labour into a finished product of greater value, from which they can provide for themselves and the labourers as well.

Only when you frame it that way after attending your initial university civics classes.

It's more a parable about community with a heavy hand or irony.

That picture isn't even yours.

thenourishinghome.com/2012/09/stone-soup-memories-in-the-making/

Pretty poor attempt at shitposting, However, I love that old fable, so this thread is pretty comfy.

Rocks would perform better as heat sinks outside of the pot, in direct contact with the heat source. Imbuing flavor in porous rock is an interesting idea, as all cookware eventually retains flavors with long use (e.g. seasoned woks).

Kek.

it would make sense if the stone was made of msg

I like this, because it's the kind of pointless tradition that gives cultures, real or fictional, their unique charm. It elevates it from a simple food item to another immersion-enhancing detail.

>bought

Dude, just go to the nearest creek and find a rock for free. Fucking cityfags continually amaze me with their ignorance of nature. By the way, the whole concept seems like pseudo-scientific bullshit on the same level as Himalayan sea salt and magnetic healing bracelets.

Not pointless at all. If you want to boil something and do not have a vessel capable of going on direct fire you stick a rock in your fire and then drop it in your boiling vessel. Instant boiling water.

>Pic related, it's a soupstone I bought in Hawaii
Faggot.

Why the fuck does that matter? This isn't some camwhore thread where it's really just a fat neckbeard pretending to be a girl. Why do you think an entire discussion about soup stones is invalidated by the image being from Google?

>Why do you think an entire discussion about soup stones is invalidated by the image being from Google?
Because the man lied in the post?

This is exactly the way native americans cooked soups and stews in leather bags pre-contact. Some people still use the technique while wilderness trekking to eliminate the need to carry bulky and heavy pots. It can also be used to purify water.