What do I do after I'm done with the greeks?

What do I do after I'm done with the greeks?

Move on to the Hebrews and Christians

You continue with the Romans.

Go back and read them over again and keep repeating that.
You start with the Greeks, and you end with the Greeks.

The Greeks are the logical conclusion to Literature. Nothing else is gained from reading anything else.

and then you continue with 180 existing countries

Descartes, Hume, Kant

Nothing, you've completed literature.
Move on to another medium

Unironic answer: anywhere you want. Greeks paved way to the foundation of philosophy, theology, and mythology. Now that you have the bedrock down, you can confidently choose and enjoy any literary period.

Wrong. Only Western and some far Eastern countries are worth your time.

Star Wars

Which ones?

You can console yourself by reading Φώτιος

How can one be "done" with the Greeks? I'm reading The Odyssey right now, I'm going to go back and read a good translation of Gilgamesh before coming back to the Iliad, then Oedipus Rex and The Republic, but what other works should I read before I can be considered "done" with the Greeks and start moving on to the romans and the KJV?

There is no end and no beginning.

Only the greeks are real.
The greeks is all there is.

Descartes. Hume, Nietzsche*

read them again

then this

yeah

Hi, I'm 12, what are greeks?

Okay, unironically (which is probably worse), I am 21 and I don't know what "the greeks" encompasses, so if anybody could explain, please do.

If you haven't, learn Greek and read them properly.

Then learn Latin and read the Romans.

Fuck this chart. I made a better chart.

THERE. IS. A. CHART.
WHY THE FUCK DOES NO-ONE EVER READ THE STICKY?

Woah, I feel even more stupid now. Sorry for not reading the sticky. Thanks a lot!

have u read Republic?

If you want my advice:
>Greeks, (see chart).
>Romans, (see my chart, )
>Christians, up to the 19th Century, (This includes The Bible, St. Augustine, Aquinus, Dante, Milton, and should also involve reading Gilgamesh, The Egyptians, The Avestas, and all the other stuff that influenced the original Bible in the first place)
>Muslims, (The Quran, Hadiths, Avicenna, Arabian Nights, etc.)
>Shakespeare, (self explanatory)
>Western Philosophers from Descartes to De Beauvoir/Wittgenstein (Descartes, Spinoza, Liebniz, Locke, Hume, Voltaire, Rousseau, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Marx, Nietzsche, Frege, Russell, Husserl, Heidegger, Ayer, Sartre, Camus, Carnap, Wittgenstein, De Beauvoir, Foucalt, and Derrida)
After that, you're set to read basically whatever the fuck you want.

>Arabian Nights
Arabian Nights isn't relevant. Arabs consider it to be low literature for women and children.

Resume with the romans and master the medievals. Then move to Descartes, Spinoza, Hume, etc.
Now that I think of it, a "Master the Medievals" chart would be great.

>not including Chaucer and Dante

I did.
>The Bible, St. Augustine, Aquinas, Dante

ignore this garbage

No Chaucer though. You should read Chaucer before reading Shakespeare.

Because you need to read in the original language to preserve its value? I doubt anyone here has the time or capacity to pick up both Greek and Latin.

Also this Start With the Greeks bullshit is so tiresome; yes, the Greeks paved the way for Western Civilization but that is all. There are other cultures and civilizations which produced works just as 'deep' you pseudo.

Starting with the Greeks has some merit to it though because it introduced many of the concepts other philosophers set out to tackle. One could also start with Descartes however