'The most beautiful book in english language' - Ezra Pound

>'The most beautiful book in english language' - Ezra Pound
Are you finally ready to admit that translations have a right to exist?

I thought it pretty overrated. I prefer the gospel of Luke.

Ezra Pound actually proves that translations might as well be considered separate books from the original.

Finished it last year was a poetic orgy

Source for this quote? Cant seem to find anything Pound says on Ovid

ABC of Reading and he also mentions it in Confucius to Cummings.

90% of translations are shit though. Ezra Pound was a proponent of multilingualism and thought that translations were new works in themselves (hence why he took so many liberties in Cathay)

And he said himself that Homer is untranslatable.

Cool, seems I need to check out his essays

But he did say ENGLISH language, the question is what translation he was talking about.

Borges thought and acted the same way

It's the only way to actually handle translations

Translations in literature are no different than Hollywood remakes of foreign movies and that's how you should handle and engage with them

You don't need a quote from some faggot to understand the translation thing is a dumb meme that only a handful of underage actually believe in. I mean just imagine the kind of person that would find revelatory the idea that translations aren't one for one with the original text.
I stand firm to the conviction that unless you plan on using the language for other things as well, it's absolute waste of time for your average Veeky Forums shut-in to learn an entire language for the sole reason of reading something in the original. As in, more of a waste of time than being a Veeky Forums shut-in in the first place. Even worse if it's done for some misplaced hedonistic fedora tipping "aesthetic" ideal. Don't worship the fucking words.

'Waste of time' is relative.

Some people shitpost on imageboards, others learn Greek to read Homer.

It's still good to know multiple languages even if it was a dumb reason

Goldman's is actually a really bad translation. Stop fetishizing mediocre books because of its influence on other writers.

kek, you're the type of low commitment pleb that Ezra Pound despised. You're just a consumer. A real artist or serious reader would do well to learn languages for reading great literature. You think learning Greek for Homer or Italian for Dante is dumb?

I pity you. You will always be average.

It's not 1:1 with the Latin, but no translation is. Golding is a master poet and wrote a great book in English.

t. assblasted monolingual retard

sure, but Ezra also said you couldn't be serious about understanding English poetry without being able to read several other languages so what's your point?

Veeky Forums autist thinks going on Duolingo to later force himself through texts everyone including his literary idols have read in translation because he thinks it makes him a "true artist". I bet your mom tells everyone you're so smart.
If you're an artist then contribute something. Make art instead of wasting your life fetishising words.

kek, your inferiority complex is showing

90% of books are shit as well. Can't make a good translation of a shitty Original.

Most translations of great works are shit. Especially translations from Greek will never capture the original.

Pound's translations are GOAT though, especially his version of The Seafarer