I bought a copy of this fr less than a dollar today but now seeing it's written in 1954 i'm worried it's outdated...

i bought a copy of this fr less than a dollar today but now seeing it's written in 1954 i'm worried it's outdated. does anyone know if this is useful information or will it just cloud my thoughts with out dated ideas?

Read the Routledge one

read the primary source, draw your own consequences. secondary will go down as some fuck misinterpreting the primal text anyways.

Developmental psychology is basically philosophy
It's hard to outdated or disprove anything
Freud is still taught in psych classes

At least the abstract stuff Freud is famous for

my favorite erotica involves sons imoregnating their mothers

i bought a copy of this fr less than a dollar today but now seeing it's written in 1320 i'm worried it's outdated. does anyone know if this is useful information or will it just cloud my thoughts with out dated ideas?

god isn't real you fucking dweeb

what's the difference?
aren't some of freud's ideas considered wrong by now? i think I read somewhere he prescribed sexual repression and cocaine. i don't really know what i'm talking about but I don't care to read this if it's not at least kind of true. do they teach him as a stepping stone to modern understanding or could a newb walk away with something valuable?
i'm not really some scholar, i just want a good book. i got this thin book for some change and just want to know if reading this will leave me with the illusion of valid information. i haven't picked up a psychology book in about 7 years

I'll hijack the thread.
Where should I start with Freud, considering that I'm more interested on the sexual models, mass psychology and neurosis?

i was actually god the whole time
plot twisted
m night shamalamadingdong

>some of freud's ideas considered wrong
there are warring schools of psychology. the vygotskians vs the behaviourists vs the freudians etc. i've seen freud get plenty of hate here but freudianism definitely still has its adherents

As a Psychology student I recommend trying "The Freud Encyclopedia Theory Therapy and Culture" edited by Edward Erwin. Should cost around $50 for a hard copy

Fraudian psychology has been dead for years.
Psycho-analysts are literal scammers who practice pseudo-science.

Like I said there is much debate about his work

He wrote a lot more than about penis envy and Oedipus complexes
You'll cover psychosexual theory in almost any psych class you sign up for

"The half life of knowledge" as some people like to call it has the shortest period in physcology. More than any other science if you call can it a science. So they age terribly as a whole

Considering the book is based directly on the research of a particular person who has become ubiquitous in the science it isn't held to the same standard

I'm being elusive about your question, but that isn't problematic because. I believe thsy his research was fundementally flawed from the get go

Freud is good at firing those neurons, if you want the most correct, up to date information, you'd be better off reading nothing besides textbooks and JSTOR. And that would fucking suck.

Hmmm... this book about phrenology is from 1987... I don't want to be behind the times here...

And yet there's Lacan and Zizek.
You might as well just read it, I mean, we read shit like Mr. Featherless Biped and Myth of Metals, and that's definitely essential anyway. You don't just read Democritus and go home, for example.

Sure, but people don't read Freud as a historical document or an influential philosophical account from turn of the century Europe, they read it as an empirical theory of the human mind, which is patently false. Every book about Freud should have a brief preface about the state of the science about his ideas, to help end the cult that still follows him.

Many terms in current cognitive psychology come from concepts taken from psychoanalysis, they just have a different name for it. For example, the whole pulsion system and the unconscious in psychoanalysis are somewhat the foundations for the belief system in cognitive psychology.

>reading Freud

>concerned with outdated ideas

Wew lad.

you sound like a kid who fantasizes on raping his mother.

plenty of useful ideas and insights
freud was a great writer too

almost every social interaction i have in life reassures freud's ideas for me, however as it's all pseudo-science none of it can really be tested, even some of his less cocaine-enhanced ideas

protip though: if you ever take a psych class and the teacher presents freud like a crazy druggie lunatic, drop out of that class immediately because the teacher is a retard