Indogermanic languages are the foundation of western civilization

>indogermanic languages are the foundation of western civilization
>indogermanic
>germanic

Why are you not starting to learn german RIGHT NOW, Veeky Forums?

I've been studying German for 5 years now.
Can someone recommend me good novels written in German?

im a fucking fan of hitler. he was based and redpilled as fuck

Ich spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch

Germanys contributions to the western civilization:
>communism
>fascism
>millions upon millions of the dead, industries destroyed, progress halted
>philosophers that teenagers like
Thank you Germany!

indogermanic? i kekd

>progress

you're gross

>it's another germanic means descended from modern german episode

Thomas Young first used the term Indo-European in 1813, deriving from the geographical extremes of the language family: from Western Europe to North India.[7][8] A synonym is Indo-Germanic (Idg. or IdG.), specifying the family's southeasternmost and northwesternmost branches. This first appeared in French (indo-germanique) in 1810 in the work of Conrad Malte-Brun; in most languages this term is now dated or less common than Indo-European, although in German indogermanisch remains the standard scientific term. A number of other synonymous terms have also been used.

So what? Naming it Indo-Germanic doesn't make the germanic part more relevant than the Greek or Latin

Are you stupid? Greek and Latin languages descened from indogermanic/indoeuropean languages. Indo is the important part.

Die Verwandlung by Franz Kafka

What?

... lutsch mein schwanz. You clearly don't know how to read. The name it's arbitrary.

Ancient greek is a language rooted in indogermanic language, which was introduced in greece when a huge migration kind of fucked up the mykanean realms and let to the dark age, that lasted for several hundreds of years.

And you don't understand what indogermanic root means. The way it is named may be arbitrary but it describes the language that was transported to europe via the germanic migration

LOL wtf. Have you read OP post?

That terminology stopped being linguistically relevant in the 1930s. Use Indo-European like a Normal person you LARPy Faggot.

>communism
jews != germans

Don't listen to him

I'm sorry, there are none

I've tried repeatedly and can't grasp it.

>germans were beat by a bunch of slavs and anglos
embarrasing

>dGw gutes Verständnis aber schlecht Wortschatz
I've bought a bilingual Hölderlin selection, but my vocabulary is very limited. Still, that's how you learn it.

How fluent are you? Can you read news articles, conversation? Kafka is great but it's very dry, precise language. I imagine it's not exactly an easy read for a non-native speaker. I'd personally recommend Tod in Venedig

>progress halted
>progress
:^)

Die Schachnovelle - Stefan Zweig
Leutnant Gustl - Arthur Schnitzler
Der Schimmelreiter - Theodor Storm
Tristan - Thomas Mann
Kleider machen Leute - Gottfried Keller
Der arme Spielmann - Franz Grillparzer

Günter Grass - Die Blechtrommel
Hermann Hesse - Der Steppenwolf

These are the ones I have read since seriously starting reading in German one year ago:
Siddharta and Demian - Herman Hesse (At least read those two before Steppenwolf, it's rather more difficult than those two)
Das Parfum - Patrick Süskind
Die Gebrüder Grimm, usually a compilation of all the stories, easy and very organized german sentences. Very interesting for learning german folk history.
Der Tot in Venedig - Thomas Mann (rather difficult for learners)
Die Leiden des Jungen Werther - Goethe (difficult and overly dramatic, but good for proper german learning, forget about Faust until way later)
Die Schönsten Griechischen Sagen - Translated by Gustav Schwab (if you started with the greeks, which you should have done)
Homo Faber - Max Frisch (easy but not so interesting)
+ some which others mentioned.

Two new ones that are easy to read with intermediate german knowledge:
Luftschiff - Stefan aus dem Siepen
Die Entdeckung der Currywurst - Uwe Timm

Quelle: Auslander in Deutschland seit zwei Jahren, spreche hässliches Deutsch aber verstehe bisschen von Literatur und technische Texten.

>Ausl[ä]nder in Deutschland seit zwei Jahren, spreche hässliches Deutsch[,] aber verstehe [ein] bisschen von Literatur und technische[n] Texten.

Sorry, just taking the piss.

Danke, ich muss meine Grammatik wirklich verbessern. Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache, etc. usw.

German sounds ugly and uncomfortable to pronounce. Do you guys really need all these horrid guttoral sounds in your speech? Join the romance master race in the Sun

There's literally not one guttural sound in German except for the french uvular trill.

>Romance master race
>Spanish contains more guttural sounds than German

Germanic =/= German
We call ourselves Deutsch, which has barely anything to do with Germanic (Germanisch) even though most real Germans (non-migrants) have Germanic roots.

Old germanic and alt-deutsch are very, very similiar languages. Essentially the latter is just one a dialectic of the former.