The Google Memo: Four Scientists Respond

Is it true Veeky Forums are men and women really different?
If so why did google fire James Damore?

archive.is/z6xxP

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watson
assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914586/Googles-Ideological-Echo-Chamber.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is it true Veeky Forums are men and women really different?
of course
>If so why did google fire James Damore?
probably because it would be more profitable in the long term. That being said, it's a free market, they can do whatever they want, but it's hilarious how much his memo is sensationalizing shit, what he says is not nearly as bad or polarizing as people are making it sound.

>muh iq

what a fucking sperg

>what he says is not nearly as bad or polarizing as people are making it sound.

basically this is why you can't be frank anymore. people dissect what you say and sensationalize the parts which will polarize people against you, essentially biasing a large majority of people before they have a chance to form their own opinions.

peer pressure doesn't help either, but really the problem is people would rather have someone think for them

yes, women have breasts and men have penisses. That's a diffirence

Yes, this. There couldn't possibly be any other differences between the sexes. Thinking otherwise would be sexist!

Fuck Google and fuck women people!

They Destroyed James Watson for DARING to ask if all races are the same.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watson

>it would be more profitable
it isn't. Youtube is a gargantuan liability, one can guess it's because of their proglodyte work ethic
>it's a free market
again, it isn't.

We live in strange times when grown adults are arguing, getting fired, and soon i guess going to prison for saying that men and women are different.

me on the right

look at the sex ratios of literally anything from the prison population to chess champions, ignoring evidence that obvious is evidence youre a brain dead leftist

I don't find it anywhere.. only articles telling me what to think about it

care to paste a link?

>mfw your university is still spending millions in outreach to get women in STEM

What a complete waste of money. What's more is that the have data showing that the outreach is completely pointless. It only has a measurable affect a long time ago just after the civil rights movement. And now there is pretty much no measurable result no matter how much outreach there is.

You really cannot get teenage girls to like STEM more than they do.

did you read the memo? he didnt get fired for the claims (which often times make it seem like hes trying to get fired), he got fired for his complete lack of political tact and inflammatory methods in a workplace environment where teamwork and cooperation take the highest priority.

in short he sucks ass at communicating and his empirical claims (women are more prone to anxiety among many others) seem almost completely tangential to the core issues hes trying to raise (google is becoming a maternal ideological echochamber where dissenting opinions are shamed into silence). there are methods of dealing with this, and firing off a 10pg memo to the entire fucking corp is not how you deal with this.

sure the formatting is solid. he raises issues, provides evidence, and attempts to illuminate paths to possible solutions to the issues (i disagree that his evidence is properly related to his contentions with the population and its ideology).

it seems more to me like he cant figure out how to deal with people who disagree with him, and have numbers in the room on him, outside of direct confrontation. in short hes an ignorant engineer and the women are running political circles around him and he just knows something is wrong but goddammit he cant figure out how to beat it so he just lights his career at google on fire to at minimum bring awareness to an issue everyone is aware of but nobody is voicing.

absolutely juvenile.

assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914586/Googles-Ideological-Echo-Chamber.pdf

Was it autism?

They are different but not in any notable way that you have to make big changes or give a single fuck about at all.

did you read it?
the purpose of the memo was to publicize the issues at google because the workplace environment is too closed minded to have a rational and informed discussion on a peer-to-peer level.
yes, it's career suicide, but values are more important than money to some people.

Every woman in my family is a STEM though.
Thing is my families' culture and education was pretty different vs the norm.

This x100000

>b-b-but muh free speech
It's not about free speech

you're right. it's not about free speech. no one said it was. the memo isn't about free speech either.

it's silly and childish

i wish all the other brogrammers at Google showed some balls and put their foot down and refused to show to work for a week out of solidarity

but alas most bay area software engineers are nothing more than pussy whipped numale redditors or pajeets that mindlessly tow and regurgitate the company line for line

I'm not talking about the memo. I'm talking about people who think it was wrongful to fire him.

our two posts are the only ones ITT that mentioned free speech
it's wrong to fire him because it's counter productive, and validates his claims of an oppressive monoculture

Because anyone who does said thing in other places would get fired though

Can't wait for Islam to solve that dispute for the west.

apples and oranges.
it is not fair to compare a highly competent workplace environment -like google was- to "other places."
perhaps if someone did this without any reason and evidence provided, but lashed out in a childish and anti-intellectual way i would understand them getting fired
having seen google's PR response to this incident, it's obvious he was fired for ideological reasons

I've been on plenty of other shitty threads. Free speech, oppression, PC police, all the same shit. The guy knew what he was doing. You don't come out to the whole company with extremely contrasting ideologies from what the company is trying to preach. You talk to HR confidentially. The company has every right to fire him for his dumb outburst.

yes but not genetic rather a source of political programming making men completely blind to the social weapons women wield. you cannot expect to use conventional logical weapons like this memo to win a fundamentally emotional war.

>free speech
completely missing the point, you cant go around being inflammatory just because you feel your views arent being represented. this memo is not hate speech, but what you need to realize is his method and frame is what was wrong here, not the content. if youre a project manager who the fuck do you put with this guy on a team after he fired off a memo like this?

>talking to HR
this is how i know you don't know what you're talking about

Lol. Have you ever had a job?

>If so why did google fire James Damore?
Because what he said was wrong-think and dissent must be silenced. This is a political issue, not a scientific one.

only research positions at universities so far
i assume that's par for the course on Veeky Forums
i'm talking from the experience of my peers. if you want something done or a problem addressed, you skip HR and go to your lowest common superior, or the problem person directly. going to HR is a only a solution if you want someone fired, and that only works if you're a woman

Wrong. It's a business issue.

Why is it that women always blame "culture and education" for their lack of interest in math/physics?

I come from a hick background. My father is illiterate. My mother barely finished HS. I had nobody to push me towards the sciences or anything at all. I was left to my own devices since I was 8 years old. Neither of my parents ever tried to steer me one way or another. They just trusted that i was putting in some work. I am now a Ph.D student in Math. So far removed from the culture that I was nurtured in that I literally cannot explain what I do to my parents because they don't have the necessary context to understand it.

And my situation is not abnormal. What, you think all men in math grow in family households of professors and engineers?

My fascination with figuring out how stuff works was always present within me. It wasn't by some kind of nurturing that I learned to be fascinated with the inner workings of things. It was just a natural curiosity.

The only way in which nurturing could help more women into professions where they are "lacking" is by directing them towards those paths, purposefully, knowing fully well that they probably wouldn't get a fascination for that field otherwise. We know that such nurturing works (see any chess prodigy or any violin player) but is that what you really want to do? Doesn't sound like you care about women rights when you are deciding their future before they are even born.

I do not deny that there are women who possess the same natural inclination towards math/physics that some (because it's not all) men do. I have met some such women. I don't see a reason why it must be the case that such women would exist with equal frequency to their male counterparts.

>Wrong. It's a business issue.

The two are no longer meaningfully distinct in Alphabet Inc.

Get a job first. This is an HR issue. Any workplace malaise goes to HR, period. You go to your boss with issues directly related to your duties. If he thinks it has become truly illegal-tier, there will be a conflict-of-interest department for the municipality or state to enforce.

wasnt this posted in some sort of internal email chain whos purpose was discussing issues exactly like this?

>wasnt this posted in some sort of internal email chain whos purpose was discussing issues exactly like this?

Yes. It got out externally and they fired him for expressing those thoughts, despite attempting to offer them anonymously and privately.

Feminist want high prestige and status positions, use this women on STEM to becomes mananger and had as employs poor minories or developer country minories

>On the issue of obesity, Watson has also been quoted as saying, 2000: "Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them."

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

This is 100% true. If you disagree it is because you have women level rational thought and courage capabilities.

>despite attempting to offer them anonymously and privately.
As far as I can see, it was a discussion forum for Google employees. Not an anonymous suggestion box.

I still haven't understood if he actually spread his memo inside google, or he merely shared with some colleagues and someone leaked to the organization at large.

I wouldn't dismiss the second given all the "outrage" that this memo seemed to have caused.

That's why I said he was "fired for wrong-think."

And that's why we've been saying he went about this all wrong. Should have went to HR for anonymity.

>And that's why we've been saying he went about this all wrong. Should have went to HR for anonymity.

Fair enough.

no. the correct way to go about this is to just fucking ignore it because we all know it's true without having to say it.

the top people in all fields and businesses know this. the fucking colleges wasting money pushing STEM know this. but they need to do it to please the masses.

group-think is a thing, and the smartest people in our society know it. they also know everything he said in the memo already. but that does not matter.

the smartest thing to do with this kind of bullshit is to learn it, know it, then get on with your work and ignore the 99% of idiots who spout off when some idiot does something like write a goddamn memo about it

>If you disagree it is because you have women level rational thought and courage capabilities.
user, are you ok?

Pushing intelligent women into STEM fields where their time, energy, focus will be used to developed meaningless technology instead of encouraging these talented women to create loving families with many intelligent offspring is the right thing to do to level the world wide playing field. The West is too strong, their people too intelligent and industrious and hard working. This is not fair. They should be punished. They should lose their biological advantages and their women should be made angry, resentful and childless. Dissenters should be gaslamped by calling this "Progressivism". In the end, without dissenters or competing cultures, we can achieve a world government run from Israel with no one person or group suffering greater misery than any other.

Not viable when it's pushed not just as a corporate byline, but as a tangible agenda by the CEO.

that's bad business practice.

But if you look at the standing law suit against them, you find that they're refusing to release employment records because they know that internally, they don't practice the equity that they preach. Say one thing, do another. It's like that in business and in politics, and this falls under both domains.

you're right. they hire in accordance to who believes in their endorsed ideology, not according to their espoused beliefs.
or maybe they abused the H1B visa system to replace their competent employees with poorly trained 3rd worlders.
both would explain their innovative stagnation, and the latter would better explain their legal situation.

if they didn't ignore this problem, and instead hired people based on merit and "intellectual diversity" they wouldn't have a lawsuit on their hands.
ignoring the problem is NEVER a solution, it's just a common mispractice

do not practice wrongthink, we are not biological creatures, we are completely arbitrary and self-defining.

There is no such thing as biological determinism. We all can think and become anything we want.

>we are completely arbitrary and self-defining.

Wrong. We are the products of our biology and the environment we are raised in.

>We all can think and become anything we want.

Also wrong. Patterns are hard formed in our brains and they affect how we think, perceive, rationalize, and act in our lives. These patterns are, thus far, immutable.

Rampant hypocrisy and denial of reality doesn't make for a healthy society
And when EVERYONE engages in this insanity despite knowing full well that races/genders are not identical.. well thats how civilizations fall.

Nutty leftists along with thier white hating "minorities"...