The man who kills a man, kills a man

>The man who kills a man, kills a man.

>The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world. His act is worse (symbolically considered) than any rape or dynamite outrage. For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer. When a man hangs himself on a tree, the leaves might fall off in anger and the birds fly away in fury: for each has received a personal affront."..."The man's crime is different from other crimes -- for it makes even crimes impossible.

Holy fucking shit Chesterton. I don't always agree with him, but I don't know if I've ever had a passage hit me this hard.

fuck you faggot i'll kill myself if i want, what are you gonna do? kill me first?
lamoooooooooooooooooo

makes me wanna kill myself desu

any pro-suicide philosophy recs?

This is pretty dumb. Is all this guy's writing like this?

Is that Teddy Roosevelt's retarded twin brother?

Sounds like someone trying to rationalize the irrational view that suicide is immoral.

He comes off like a christian apologist.

What a load of shit.

>christian apologist
you better apologise for my braincell loss here bucko

Conspiracy Against the Human Race

>He comes off like a christian apologist.
You don't say...

is ded

what about pro suicide that doesn't first assume life is not worth living?
pro suicide for suicide's own sake

Interesting read but fundamentally flawed.

I sincerely hate Chesterton as a thinker, with all of my being. I am happy that a purported posting of more of his stupidity seems to have spontaneously elicited a mixture of disgust and genuine disagreement from these multiple anons.

What a useless brain-fart of a passage.

>I sincerely hate Chesterton as a thinker,

Fanged Noumena?

But the man who kills a man also kills all men, but for that man.

Next.

OK, but what if I kill Chesterton instead of myself? Wouldn't that make the world a better place?

the question is
>if you could get off scott free for all of that, would you?

and thus, human nature has put this faggotry to an end.

wtf i love suicide now

>suicidal man is bad because he lacks the balls to see value in things that obviously have value
>implying a suicidal man can't possibly be suicidal because the filth of life blocks his eyes

I just said a load of bullshit and it still was a valid counter point.
I could spout a many points bearly thinking and any one of them could bring that particular quote down.
That's how easy it is to be nihilistic.
But I would rather live in a world were people would rather be idealistic than suicidal.

>Sounds like someone trying to rationalize the irrational view that suicide is immoral.
you owe the human race every day you could still breath

This is some reddit-tier logical fallacy shit going on, is it genuinely from him?

> But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer.
lmao as if those insults aren't justified

really, its a nice enough way to think, but hardly a very solid ethical argument or anything - I doubt its really even supposed to be.
the biggest stupidity is the assumption that no one's situation can really be so bad that there's no worthy flower to steal around

Jean Amery, Hand an sich legen (I don't know if it has been translated to English)
Emil Cioran obviously

Hume, On Suicide.

>I sincerely hate Chesterton as a thinker, with all of my being.

Why? I enjoyed reading Orthodoxy, even though I didn't agree with much of it.

The dude is butthurt because people kill themselves instead of suffering on this hellish planet.
It's rare to discover such petty people.

shit pleb argument desu

Never forget.

I know absolutely nothing about Chesterton, but I liked what OP posted.

>He comes off like a christian apologist.

Surely you could not be this sincerely dumb.

Ippolit's parts in The Idiot, Kirilov's in Demons.

absolutely retarded.

All of Chesterton's arguments are like this, every last one. It's pure sophistry.

For the suicidal, the world dies because it it not worth living, not only because it disappears. When you kill a man, you're not taking away his will to live, which would be killing his world.

Check it out.
>If a man punches a man, he punches a man. But if a man punches himself, he punches all men, for he is punching an idea of a man.

The fact that most of Veeky Forums shits on Chesterton while praising the likes of edgy prepubescent-minded such as Cioran should be enough to disregard any opinion most of Veeky Forums has on any major subject.

Also, OP's quote is not supposed to be a logical argument against suicide, but a literary one, and it does succeed greatly in doing that.

>suicide is bad because the suicidal person doesnt see value where i and others see value

even if he has a little flowery prose to dress it up, his argument is severely undercooked

>not a logical point, a literary one

facts > feels

Try the redpill, faggot. Or fuck off back to /r/books

Yeah, suicide isn't petty at all. It isn't the pettiest, most self-obsessed thing one can do.

>he's not trying to make ACTUAL sense, he's making FAKE sense.
Fucking really?

Chesterton spent a great deal of energy trying to be an eloquent aphorist in order to give the illusion of maturity of thought. Evidently he does fool some people

The division you make between this two categories is obnoxious at best.

Also, there can be much more truth in what you call "feels" (let's say, as in intuition) than in facts, because facts are not always true, or at least they're not transcendentally truth. Go read Husserl, Bergson, something of real relevance, and stop writing through memes only.

Well, to be fair, suicide is often pretty spontaneous.

Everything people are saying in this thread can be applied to anything Nietzsche wrote.

>Also, there can be much more truth in what you call "feels" (let's say, as in intuition) than in facts, because facts are not always true
>go read continental cucks

This is what the brainwashing of liberalism does to a mind?

No thanks, I'll stick with the redpill and truth.

Fucking hell, am I being baited or are you really impossible to have a conversation with?

The state of Veeky Forums these days, goddamnit.

>reasoning with person who uses the word 'redpill' in every post

He's right, you know (evidenced further by the fact that no one ITT has come up with a valid counter argument)

Facts are facts, retard.

No amount of emotion is going to change that. That's what women and liberals won't accept.

see Chesterton's quote makes sense in a mythological manner. There are ways to disrupt the monolitic conventions of Logic (that ultimately only lead to itself), y'know?

Exactly. I guess it's just the Great Flock of Poltards affecting our general debate-level.

>suicide
You destroy the body that belongs to you.
>preventing suicide
You force your will on other people like a tyrant.

>everyone is completely atomized
>people are not linked to others through nets of relationships and institutions that coform as the human community

Are you saying he should commit suicide?

>Implying perceived links are more real than djinn or aliens.

I know you're joking, but anyone who doesn't think family or sense of community matters is underaged and should not be using Veeky Forums.

>Anyone who doesn't share my political beliefs, should be sent to gulags.

>muh community
>muh family

Stop thinking with your feels, sweety, and grow up

>breath
kek

Don't bully him, it's not his fault he's illiterate.

>thinking what I said is even thinly political somehow

Yeah, grow up man, live as a NEET, listen to analyticals, kill your parents.

>comma splice

This way of thinking leads to authoritarianism.

>logical fallacy
Why is a redditor mocking Reddit on reddit2.0?

>it insults all women
so now suicide is misogynistic. fucking libcucks

He has a point though.

If you reject the redemptive power of suffering then you are a immoral feygele who doesn't lift

ITT /r9k/ leaking into Veeky Forums

Wow Veeky Forums is dumb

A delusion protestants share. And what a coincidence, it serves the rich by having the poor slave their lives away without complaining, revolting or removing themselves from the system.

why are people still interested in a sophist that died a hundred years ago, cant think your own thoughts and ideas?

I guess we shouldn't read anything

i guess we should read everything

first good post best post

you're not supposed to feed (You)s to people pretending to be /pol/

I suspect it's only 2 people, one does it incredibly obviously almost out of anger, the other just wants (You)s

That's just a point of view.

I wonder if that is what caused Borges to write that poem on suicide

>Rape (symbolically considered) is the highest compliment of beauty

Prose is okay. Content is so dumb.

I find funny how there's so much disgust to this quote in Veeky Forums.

To be honest, suicide is an egoistic act. And it is an egoistic act born from weakness. The man who does suicide would be a tyrant if he wasn't so weak.

>the from weakness meme

>a site full of shutins who probably consider suicide on the regular get pissy when it is called out for the pussy act that it truly is
A true mistery

>mistery
get the noose ready bucko

>protestants
This was Doestoevsky, an Orthodox, entire theme: the redemptive power of suffering.

Oh, come on.
This is just silly.
I feel like the writer is trying too hard to give a dark and poetic meaning to suicide beyond someone killing himself/herself, but I feel like the writer's attempt failed.
This would only be true if the entire world revolved around one person, and that person committed suicide, but since the world doesn't revolve around one person, this supposed "deep view of suicide" is rubbish.

Suicide is only a "crime" (if we can even label it that) against the loved ones of the person who committed suicide.

What a self-centered and arrogant view of the world.

The only thing here that makes me want to fly away in fury is his writing.

>wanting to be malignantly useless

People are traumatized and made to feel worthless because of negligent, ignorant parents and uncivilized friends.
It takes a lot of pain to take someone to suicide.
Can many of you spell compassion? Have any of you heard of this word?

Same Jewish god, same feudal society.

I'm on my phone; no noose for me today

Borges loved Chesterton, so maybe.

So it's more of a Christian thing than strictly Protestant, is what you're saying.

Suffering is not just important, it is crucial. We need to suffer, that's what life is all about, actually. It's not a matter of compassion, in this case.

To what end?

Judaic religion thing.

your a virgin without a family tho