What are cuts of meat that no one buys so is cheap but you can turn to something delicious?

What are cuts of meat that no one buys so is cheap but you can turn to something delicious?

Chicken wings use to be cheap before it turned into a thing I heard from here. What else is like that but hasent been ruined?

>ox tails are cheap garbage stew meat
>hipsters start blogging about ox tails
>suddenly ox tails cost as much as good beef

If you discover some cheap food hack, never tell anyone, just like you should never have told anyone about adblock.

>it's not fair! I liked it before it was cool!
Fuck hipsters

Pork country ribs

Offal

Pork belly

i mean. chicken's pretty cheap?
10 lb bag of thigh/leg quarters are regularly 37 cents a lb around here.
pork bone-in sirloin chops were 97 cents a lb last week.

This.

It's not about being cool. It's about the price skyrocketing.
I used to get oxtail for free from my butcher and now it costs per pound as a decent cut of pure meat.

what the fug
my chicken is 6 bucks a pound, cheapest, for any standard part.

Chicken feet. Great for stocks or chinese dishes.

Obviously.

Chicken livers.

Hangar steak is occasionally really cheap

ham hocks, make yourself some pea and ham soup.

5 years ago pork ribs were sold literally for dogs here, $5 per kg. Then DUDE BBQ LMAO took off and now racks are individually packaged and push 30kg, making the boneless meat by weight to be $50kg. That's like mignon steak tier.

chicken feets. It's fucking delicious.

where the fuck do you live? Even that organic, no hormone/antibiotic, free range chicken doesn't cost that much.

Not from personal experience, but I hear cow tongue is really good, like it's pure meat, barely fatty. If you can get over the fact that it's the fucking tongue of a cow, it should be good. I can't, though, so I will never buy one, but if someone put it in front of me, I'd try it

I cook tongue fairly often. I mainly cook it mexican style and use it in tacos, but I've also done the French method as well.

It is a very flavorful cut of meat but sadly it's not all that cheap. Perhaps it used to be, but it's no bargain these days.

It's kinda cheap in europe, but I've never had the balls to try it out. Is the texture of the meat itself weird? I'm not really grossed out by meat, or preparing it, but the tongue is kinda offputting for me. I guess I could just cut of a thin slice at the top where the tastebuds are...

>Is the texture of the meat itself weird?

Nope, it's not much different than any other hardworking muscle like you would use for stew or braising.

The only thing about cooking tongue that's a bit weird is how you peel the skin off after cooking.

How is a cow tongue any worse than cow leg or cow rib? They're all parts of the dead body of a cow.
Or is it that you don't know where steak comes from, so you can't visualise said dead body?

>I guess I could just cut of a thin slice at the top where the tastebuds are...
As said, you remove the skin.
How can you prefer leather over muscle?

Not that user, but I live in North Carolina and I recently bought a pound of free-range chicken thighs for a little more than 5 dollars.

Maryland fag here, chicken is usually $1.29-$2.00 a pound here. Our state gives massive subsidies to the poultry industry.

How has no one mentioned heart?

I considered it, but in my area it's more expensive than many other cuts of beef so I don't think of it is a super cheap cut.

Now chicken hearts are very cheap, but beef? Nope.

You can save a surprising amount of dosh per pound by buying whole heart, as opposed to trimmed or sliced. Granted you'll end up trimming a lot more yourself, but still.

Chicken hearts are also good, though. As are gizzards.

Oh, and unrelated, but don't forget turkey necks for another cheap option.

>You can save a surprising amount of dosh per pound by buying whole heart

That's exactly what I was referring to. I've never seen it for sale sliced or trimmed. It's fairly expensive here. I guess it's marketed as some kind of gourmet thing?

What does tongue taste like? I've been told it tastes a bit like liver, is that true?

I don't think it tastes anything like liver. It's a muscle just like a steak or a roast is, not "organ meat".

The cow tongue I have had was just a mildly fatty piece of meat not too dissimilar to corned beef.

Beef:
Flat Iron, shank/shin, hanger, cheek
Pork:
Cheek, neck, chump
Lamb:
Breast, rump, shank

These are the ones I find are considerably less than other cuts, and work fantastically when done right. I recommend getting cheaper cuts from a nicer farm, and learning which are good for different dishes.
(sous vide is fun)
I will post a nice pig cheek recipe in a mo if anyone's interested

>How is a cow tongue any worse than cow leg or cow rib?
are you eating a cow or french kissing it?

Both.
Although, I prefer to kiss passionately before eating out a girl or an animal.

This one's guaranteed to not get popular.

Like any organ meat because most people wil go "ewwwww" and not buy it.

pork belly prices fluctuate a lot since it's use for bacon.

> Lamb neck. Best or scrag end
> Organs
> Skin
> Non-food-grade meat; just boil it down into stock and dehydrate it with salt.
> Bovril.
Skin a fancy cow for leather, remove the brain and spinal cord, throw the rest into a big industrial boiler until it turns into paste, and then dehydrate the paste, salt it and dehydrate it so it keeps, and put it into jars. Serve stirred into hot water so it's basically protein-rich beef tea.
> Industrial-scale anything
> Nearly-expired stuff at the supermarket
> Tongue
> Bones; crack them for the marrow.

>pork belly prices fluctuate a lot since it's use for bacon
No, you use back for bacon. That's why it's called 'back bacon'. Belly pork is belly pork; fatty and delicious.

>No, use use belly for bacon. That's why it's called "streaky bacon". Belly Pork is Belly Pork, the uncured version of what could become streaky bacon. And yes, it's fatty and delicious.

FTFY

Disgusting brit detected.

American bacon uses belly.
that's why it's better.

American here.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other. Rather they're different things.

Streaky bacon / American bacon is great when you want to add fat to a very lean food. For example, barding a roast. Or if you just want to render out some fat to use for cooking the rest of your meal.

Back aka Canadian bacon is great for eating as-is.

This

it looks like we got us a classy fucking gentleman here.

Pic related isn't always cheap but it's always undervalued. It's god-tier cut for grilling.

forgot the fucking pic.

butcher's steak/hangers steak

Fuck you, I remember buying pig cheeks for 1/4 of the price of good pork. now it's the same price.

I gotta admit, I'm jelly. The regular chilen thighs were only a dollar cheaper per poind than the cage-free ones.

We cook comething called "huatía" here, basically just cow head and potatoes burried in the ground. Alternatively, most markets around here sell "cachetito" (beek cheeks) and its dirt cheap.

I agree. I cure both belly and loin for bacon. Sometimes you want the bacon flavor without as much fat. It acts more like a lean ham when sliced thin for sandwiches, deviled or salad spread. Plus for seasoning cabbage, beans, etc., I like loin bacon better. Still like belly bacon for the classic BLT and breakfast with eggs.

no lie i saw tripe the other day packaged with fancy hispanic stickers selling for 4 dollars a pound

it made me sad and angry

I used to buy beef tongues for tacos and other foods. I'd pay like $10-12 for a tongue, which is pretty big and feeds quite a lot of people.

Now it's like fucking $20-25. I never buy it any more because I can get cheaper cuts or if I'm spending this much I'd rather get a leg of lamb.

Fuck back off to your island with your shitty loin bacon

Dumbass

chicken thighs are 59 cents a pound frozen where I live. breasts are like 5.99

thanks white women

I buy a lot of beef roasts and pork roasts. They are generally like 10$ and are great for making everything from stews, chilies, stir fry, or even making your own ground beef. Also chicken thighs will generally be like $2 a pound and whole uncooked chicken for like $5.

I used to buy oxtail at $3 per package, now it's fucking $12-$15. So shut the fuck up, faggot

Cut whatever you want.

Sous vide ftw.

This

I keep thinking those darn hipsters are going to jack up the price of chicken hearts, what with the churrascurias serving them and all. Maybe it will never happen, and that's fine by me

chicken thighs are pretty damn cheap and the best cut of chicken imho.
if you wanna go nigger cheap pork neck bones. they are fuckin dank as hell braise that shit with cajun spices and rice and potatoes and shit

gib recipe pls

I have been eating chicken hearts all my life but only in one dish. My father has always added chicken hearts and gizzards to his chicken soups. I should get some to grill one day.

Buy pork and beef from the butcher whole "in the bag". I get chuck that way. It cuts the price down significanlty. You can get beef tenderloin steaks for $18.00 lb or you can get whole beef tenderloin for $12.00 lb in the bag. There are tons of YouTube videos on trimming your own meat too.

My brother and I used to survive off of brauts and Italian sausages because they were always on sale at ralphs

>chicken thighs are pretty damn cheap and the best cut of chicken imho.
This.
I switch breasts for thighs whenever a recipe calls for it. My family always wonders why the food tastes better than usual when I cook. I always buy the skin on and bone in because it's cheaper. I just debone the chicken and render the fat and save the bone for stock.

Pig rectums and bull dicks. You should eat a bag of them both, OP.

Pig cheeks, cider, potatoes
500g pork cheek
One potato per cheek (Roosters are good)
Lavender, sage (Fresh of course, ideally from your garden)
Two medium carrots
Pork stock
Allspice
Dry single varietal cider of choice
Glass of whisky (I used the 14yo Arran)

For the cheeks
Cook sous vide at 68c in the cider with the herbs for 6-7 hours, or until beginning to fall apart (cooking times vary a little depending on the age and quality of pork)
Remove from the bag, and use the remaining liquid for the potatoes
Dehydrate the sage
Before serving, sear them off in a cast iron pan

For the fondant potatoes
Slice lengthwise two parallel sides from the potatoes, so they have even heights (alternatively cut cubes, which look better, but are more difficult)
Brown both sides fully in your choice of oil (you want them very crispy, almost black)
Cover in pork stock and the liquid from the cheeks, add allspice, cover before cooking off till the inside is fluffy (about 30 minutes, generally when the liquid has cooked off)

For the Carrots
Cook heritage carrots of your choice (from your garden perhaps) in the whisky and a little butter for 20 minutes at 60c in a sous vide, before pureeing in a food processor

Plating
Place the potatoes, three per plate, and sit the cheeks atop them, and the sage crisp atop those
Snail the carrot sauce around the dish, and place the tops of the carrots at the edges

this is a slightly bastardised version of the slightly more complex version I normally run, but is fucking delicious and takes the classic sage/apple/pork combination in a nice direction. Your choice of cider and source of ingredients will make/break this, but as with most dishes based around sous vide, is pretty foolproof
i have a fair fucking few dishes featuring offal and cheap cuts in my book if anyone wants me to type up a few?

This. I used to love making an oxtail stew in my slow cooker then it got trendy and that recipe's out the window.
nice b8

Fucking this. I used to be able to get two lamb hearts for £1 at my supermarket I just sliced it and fried it for breakfast it was never disappointing

ossobuco

this, sometimes as cheap as 1.49/lbs. good eats but takes a long time to cook.

sounds actually pretty good, ill remember this the next time I go shopping

So are there any cheap supermarket cuts that are still good and haven't had their price inflated by trends?

hanger steak. It's not as cheap as, say, liver, but its cheap for steak, and if you cut out that inedible piece of connective tissue in the center, its really good for the price.

what i never got about chicken feet is how do you get any nutrition from them? arent they just skin, claw and bones?

So are you salties buttmad ethnics or hipsters in denial?

>actually eating them
dude what, ive only ever used them in broths for that sweet sweet gelatin

Is there a place that sells chicken skin? Do ppl buy just the skin? Where does all that breast skin go?

The best part of eating chicken is the skin. At KFC that's all I eat. Breaded or battered and fried is yummy. Even Just grilled with some seasoning.

I ate Vitel Tone made with cow tongue and it was quite good.

Meat the CHUCK EYE STEAK. Its the prize that lies between the Ribeye and Chuck. AVG 3.95 US per pound.

......MMMMMMMMM....

Chicken feet taste just like wings, you can get a pound for a dollar, you just gotta clean them first.
Flat iron steak is a brilliant cut of meat that gets sold for nothing because it never has beautiful marbling, and its easy to fuck up and overcook.

he's right you know

Personally I think cow tongue would be weird to eat because the texture of taste buds seems really odd.

Chicken heart is great, I bought some in bulk and fried them up pretty simply with salt, pepper, oil, etc. They made a pretty good snack for the next couple days, totally going to have to get them again.

Definitely interested, cheeks are a new addition to my repertoire that I'd definitely like to expand on.

You don't eat that part. It peels off like a skin. Properly cooked beef tongue tastes and feels a lot like pot roast.

Are those... maggots?

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Maybe I'll grab one next time i see it. What's a good price and how do you like to prepare it?

Maybe they're people who are frustrated that cheap meats they enjoyed became trendy and expensive.

Are butchers the OG hipsters?

Why would a butcher be mad when more people realise how nice a cheap cut can be, increasing demand and so the price?

I cook it French style or google it yourself style.

what wrong with people that know adblock, I remember getting it and the guy would write you a letter of thanks for donating because he invested all his time into it, but now since its really popular he doesn't have to have tier rewards like its a kickstarter

this shits just bound to happen though especially in the age of the internet, like I don't think its just "oh this super famous youtuber is letting everyone know about oxtail!"

tons of young kids starting to live on their own will just google this shit "cheap meats" and figure it out, I don't think its a hip trendy thing people look for the cheap route especially in our economy