You have to pick one city in which to receive a year's stipend on the condition that you finish your novel in that time...

You have to pick one city in which to receive a year's stipend on the condition that you finish your novel in that time. The stipend covers a studio apartment and all necessities.

What city do you pick?

Some comfy town in New England. Montpelier maybe? Or a town in actual England, where I could go and chat with wheezy old folks at a bar and wear wool sweaters.

Kansas City. Great beef and otherwise completely boring. Nothing but flat fields as far as the eye can see. Zero distractions and zero opportunities for fake excuses.

Anywhere in California. Bangkok or Phnom Penh. Florida. Greece or italy

>muh leaves
>muh inbred island proles

Brutal discipline and going for the gusto on your chosen vice. Nice.

>muh palm trees

>I-if I shut myself off to the world, then I'll write something worth reading!

So many morons come here.

Magadan, Magadan oblast, Far Eastern District, Russian Federation. I've always wanted to visit.

Philly, somewhere in Kenzo.

A red dirt West Texas town that has one motel, and the residents live in Hooverville-era wigwams.

>>muh palm trees
Yep, you got it, thats all that matters to me, if palm trees did not exist none of my answers would. (muh redwoods tho)

What would you choose, or you OP and you choose that pic?

>A red dirt West Texas town that has one motel, and the residents live in Hooverville-era wigwams.
You may as well just write a story bout that

it isn't about locking yourself away you moron. it's about getting out of your norm.

Not sure, so here's a shortlist of possibilities, in no particular order, based on places I've actually been:

Naples, Italy
Stockholm
Tallin
Prague
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Baltimore (somewhere within walking distance to Fell's Point)
Boston
If you change the hypothetical from "city" to "place", and "studio apartment" to "living space", anywhere with forests, mountains, and lakes/rivers would do.

I wouldn't need to go far. I'm on the Peak District's doorstep, I'd have a cottage in Lockerbrook or anywhere else near the Ladybower Dam.

Either that or I'd have a beautiful old house (I know the exact house) in my hometown near the woods where I used to play as a child.

born and raised right by kensington, whaf makes you say that?

sadly the areas about to be gentrified to shit

I'd choose the city in which I'm most familiar, where I'm safest in other words.

Tokyo, because I'm a fucking weeb and I won't be able to talk to anyone.

I was just kidding around about the trees. Clearly you like warm weather.

I am the OP and have chosen Boston. It's comfy and there are a lot of college chicks and smart people.

Baltimore's pretty rough dude. You can be in a high-crime block within like two blocks of the waterfront.

I suppose it could be any place, but the stipulation stands that your living space won't be any larger or more luxurious than a studio apartment, even if it's a standalone house so that people don't factor in cost of living.

>Baltimore's pretty rough dude. You can be in a high-crime block within like two blocks of the waterfront.

As I mentioned in my post, I've been to all the places I listed, so I know what I'd be in for. Pretty much all of the high-crime areas are west of downtown. The area around the inner harbor and fells point are nice as hell. Even the downtown area and just north of it were nice.

can I go back in time before globalism and multiculturalism ruined nearly every major city in the west?

Either London or Paris. Some place Islamic definitely

>Clearly you like warm weather.
Maybe its a bit of the 20 degree foot of snow I just got this weekend speaking. Nah, of course I do love warm weather, and miss the sun, like the beach and sceneries, I could always be down for a snow surrounded cabin, blankets and fireplace.

Firenze, Italia

Madrid, Spain.

All the best literature nowadays is being produced by Spanish-speaking authors anyway.

Please name some, senpai.

Auckland, definitely my number one choice, and I base this off many QOL rankings and various personal reasons (like being an English-speaking country). Just look up the "quality of life" article on Wikipedia to find a bunch of indexes.

Montevidio, Uruguay, so during downtime I can play Canasta with old men next to the beach.

Kabul

Buenos Aires. I'll write in the Biblioteca Nacional just like Borges.

user doesn't want that center city, west philly, south philly, new york, hollywood... user doesn't want to live in a decent neighborhood.

somewhere European where i dont speak the language

Austria?

Center City get at me baby

It does not matter. Any respectable city has okay internet and delivered groceries these days and I don't go outside.

Perth, Western Australia

Sarajevo
Ljubljana
San Sebastian
Frieburg
Helsinki
Tbilisi
Kyoto
Valparaiso
Oaxaca (if the civil unrest dies down)

Maybe somewhere isolated in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland
or a cabin in Tasmania

Madrid

Mont-saint michel or rocamadour.

My hometown so I can write my auto biographical magical realism magnum opus.

Berlin

My dad lives there.

Moscow. the dirty part.

wherever the fuck this is

You found Alaska

>Kansas City
I'm going here for work next month, what's good? I like bookstores, live music, and booze.

patrician

Fuck, man, I was just about to suggest Naples and Boston. Good choices.

NYC because I already live here and have already written books in that time without a stipend or place of my own before. I'd just pocket the money, really.

Salzburg

what is it about mountains that just make everything better?
If those mountains werent there, that place would still be absolutely 11/10 cool, but the mountains make it like 22/10

Grense Jakobselv, Finnmark, Norway
Agios Eustratios, prefecture of Northern Aegean islands, Greece
Sulina, Tulcea county, Romania
And this which I posted earlier.

There are lots of others which I forget right now. Sometimes I dream about these places.

You're a fucking corncobber.

Austria is a good choice and not speaking a language really doesn't prove much of a hassle even in a post Soviet shithole where no one speaks English( not talking about Austria of course)

>prague
>Dc
>berlin
>lima
>montevideo
>portland, maine
>osaka
>st. petersburg
>san sebastian

have your pick ,faggot

looks like lofoten

Jerusalem or Istanbul.
Shit taste my friend.
Even worse taste my friend.

Sao Felix, Brazil

Cowards.

was I lying tho

as someone who has taken a couple of months to just kind of veg out and write in another country, it can do absolute wonders.

Krakow or Hamburg probably

>Wanting to write a book while surrounded by angry Arab or worse, angry Jewish, wives yelling at their husbands in the apartments all around you while the wall stinks of some dead animal from the time of fucking Babylon

A 98% white, upper-class suburb inhabited by dentists, doctors, and other normie families. Preferably somewhere in the midwest. I want the most banal fucking experience possible.

Hamburg sucks desu.

I like it desu

Turin, Italy

Dover, it's perhaps one of my favorite cities.

Budapest.

bergen

if this then koenigsburg or paris

He was just kidding, there is no great literature.

Does it have to be a city?

I'd rather go somewhere with less vermin.
Say, Alice Springs, Australia.

Looks like Lothlórien

I hate Detroit, but that picture really makes it look appealing to me for some reason.

I realized I actually meant Florence, not Naples, because of your post. Good taste.

I did mean to list Florence, but Naples is a good choice, too. I was admittedly disappointed with Boston at first, but I think that was because I was limited to a small portion of the city for most of my short stay there. The moment I started to change my mind happened while walking from where I'd had lunch (a small Vietnamese restaurant) to a bookstore (Commonwealth Books). I was surrounded by buildings typical of the downtown area of a major city when I noticed a large crowd of people in a small space between large buildings and figured I'd check it out. Turned out to be a cemetery where Paul Revere and others central to the American Revolution were buried.

>shits on New England and Alaska
>Jerusalem or Istanbul
You're a funny guy, m80, I'll give you that. The latter two are literally shit but you're welcome to go live there, assuming you're not already a roach shilling his den.

Some smaller city in Alaska. Beautiful nature, freedom and jack all to do.

I want to move there after I finish college.

Bordeaux, Budapest, Bergen, or Stockholm.

helsinki

wow. What a place.

>Australia
>less vermin

>Alice Springs, Australia.

What makes this particular rural trailer park such a destination?

Why Krakow? I spent a few days there once and it was an interesting place to visit but I don't remember there being much of an appeal to actually live there.

New Orleans.