Tfw there are il/lit/erates here who don't listen to classical music in their free time

>tfw there are il/lit/erates here who don't listen to classical music in their free time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM
youtube.com/watch?v=LphuCadyQi0
youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5aPaDwAkU
youtube.com/watch?v=gd0dMs0MTg8
youtube.com/watch?v=VQDwhAK95ds
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2VffKMuFKo
youtube.com/watch?v=DXy50exHjes
youtube.com/watch?v=0HnG1WjryX4
youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I
youtube.com/watch?v=t-N5R2plqPs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mneis1nYs
youtube.com/watch?v=c0gDqDXpUW0
youtube.com/watch?v=SVmBRr_Psng
youtube.com/watch?v=cLohzpC7H_4
youtube.com/watch?v=Hfray53-TPY
youtube.com/watch?v=NKvzRhVXu3U
youtube.com/watch?v=208g0WW_8zA
youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-SrUZUluU
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DJpaxT7wg
youtube.com/watch?v=3sj-NKqR0tw
youtube.com/watch?v=zqNTltOGh5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

haha a feel-man

>not reaching transcendence via jazz

p l e b

Why does that give you feels?

>jazz

Who rides, so late, through night and wind?
It is the father with his child.
He has the boy well in his arm
He holds him safely, he keeps him warm.
"My son, why do you hide your face so anxiously?"
"Father, do you not see the Elfking?
The Elfking with crown and tail?"
"My son, it's a wisp of fog."
"You dear child, come, go with me!
Very lovely games I'll play with you;
Some colourful flowers are on the beach,
My mother has some golden robes."
"My father, my father, and don't you hear
What the Elfking quietly promises me?"
"Be calm, stay calm, my child;
The wind is rustling through withered leaves."
"Do you want to come with me, pretty boy?
My daughters shall wait on you finely;
My daughters will lead the nightly dance,
And rock and dance and sing you to sleep."
"My father, my father, and don't you see there
The Elfking's daughters in the gloomy place?"
"My son, my son, I see it clearly:
There shimmer the old willows so grey."
"I love you, your beautiful form entices me;
And if you're not willing, then I will use force."
"My father, my father, he's grabbing me now!
The Elfking has done me harm!"
It horrifies the father; he swiftly rides on,
He holds the moaning child in his arms,
Reaches the farm with trouble and hardship;
In his arms, the child was dead.
Who rides there so late through the night dark and drear?
The father it is, with his infant so dear;
He holdeth the boy tightly clasp'd in his arm,
He holdeth him safely, he keepeth him warm.
"My son, wherefore seek'st thou thy face thus to hide?"
"Look, father, the Alder King is close by our side!
Dost see not the Alder King, with crown and with train?"
"My son, 'tis the mist rising over the plain."
"Oh, come, thou dear infant! oh come thou with me!
For many a game I will play there with thee;
On my beach, lovely flowers their blossoms unfold,
My mother shall grace thee with garments of gold."
"My father, my father, and dost thou not hear
The words that the Alder King now breathes in mine ear?"
"Be calm, dearest child, thy fancy deceives;
the wind is sighing through withering leaves."
"Wilt go, then, dear infant, wilt go with me there?
My daughters shall tend thee with sisterly care
My daughters by night on the dance floor you lead,
They'll cradle and rock thee, and sing thee to sleep."
"My father, my father, and dost thou not see,
How the Alder King is showing his daughters to me?"
"My darling, my darling, I see it aright,
'Tis the aged grey willows deceiving thy sight."
"I love thee, I'm charm'd by thy beauty, dear boy!
And if thou aren't willing, then force I'll employ."
"My father, my father, he seizes me fast,
For sorely the Alder King has hurt me at last."
The father now gallops, with terror half wild,
He holds in his arms the shuddering child;
He reaches his farmstead with toil and dread, –
The child in his arms lies motionless, dead.

>categorically rejecting entire genres of music with rich histories and great potential for expression

>he doesnt like idm
>he doesnt like noise
>he doesnt like pop
How does it feel to be such a close minded pleb?
>stringy strangy strung my wancky

only an american could think of the best classical has to offer and put that atrocious list together

MPP captures the feel of being happy better than any of the music in the low part tbqfwyl

I just listen to Kate Bush

youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

>Jazz

Adorno is the Bloom of music

Good post
Bad post.

>there are "people" ITT who can't appreciate this

youtube.com/watch?v=LphuCadyQi0

How does it feel to have just graduated high school?

youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5aPaDwAkU bjork lads

The only jazz I like is ornette coleman desu, everything else is for fedoras who want to feel like they live in the 20's
YOU WILL NEVER HANG OUT WITH JOYCE, FAGGOT, GET OVER IT

you tell me :^)

I have little respect for writers who, in the age of endless recordings, still stick to pop music.

This is also why one shouldn't pay attention to the Swedish Academy from now on.

Just goes to show that Bloom is an not all that good...

Jazz is either too easy or too boring.

90% of kids listen to jazz music, like and comment if you are part of the ten percent who still listens to the works of Second Vienese School
youtube.com/watch?v=gd0dMs0MTg8

>I don't know anything about the genre but let me namedrop real quick
OK!

The point is that Jazz is not worth listening to if you haven't heard yet the best that classical music has to offer. It's question of priorities, especially considering that most people on /mu/ never studied composers as famous as Beethoven.
Jazz is filled with masterpieces, but if you haven't even listened to Bach it will be ultimately a waste of time. Classical first, jazz and avant-gards second, popular music third.

The point is that Jazz is not worth listening to if you haven't heard yet the best that classical music has to offer. It's question of priorities, especially considering that most people on /mu/ never studied composers as famous as Beethoven.
Jazz is filled with masterpieces, but if you haven't even listened to Bach it will be ultimately a waste of time. Classical first, jazz and avant-gards second, popular music third.

>starting with the greeks and proceeding the best Western literature and poetry that has been written in the last 2000 years?
>nah I'll start with DFW, I mean, he's kinda interesting right? What are you, a fedora?

youtube.com/watch?v=VQDwhAK95ds

fucking virgin lol

hey nigger I played the piano, euphonium and trombone. I unironically think bach is the best classical composer and get hard everytime I hear the contropuncti from the heart of the fugue and I listen to jazz and classical reguarly and have studied music theory

This thread is giving me cancer from the shit opinions on jazz and classical including your post.

You forgot your meme arrows

>you have to understand the genre in order to enjoy it
ok

that's a really stupid quote, exposure to bad food doesn't hamper one's ability to distinguish between good and bad food, or one's ability to cook well

you can read tons of trash and still be as acute a reader and a writer as you would be otherwise, so long as you know that it's trash and what makes it so

>Jazz is filled with masterpieces
How new are you to Jazz?

>>you have to understand the genre in order to enjoy it

Yes...?

>that's a really stupid quote

>played the piano, euphonium and trombone. I unironically think bach is the best classical composer and get hard everytime I hear the contropuncti from the heart of the fugue and I listen to jazz

Have you read what I've written? I've not said that jazz is not worht listening to, I'm saying that it is wiser to listen, study and appreciate classical music first.
I would say the same thing in almost any art form, in another post for example I've stated that it's better to start reading classic in our literature tradition than to start with counterculture products such as Infinite Jest. That doens't meant that Infinite Jest is worthless (you could argue so, though), that just mean that given how much time you've got on this Earth it's better to experience our classics first (wich will give you even more insight when you'll start reading modern literature).

I'm not an essentialist.

Popular music is a product of radically different media than classical music. To ignore it or 'leave it for later' is to blind oneself to much of your environment. Julio Cortazar had a memorable line on Jazz being like a tentacled living organism expanding to every corner of the world and undergoing various branchings and mutations. You can say the same for later forms of popular music. Rock'n'Roll psychedelics and color TV brought western civilisation to the brink of collapse back in the 60s. The orientalizing neo tribal world we have inherited is not so much the world of the symphony orchestra, the world were Burghers dress up for the Opera, but the world of electric distortion, total environments, post african repetition. The rapper is at once tribal storyteller, and warrior-priest of the commodity.

Hm, you might actually be right.

jazz is like classical but modified. So there's probably merit in studying classical before getting into jazz. You've got to eat yourmeat veggies before you can really appreciate that pop rocks are.

My bad lad.

>valuing society over high art
>don't listen to Beethoven, listen to this guy instead, he influenced lots of people in the '60s!

desu people who shit on popular music are just too lazy to find the good stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2VffKMuFKo

Why not both?

this is unironically bretty good, and proof that 12 tone music can be beautiful too

Learn to read before posting, user.

>To ignore it or 'leave it for later' is to blind oneself to much of your environment.
Or it's to liberate yourself from it.

what a puss

Holy shit please tell me that bottom half is some sort of sick joke.
>Gorecki
I am being trolled hard

Do you guys actually enjoy classical music? This is a good piece but this is exactly what a true edge lord looking for eccentric, esoteric classical look for. There are plenty of classical pieces that one could point out that isn't as hard to access than this to prove your point. I feel like you're just trying to get into a fart-sniffing contest to prove how well-versed you are. This thread has proven that this board is not at the level to appreciate that kind of composition so why not post something more accessible?

Such as youtube.com/watch?v=DXy50exHjes

Like someone said earlier, it's like posting infinite jest, I think this board isn't much further than Moby dick if we're using literature analogies fore classical music.

I know Mozart is meme tier, but this is honestly one of my favorite songs ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=0HnG1WjryX4

The worst part about enjoying classical music is the fact that people who find out about my love for it will likely group me in with people like

Jazz is trash, there are no masterworks in jazz because it's barely music.

post favorite piece
(don't get to fancy posting longest symphonies doesn't mean best)

youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I

>appreciate
There's nothing to appreciate

>This thread has proven that this board is not at the level to appreciate that kind of composition
When will this meme end? You dont need to understand anything about music theory to appreciate music, in any of it's shapes
>implying infinite jest is harder than moby dick
shaking my head

Tip
Tip to you too, m'sir.

Um yes you fucking do?

So before you listened to Bach, how much Nicolai did you listen to? Or Kerll? Listening to Bach without knowing them would be ultimately a waste of time.

>Reads translated poem

Seriously though, Erlkönig is incredible. Learned it in 5th grade and still know it by heart.

>You dont need to understand anything about music theory to appreciate music, in any of it's shapes
Yes you do, appreciation is more than 'wow this is influential and pretty but i prefer beyonce lol'

This is jazz now, if anyone has anything else in mind, he's watching too much movies.
youtube.com/watch?v=t-N5R2plqPs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mneis1nYs

Jazz is live music. It's evolving music, old jazz is past, new jazz is different, and it's changing each year. One thing about it is that you can't just listen to it, you need to watch it, you need to be present when it's performed. Recordings, all of them, loose the spirit. It can be amazing experience, then again, it's not Classical. There's a joke among hardcore jazz fans; they all can take only enough of it, then they all turn to Classical in the end, so people fuck with each other on when they'll do the transition. The rest, not worth loosing words about, it's noise compared to the two.

>because it's barely music.
lmao, music is just sounds, noise arranged in different ways, you fucking faggot, and I say this as a music lover and not really a jazz fan, but thinking x isnt music just because you dont like is so fucking pathetic, kill yourself

>classical
>jazz
>not new tango
youtube.com/watch?v=c0gDqDXpUW0

>You dont need to understand anything about music theory to appreciate music
Hi dumb dumb. Hard make post dumb dumb? Dumb dumb, take afternoon and read a little about music dumb dumb and you learn about music dumb dumb. Then you appreciate music more dumb dumb!

Does that make sense to you or should I break it down further

>Jazz is either too easy or too boring.
That makes no sense. How can you possible consider Be Bop boring. Even if you don't like it, it is not boring.

Fart sniffer detected. Kill yourself my man!

No it's not, you uneducated hack.
Jazz is noise.

>this is jazz now
>posts video from 23 years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=SVmBRr_Psng

this was really horrible

Sorry I actually listen to classical music and know some things about it. But keep on thinking that music was birthed by Bach you teenager.

I dont know music theory, but I'm listening to that Alban Berg right now and I'm enjoying it
What is it then?
>oh hell yeah sick chord progression dawhg

I'd kill myself if I thought like you, wew.
>Jazz is noise.
But this is worse. I'd be dead and not be able to post if I was you. Seriously my friend, you're wrong .

Again proving my point. Has anyone ITT played an instrument? It's like you all read an article from the most obnoxious music critic and can't form your own opinions...

>No it's not, you uneducated hack.
What is it then?

t. pobbit
Yes, I play an instrument. Jazz is noise. Go back to mehmet with your noise.

>Again proving my point. Has anyone ITT played an instrument? It's like you all read an article from the most obnoxious music critic and can't form your own opinions...
I'm the guy being called "uneducated hack" and "dumb dumb" and I play guitar and piano

Dude just take an afternoon to study basic theory and you wouldn't have to post these butthurt responses.

*tip* I'm not even saying that. And I'm not even saying you're totally wrong. You're just being a cunt and seem to have a thing out for one of the most important classical musicians because it give you hipster cred in whatever circles you roll in. Congrats!

>Yes, I play an instrument. Jazz is noise. Go back to mehmet with your noise.
*tip* full stop.

Yes, keep tipping your fedora.

found a vid of you in school mate ;)

youtube.com/watch?v=cLohzpC7H_4

>t. pobbit
Nice rebutal, go daydream about how great the world would had been if hitler had burned all le degenerawte art

>play guitar and piano
Hi dumb dumb!

You play instrument that every 5th grader play minus the recorder!! You dumb dumb!!!!!

Yeah, all that shit I know about Bach comes from hating him. That's why I read all those analyses of his music and send unanswered fan mail to John Gardiner. Cuz I have it out for him to impress my friends and a guy with the most surface level of surface level understandings of musical history.

>that every 5th grader play

Dude, I really don't know how to respond to your posts other than admitting that you're a huge autist. I'm gonna listen to some Nicolai and Kerll now if that makes you happy and will report back.

Yeah I learned to play in 5th grade while you were playing pokemon cards or whatever

Damn you got me good :((

>hating bach
ultimate sign of a pleb

Whoa I'm listening to

youtube.com/watch?v=Hfray53-TPY

right now. I can totally hear how this has influenced bach. But I can't find "Nicoli" what's his full name? Not even memeing, I appreciate learning about new composers.

youtube.com/watch?v=NKvzRhVXu3U

Man, if you see at least three people calling you total retard, then look into a morror and realise that you are one. Jazz is interconnected since it's birth with classical music. In baroque you had hordes of soloists that played improvised music. It gave birth to polyphony and polyrhythm, and recorded music. Jazz is just that, classical taken back to it's roots.

Anyways, back to posting quality pieces:
youtube.com/watch?v=208g0WW_8zA

So uh church hyms? OK I guess.

this is the worst active thread on Veeky Forums, good work!

This is the worst post on Veeky Forums, good work!

This is the worst reply on Veeky Forums, good work!

Never heard this piece before but I can see where the pirates of the Caribbean people ripped their theme from.

FUCK. I was happy about my achievement but it was overtaken by

Good work!

While were at Bachs predecessors, one can't go wrong with Biber. Another brilliant, and slightly forgotten author.

Rosenkranz Sonaten;

Batallia;
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DJpaxT7wg

>jazz
lmao at these plebs constantly trying to put their unstructured vomit on the same level as classical

it was funny at first but it's gettin too autistic now

Compare to this
youtube.com/watch?v=3sj-NKqR0tw

>too autistic
This isn't even my final form.

Yeah, they've been ripping from Respighi for ages. It's in part because he ripped from older authors, so it's hard to say it's pure ripoff, but pretty much whole of Ancient airs and Dances is in the movies now.

Now this hits the spot.

So what you be sayin iz that Bach is better than the guy before him who literally wrote the boring tunes before church starts?

Good posts I learned a lot!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=zqNTltOGh5c

coltrane has great solo in this (miles too), and the piano player too, forget his name, maybe tyner

Glad to help someone understand an artist they appreciate by appreciating their forbears :)
If you don't understand choral music you'll never understand Bach :)

o salutaris hostia