I'm a physics student and looking to switch to Linux but don't know what distribution to use

I'm a physics student and looking to switch to Linux but don't know what distribution to use.
The purpose is to:
-Write reports with LateX in TexMaker
-code small programs in Python
-Plot Data with gnuplot
-evaluate and analyze data, yet to settle on a program here

Looking at wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux I guess either Mint or Ubuntu will do the job for me but I really don't know which one is better for my needs.
In uni I worked with openSUSE a few times, didn't like that one so much.

Other urls found in this thread:

labs.fedoraproject.org/en/scientific/
youtube.com/channel/UC2eYFnH61tmytImy1mTYvhA/videos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tried, none bothered to respond but instead argue wheter to call it Linux or GNU/Linux.

lol that's just copypasta. just go with ubuntu or mint, you'll be fine. i recommend ubuntu but change the desktop environment to something that isn't unity, like cinnamon or xfce

Install Gentoo

If you want a simple yet serious-looking distro, Debian will do.

[eqn] \textrm{Ginstall Intoo} [/eqn]

If you're a linux noob, I can recommend Debian. It's quite user friendly, not as bloated as Ubuntu and you can do everything you listed.

Debian looks fine, I will go with that.
Thanks.

Ubuntu. Everything else is a meme.

Most people go for Ubuntu as first distro, but it can sometimes be buggy. Debian is known as one of if not the most stable distro, on which Ubuntu is based on btw.

All you have to care about is the repo.

Debian (and derivatives), Fedora (and derivatives) and Arch Linux (and derivatives) all have very good repositories.

It's really up to you. Makes no difference.

install Gentoo

just stay on windows
code in matlab or mathematica
use texmaker for latex
ur life will be much easier than if you listen to fucking stupid leftist uni scum
trust me, you don't need high performance to complete ur algorithm homework, if it takes 30 secs in C++ its gonna need what, maybe 1 min on windows
cheers

also, anything other than windows is for cucks and vegans

Linux is widely used in science, it's better for him to learn it some aspects of it.

Fedora scientific is for you : labs.fedoraproject.org/en/scientific/

A good desktop (similar to windows with a "start menu") and all the software you need preinstalled for your work. You can uninstall them and download other software btw (even non scientific sofwares).

Since im not a retard,this guy will help you out.
>youtube.com/channel/UC2eYFnH61tmytImy1mTYvhA/videos

Literally the worst possible OS one can choose for science, even solaris would be a better choice

Debian is the best for a general purpose nonbeginner distro. Just make sure you understand package management

this

i like arch because it starts bare bones compared to other distros and doesn't require much attention after you set it up.

probably just start with fedora or debian

also isnt there a scientific linux with many of the packages you might want preinstalled?

Run your Linux distros in VMs. you can then try out and use as many as you want simulateously without issues. VMs only get funky when you want direct hardware support, eg deep learning, pretty graphics, encoding, etc

>I'm a physics student and looking to switch to Linux but don't know what distribution to use.

Damn, I didn't know physics was an operating system. How do I install physics?

>having this little self awareness

Yeah, when working with data sets larger than 100x the size of the average laptop HDD (e.g. in computational fluid dynamics) this is not practical

Get Suicide Linux. Don't be a pussy

Gentoo if you want to understand and customize the system completely, arch if you want to customize but not completely and not understand very well, debian otherwise but repo packages are O with an uppercase 'O'

hey OP !

why dont you give the mint distro a try? its pretty user friendly and has plenty of cool stuff! good luck on your major!

google ''distrowatch'' and search for mint installation from there!

debian is a great operating system, but it will be a bit of a learning curve.

Use OpenBSD.

Fedora

>memes everywhere
flagged

HAHAHAHAHA MACOS MASTER RACE WINS AGAIN, NO BUGS, PERFECT AESTHETIC, UNIX BASED SHELL HAHAHAHAH
BOW DOWN YOU FUCKERS

Just use Windows you will end up wasting more time trying to figure out what DE/WM you like and what Distro you should use and how to configure your VIM etc.

Just use Windows, I went through all that and I still like Linux, but I don't think about all that shit when I'm on Windows. I'm just getting my work done.

You could try OSX instead.

Ubuntu for noobs.

Install Gentoo

If you just want to get started and learn with linux: Ubuntu

Or, if you want to use linux for your work: scientific linux

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux

Gentoo

Xubuntu

Gentoo and Arch take too much time to setup right / maintain.

Debian is a nice middle point

I do use Arch btw

Windows 10