Ok, some user posted this and I know I'm a little tried but I'm missing something. Any help countering this argument?

Ok, some user posted this and I know I'm a little tried but I'm missing something. Any help countering this argument?

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jour_sid%C3%A9ral&edit-text=&act=url
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time#Sidereal_time_and_solar_time
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1011498
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any help? I still got nothing...

>day is 24 hours.
wrong.

No shit, a day is 24hours long...if you dont know just say "I don't know but I'm interested in the explaination myself"

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jour_sid%C3%A9ral&edit-text=&act=url

A day is not just the rotation of the earth though. It's the combination of rotation and revolution around the sun.
>Earth rotates once in about 24 hours with respect to the sun and once every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds with respect to the stars

thanks.

Sidereal day

Uh, no. This picture is literally retarded. Take a college astronomy class or something.

Pic related..

you fucking idiots we see the clocks change every year.

>Do you see a problem here?
Only the decline and fall of my civilization

kek this
/thread

Then explain the motion of the stars and planets as well.

Suddenly that shit gets more complicated, doesn't it? Music of the Spheres shit.

The earth's orbit has little to do with day/night cycles. Earth's tilt and rotation is what matters.

user what is going on with the world

Why is this happening? Has it always been this way and everything will end up alright because the competent people will take the reins, or is our fate really in the hands of a bunch of morons right now?

Psyops upon psyops to distract the masses from the true happenings.

Surprised more people didn't immediately see this.

It's as if observing the state changes it somehow. Fascinating.

internet memes

not even kidding. Us oldfags can have a good chuckle over these jokes, even as it gets more abstract as we add more and more layers of sarcasm/satire.

But for millenials growing up with the internet, they are thrust into this culture without fully understanding the jokes. Half the time the sarcasm goes over their heads and they take things too seriously.

The are also influenced by shitty movies, cartoons, and sensationalist media.

It rotaties on its AXIS every 24 hours, it takes 12 months for the earth to revolve around the sun. Stupidest picture ever.

A day is not a year you cuck.

As others have mentioned sidereal day shows this is bullshit. But at a more basic level, our time keeping standards are all derived from how long a day takes. Thats why a day is 24 hours. We observed the time it takes for the sun to be in the same position in the sky then divided that into smaller chunks of time. The position of the sun in the sky defines our time. Or you could look at it this way. Noon is defined by the sun being directly above you, if the sun is not directly overhead (some discrepancies here) it is, by definition, not noon.

Frame of reference.

The Earth takes 24 hours (one solar day) to rotate such that the Sun appears on the same meridian, *averaged over the course of a year.* This 24 hours varies over the course of the year due to the varying speed of the Earth through its peri- and aphelia. Imagine in this diagram
when the Earth travels different distances over the course of the solar day, it has to rotate a bit more when moving faster. Look up "equation of time" or "analema" for details.

However, the same star will transit every 23h56m4s (sidereal day), regardless of its variation of orbital speed.

My god, is this picture retarded! A day is DEFINED by the time it takes for the sun to get to the same spot it was before, so if after 6 months the sun is in the exact opposite part of the world, then your definition of day is obviously wrong.

Sage for stupid threads need to die.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time#Sidereal_time_and_solar_time

>the picture isn't even Descartes

quote is from Christmas Eve, 2009

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1011498