I just made this pizza and it's the best homemade pizza I've had in my life...

I just made this pizza and it's the best homemade pizza I've had in my life. It's about 90% as good as proper neapolitans I've had in the city. And made 100% on the stove without as much as turning on the oven.

AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/03/the-pizza-lab-awesome-pizza-without-an-oven-aka-skillet-pizza.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah sure. How'd you brown the top of the dough with only a stove?

Eating an entire tomato in one bite could not be pleasant

Should have sliced them and arranged them in a uniform and even fashion , and whats with the whole bread bowl thing? Why not have an even level of cheese covering the entire thing instead of having a huge glump of it pooling in the middle

Dough on a searing hot cast iron pan long enough for the bottom to crisp up but not brown. Flip. Wait for the top to crisp. Hang it out the side of the pan directly on to the flame. Flip it back and lower the flame. Pun on the sauce and cheese and cover the pan. Whole thing takes like 5 minutes.
Those are cherry tomatoes and the pizza was hilariously small, the plate is normal sized. It was made from leftover dough which is why I wanted to experiment.

what is this, food for ants?

The technique is from serious eats and I was honestly skeptical about it which is why I used whatever leftover dough I had (which had been cold fermenting in the fridge for 48 hours). It's the lightest, tastiest and fastest pizza I've made.

I'll make a larger one next time and might get some fresh mozz too.

Here's the link if anyone wants to try. My dough was made from 00 flour and fermented in the fridge though.

slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/03/the-pizza-lab-awesome-pizza-without-an-oven-aka-skillet-pizza.html

How fat are you again?

Honestly, it was a little small (6-7") but with a side salad and a drink it'd be filling meal.

Also, the bottom crisped up wonderfully and had amazing marbling. Don't have a picture though.

next time buy some fresh basil, gordon

Heh, I'd plucked my plant almost clean over the weekend but point taken.

Use better cheese

guess no one was impressed :(

I'm impressed. I assume you cooked it on one side, then flipped it and topped it? Did you cover it after flipping it? Do you know the hydration level of the dough? did you let the dough rest overnight or did you just mix it up and cook? I love baking and support anyone posting baking OC on the chans.

I use a similar technique but do sort of a thin crust out on the grill.

You know... for most people, the freshest bread they will ever eat is pizza. That's why people love pizza. What they really love is fresh bread, they just aren't exposed to it the same way.

>My dough was made from 00 flour

Where did you get 00 flour?

Fermented in the fridge for 2 days. Kneaded again and final rise on the counter for two hours. Not very high hydration, I'd imagine 60% or thereabouts. Fine flour apparently needs lesser water. Usually you want high hydration for good oven baking because of the low temps vs commercial ovens but since this was on the stove (flip, burn, flip, cover) so the bread stayed moist.
Shoprite? Is it supposed to be hard to find? Amazon has it too.

>Shoprite? Is it supposed to be hard to find? Amazon has it too.

I haven't really looked very hard for it because I get decent results with bread flour. My pantry already has spelt, rye, whole wheat, semolina, AP, cake, bread, and corn flour.... I feel like if I bought 00 my wife would just finally lose it. But if I saw some for a fair price I'd probably still pick some up.

Was it called 00 flour or fine flour or what? Did it have a brand name?

>amazon
I was going to rant about paying 10 bucks for some flour off amazon, but i see that you can get a 2 lb bag for $9 with prime... That's not nearly as bad as I thought but I'm still not all that interested.

I will have to see if Trader Joes or a whole foods around me has some... I'd expect them to have it, but have never noticed it and I probably would have. As you can probably tell, I tend to be drawn to the flour/baking aisle and the bulk bins.

It's Anna Napoletana Extra Fine 00. Got it for $2.xx for 2.2 lbs. Amazon is really overcharging for it.

I don't think you need it, if you just need AP + bread flour for a bit longer you'll get similar results but I just like the color unbleached flour gives. If you see a pack in a grocery store for a fair price get it, if not don't bother.

>if you just need AP
*knead

Looks good, gotta try it

pizzafag here
use a mix of normal bread flour and semolina flour
that 00 caputo shit is overpriced as fuck

>use a mix of normal bread flour and semolina flour

if anyone tries this, let the dough rest for atleast 24 hours, and preferably 48. semolina likes to rest.

What does semolina add?