ITT: Post photos of books you want to read and post recommendations for what other people should read

ITT: Post photos of books you want to read and post recommendations for what other people should read.

After Dark is crap, and that's coming from a huge Murakami fan

On Food and Cooking is great.

Get to work on Suttree and The Crying of Lot 49.

After Dark is one of my favorites.
t. Murakami fan

Most people don't own all the books they want to read so how would they post a photo of them? Lists make more sense. Here's mine.

>Beowulf
>Silmarillion
>Wild Sheep Chase
>Norwegian Wood
>Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki
>The Wealth of Nations
>All the Discworld Novels (except for Equal Rites, first 2 Tiffany Aching books and Wyrd Sisters)
>The Foundation series
>Illiad and Odyssey
>Good Omens
>Brothers Karamazov
>The Dune

After Dark is my favorite Murakami book so far although I still have a couple of his books yet to read.

On the Road is boring as all hell. I couldn't get past the first half, it's hipster crap.

Cormack McCarthy looks really interesting. I'm kinda interested in the wild west setting but idk what novel from the wild west would be a good one to try first.

Read Franny and Zooey or Flannery O'Connor.

these

If you want to read McCarthy, start with All The Pretty Horses

what book should i read to understand roman empire?

Iliad and Odyssey obviously, and then Brothers K. You won't regret it, user.

>How to Win an Argument: An Ancient Guide to the Art of Persuasion
>How to Grow Old: Ancient Wisdom for the Second Half of Life
>Gwynne's Latin
>Gwynne's Grammar
>Sentimental Education
>Revolutionary Road
>Where I'm Calling From
>Flatland
>Batman: The Man Who Laughs
>Batman: Year One

>Baudelaire - The Flowers Of Evil (I'd be reading an English-French version of it)
>Bloom - A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
>Burroughs - Naked Lunch
>Foucault - The History Of Sexuality
>Hemingway - A Farewell To Arms
>Kawabata - Snow Country
>Kerouac - The Town And The City
>Kierkegaard - Either/Or
>Lord Auch - Story Of The Eye
>Mishima - The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea
>Pynchon - The Crying Of Lot 49
>Tanizaki - Quicksand
>Tanizaki - Naomi

>Batman: The Man Who Laughs

Brubaker is a great writer and can handle Batman well. I enjoyed The Man Who Laughs, but still feel like it doesn't properly display the whole evolution the Joker underwent. If you're new to Batman, you should start with Year One anyway.

Flatland is overrated imo but still worth the read.

The Sailor Who... is probably one of my favorite books, I'd highly recommend it. It's a pretty short read too.

spqr by mary beard

after dark is great if you read it in one sitting over night

I've read A Wild Sheep Chase, Hard-Boiled Wonderland, Norwegian Wood, and a couple of short stories.

Which Murakami should I read next?

Kafka on the Shore. You should have read that first.

someone post IJ for me

My plan for this year:

Considerations on France - De Maistre
Essay on the Generative Principle - De Maistre
Fear and Trembling - Kierkegaard
The entire works of Nietzsche
The Decline of the West - Spengler
Crisis of the Modern World - Guenon
Revolt against the Modern World - Evola

I'm literally never going to finish this shit. I've been reading Don Quixote for ages and I'm finally like 80 pages from the end. I just keep buying more books.

I suppose it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm a big fan of 1Q84.

pretty good but all of Nietzsche is overkill

It's ok dude, I'm the same, it's a common middleclass problem. When you dont have to think about survival you spend money on more or less useless things. but fuck it I love going into a book store or thrift store and spending hours in it picking something out.

anyway, rea the Illiad and Perdido Street Station, that way you get your essential classic lit and some above average genre on the side.

lel i'm the same way

the search and the adding/removing books from your cart for weeks until you feel you've got the ultimate stack of books in your order is great fun

Kafka on the Shore is the best thing he's wrote and the best thing he ever will write.

Wind-up Bird Chronicle is pretty good too.

What 2 books would you recommend from Nietzsche?

I've heard from fans of his that hard-boiled wonderland is decent. I read 1Q84 and while it was a bit bloated, I liked it. very comfy.

Twilight of the Idols
Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Should I read anything before reading Flannery?
Maybe Poe?

Mmm you remind me of myself in highschool. That's not a knock, I love myself. Getting into cooking is great; just make sure to actually cook instead of just reading about it. Of the fictional stuff, I'd say go for lot 49; I think it's a really enjoyable stepping stone into postmodernism and it's academically relevant. Franny and Zooey is okay but pales in comparison to nine stories or CitR. On the Road is, I think, a bit overrated. I don't really like the beats though. Murakami is fine.

definitely beowulf, especially the seamus heaney translation. It's short too, you could read it in a day. For homer, the odyssey is more enjoyable the first read through, but since rereading the illiad I'd say it's my favorite of the two

Currently reading Bastiat's essays

No. Poe has some good ones though.

Brothers K.