What is it about the californa roll that's so addictive? Why has this roll of rice, fake crab meat...

What is it about the californa roll that's so addictive? Why has this roll of rice, fake crab meat, and avocado dominated over the western sushi scene with little to no competition? Why is it so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

history.com/news/hungry-history/nigiri-to-california-rolls-sushi-in-america
youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI
cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/
iscaliforniaonfire.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck California. I hope it burns to the ground.

It was the first """sushi""" introduced to America, and it became a fad. It's not good though.

I like a great deal of sushi. Traditional nigiri, hand rolls, and even a lot of the Americanized rolls. But the California roll? That shit sucks.

I don't think it's good at all. But it is ubiquitious, and you'll find it at any Westernized sushi place. I consider it "sushi for people who don't like sushi". Boring, bland, inoffensive flavors. And no raw fish that might upset the squeamish.

Anyway, if you like 'em then eat 'em! But personally I find them off-putting.

no it wasn't
so sick of retards just making shit up

history.com/news/hungry-history/nigiri-to-california-rolls-sushi-in-america

t.flyover

I don't know why most people seem to prefer them, they're vastly inferior to even a basic spicy tuna roll. My guess is it's more popular because flyovers are scared shitless of raw fish, and California rolls don't have that along with a much less exotic name.

I'm kind of curious where this "most people seem to prefer them" thing comes from.

Sure, you see them on every menu and they often come in combo meals, but have you ever actually seen someone order them?

I often go out for sushi, either with friends or co-workers. The people range from sushi snobs through people who really don't care for it all that much. I've never seen any of them order a California roll. All kinds of other rolls? Yes. Nigiri? Yes. Sashimi? Sure. Various other Japanese foods that aren't sushi? Of course. But I've never actually seen anyone order a California roll.

Basic sushi that's a step up in complexity from something bare bones like a kappa maki.

Why does the cook kill the guy who said "Me too" and not the original speaker? Seems unjust.

Cali roll is trash the best americanized roll is philly 100%

I work at a sushi and hibachi place and more people order the California roll than any other roll. The cooked rolls all get ordered pretty often but few go for raw fish. I live in a flyover state.

You'd need to read the whole comic for the rest of the context.

He chopped of the one guy's head because in the previous page he mixed a boatload of wasabi into his soy sauce and then spilled a bunch when dipping sushi into it. That was the real motivation for the decapitation.

t. the rest of the country

>I live in a flyover state
So your clientele are mostly rural and suburban retards who likely voted for the Cheeto in a wig? Why am I not surprised

Fake crab sucks. California rolls fucking suck. Get a king crab or snow crab roll, or hell even a softshell crab tempura roll.
Fuck a california roll.

Entry-level pleb roll. Usually you can get someone who doesn't like sushi started on a California roll. Flavors are very mild and doesn't have super mushy texture like other fish have.

Philly roll is superior

This. Spicy tuna is the more common go-to I see

Avocado gives it bad texture which is remedied by using cucumber instead.

>even a softshell crab tempura roll.
Fucking this.

I'll never order a California roll again in my life after all the delicious rolls, nigiri, and sashimi I've had by now.

I absolutely agree. Cucumber can be so fucking good in sushi.

I don't think thats going to happen anytime soon based on the rain we got

Yeah I'll keep that in mind in 10 months during your next drought.

I don't like crab / immitation crab much. Real crab is OK but I could live without it for the rest of my life.

I am all about the tuna and salmon

he's japanese. he reads right to left

>this is what Californians consider "flooded" to be

haha i never understood why this triggered weebs so much

It's shit. The only reason anyone eats it, is because people are afraid to eat raw fish but still want to say they've eaten sushi.

this tbqhfam

It was actually made in Canada

>no cucumber
>no crunchy to balance out the flaky, sticky, and soft
Look, a mix of textures is one of the most important things about any sushi roll, from the gimicky to the traditional. It's like you're trying to make me mad here.

Basically this. Maguro sushi is sushi perfected. If the place can't get it right then they have shit fish

cuck
California would fail as an independent state.

Addictive?
Fat, salt, and a basic palate.
Also, it's cheap to make, so you're gonna see it at every sushi joint.

because its bland, creamy, and nothing like sushi or sashimi. the ultimate californication of sushi. bleahh

>one little puddle and they stick up a flood warning

Cute.

>It's not good though
no shit, you fucking retard

For me, it's gotta be the deep fried crunch rolls. The best sushi rolls.

California rolls are a close second. Everything else is fucking dog food tier.

ahh the jelly so tasty give it to me bby

>nothing like sushi
>uses sushi rice
?????????????????????????????????????????????
are you going retarded?????

>""""""""""flooded""""""""""
holy shit even in Texas we only get flooded warnings when the middle of the road is under 6 inches of water atleast.

>All rice is the same
>All shit labeled as sushi rice is "sushi" rice

Lmao. How will the rest of the world get its culture tho?

If it uses the same rice as the nigiri... ah fuck it you don't get it anyway

is there something wrong with mixing the wasabi and soy? it's really yummy

is it cause he spilled it?

Your daily reminder that the japanese like trump

You're not though

I'm not what?

A little rain won't protect you from Kim Jong Un's nuclear fire.

triggered?

Japanese politics are so fucked that no one wants to run the country. I'm not going to type an essay about it, but it's fun looking into it. If you have the time, go get yourself some keks by reading up on their politics and stagnant economy.

>OP says California roll is good
>State it's not good
>Assblasted fuckstick chimes in
Nice contribution.

It's considered insulting in Japan, basically saying "you didn't balance the flavor right, here I'll fix it for you". The correct amount of wasabi is already contained in good sushi, the wasabi on the plate is a holdover from sashimi presentation. Great places also brush the correct amount of soy on, no dipping allowed.

>Japanese man beheads gaijin
>Wow so cool
>Arab man beheads kafir
>THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

wow talk about hypocrisy, why are Americans so enchanted by Japs?

what do you mean fake crab meat?

IT CANT BE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>is there something wrong with mixing the wasabi and soy? it's really yummy

It's considered bad manners. Same thing as chewing with your mouth open, dumping a bunch of salt on the food without tasting it first, asking for ketchup at a nice restaurant, and so on.

I personally don't give a crap if people want to do that though, it doesn't bother me. But It does make me wonder a bit: how the fuck are you supposed to taste the fish if you douse it in an overload of wasabi and/or soy?

>wow talk about hypocrisy

Not really. One is a comic book. It's not real. The other is very real.

>Nuclear fucking disaster made worse by politics
>Prime minister resigns
>People outrage. Nuclear energy abolished
>New prime minister in charge
>Lol it's okay guys nuclear energy is safe, turn all the plants back on
Sasuga Japan! Japanese politics are totally not USA's bitch, no wonder they love this retard- I mean, glorious emperor.

>how the fuck are you supposed to taste the fish if you douse it in an overload of wasabi and/or soy?

which brings us full circle. Cucumber, avacado, and fake crab all go great with wasabi soy sauce, which makes the cali roll the perfect i don't give a fuck gas station sushi.

>agree with guy
>call him retarded

Fake crab or whatever the fuck that filling is, is disgusting. For me, it's a salmon roll

Good taste but nothing beats fatty tuna yellowfin, the patrician's true choice

California rolls are the chicken nuggets of sushi. They're for people who are scared of eating raw fish.

basically what this nigga said >tuna
>ikura
>mackerel
>salmon
>handrolls
>nigiri
>chirashi

Hell, even a spicy tuna roll would be fine.

There's just more exciting things to eat if you go to a sushi restaurant. Only white people order shit like california rolls then drench it in mayonaise.

>yellowtail roll with scallions

why not just tell your friends to get tamago sushi if they're so afraid of raw fish
i fucking love tamago

Flyovers low raw oysters yet are scared of raw fish.

More and more flyovers are falling for the Poke Meme which has a lot of raw fish yet are still scared of sushi.

What the fuck is wrong with flyovers? They are so contradicting.

Can handle raw oysters, can handle poke, but can't handle sushi and sashimi.

flyover are scared of anything by color people
if Italians were still considered not white people, they'd be shit scared of it as well

youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI

I think you're over exaggerating a bit, and Asian people aren't really "colored", which is a stupid terminology in and of itself.

>Friends or family go out for sushi
>They order big westernized fried "rolls" coated in sauces and crunchy things and more sauces
>I order sake nigiri because it's the best fucking combination of texture and flavor I can ever put in my face
>"user, are you sure you don't want to order actual sushi?"

flyovers are a simple group of people
they're neither curious nor adventurous
they're set in their simple ways, anything outside of their simple ways is viewed as dangerous
that even include white people food that isn't French or Italian

>implying flyovers would eat real italian food without making loud gagging noises
>implying flyovers would eat french food without shrieking about the mean snobs that made them feel dumb

Thanks. Me too

That is my favorite by far, the sake nigiri. Hnnnnnng. I could eat that til I explode like Mr Creosote. (ok so not quite THAT much, but close)

Eggs always give me digestive problems but for tamago sushi I'm willing to risk it on occasion

>mfw cucumber in my caliroll

>tfw work at a sushi bar and get to eat any kind of sushi I want all day every day

I got bored of salmon nigiri long ago.

dude you got an egg allergy...? its actually more common than people think.

t.flyover cuck

I have a friend who insists she likes sushi but only ever orders the "kentucky" roll. Which apparently has fried chicken in it or some shit.

Fucking infuriating.

>California has all of it's food supplied by "flyover states"
It's fine though I'm sure you can all survive on Starbucks macchiatos

I wish I had an egg alergy so I could use that as an excuse for my complete inability to enjoy the taste and smell of eggs. It's the only thing I don't like.

cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/
They grow the most shit. Sure L.A. would starve but as a whole CA's not some concrete jungle that would wither on the vine. I'm a flyover too but fuck no amount of calling a Californian a cuck is gonna make my shit grow better. If we could grow shit off impotent rage we'd all be in rain forests

What do you recommend?

just say you have an egg allergy then who is going to question that

>I don't understand how GDP is calculated
If you werent on the coast you'd have the GDP of Idaho
But please, no, try and brag about being a literal transport warehouse for the rest of the nation. I'm sure that makes you feel like your "culture" is worth so much.

Jesus, we're talking about sushi. Can you have one thought that doesn't lead back to you being assblasted about losing?

And? You're really trying to have a dick measuring contest over your inability to prevent floods?

iscaliforniaonfire.com/

wtf is a "flyover"

A buzzword that's either used by Californians and New Yorkers, or shitty bait, most often the second category.

The correct way to refute it is to use the phrases "cuck" or "triggered librul"

Welcome to Veeky Forums, enjoy the For me threads

I hope it spreads throughout the entire state.

>yummy
yamete

it's good because sense it's not real sushi it keeps well and is decent for a fast grab and go snack anytime.
Rice and seaweed is a pretty tasty snack just on it's own.
A lot of Californians fell for the 'sushi is fancy and expensive meme' when really in japan a lot of places serve it fast and cheap, almost like fast food.
So when your choice is between a California roll served by that cutey highschooler vs having to dress up and pay $15+ for each small bite fish being served by dressed up japanese men with frowns on their faces, for fish that is not as good as street bar places in japan, you get an emotional connection with the California roll.
Don't get me wrong, there is fancy sushi that is worth it, but 90% of the pricey places in California are serving the same blah fish as everywhere else from the wholesaler.

Anyplace that isn't a major coastal city.

I enjoyed this post. Thanks.

So I noticed in my local supermarket they've opened a kiosk where they sell freshly prepared sushi (literally a bunch of Japs in the back making it), what's a good beginner sushi I can buy? I've never had it before.