If I was frozen for 100 years and dethawed/rejuvenated by modern science...

If I was frozen for 100 years and dethawed/rejuvenated by modern science, would I be dead and a new consciousness forms in my place?

The person that is dethawed would remember all of my feelings etc.
but would it really be me?

What if like 1/8th of my brain was damaged and advanced science replaced it with the same neurons etc that I had before?
What if 1/4th? What if 1/2? What if 90% of by brain was destroyed and then repaired to it's initial condition?

What if an exact copy of me is formed? Would that consciousness be me?

Is it the energy flowing in the brain? Is it the neurons themselves?
It it someone spiritual/metaphysical?

Something in the universe must decide these rules.
What is it? How does it work?
How is it that there is a mechanism that destroys and establishes a hard consciousness?

>If I was frozen for 100 years and dethawed/rejuvenated by modern science
it's just like pressing the pause button in a videogame, but for reals. OK really there isn't enough data to answer this question because you haven't said shit about what the dethawing process, this thread is thus pointless.

\thread

Assume the body is a complex machine.
Without electrical signals your "soul" and all higher cognitive functions are frozen. This would mean you are exactly the same person once an electric shock and thaw has been applied because you are just pouring petrol (heat and energy) into a car that has been left in a garage...

What a sad day it is when a man can so quickly be encapsulated by a mathematical function...but such is the way of progress.

>OK really there isn't enough data to answer this question because you haven't said shit about what the dethawing process
All you need to know is you would be exactly like you would be before you were frozen(and whatever caused you to die in the first place would be cured)
Possibly through some highly advanced nanotech robots.

How do you know it isn't a different "you" evey time you wake up?

you don't.

how do you know it isn't a different you every fucking second?

Do spirits exist?

Yeah that's my point. The question in the op is a philosophical one, and, as far as I know, unknowable.

>philosophical
but laws of the universe are what decides these things

>if I went to sleep and then woke up, would I be dead and a new consciousness forms in my place?

But seriously, stop thinking of your consciousness as a single, clearly bounded thing.

The continuity of your identity from one moment to the next is 100% determined by your memories and thought processes. You don't need to posit consciousness as some fixed, unchanging entity with individuality to explain it.

this post is bullshit and explains NOTHING

>The continuity of your identity
It's not my identity, it's my consciousness.
Even if somehow my memories were completely changed to be like another person. I would still have the same consciousness and feel the same things, just different types of things.

>It's not my identity, it's my consciousness.
Your identity, the feeling that you're the same now as you were 5 seconds ago, is simply a result of how your brain works (i.e. thoughts and memories). You just conflate it with consciousness because of course all the conscioussness you've experienced is linked to your identity. But that doesn't mean that your consciousness is a fixed object that provides your identity for you. It's just a byproduct of the computations going on in your brain.
I don't think it even makes sense to talk about consciousness in those terms. Same as when a log of wood is on fire, you don't stop to think whether this fire is the same fire as 5 seconds ago, and it really doesn't matter shit whether you extinguish the fire for a year and then light it again, or not. It's just fire emanating from wood, and any fire is interchangeable.

Those are some big claims buddy boy.
>It's just a byproduct of the computations going on in your brain.
Got a citation for that?

then why does happiness feel the way it does
then why does pain feel the way it does
what about the countless other sensations?

Why do I feel my consciousness and not anyone elses?

You haven't solved the hard problem of consciousness.
You are just ignoring it.

my brain cells are the same I had when I got asleep.

These claims are not any more ridiculous than the talk about destroying and establishing a hard consciousness.
Anyway I just think this is the most logical way to think about it, especially because we know that our minds function by purely physical means from neurology (and frankly common sense).
>You haven't solved the hard problem of consciousness.
>You are just ignoring it.
I don't claim to have solved it, I'm merely saying that you shouldn't make the assumptions you're making about consciousness when reasoning about the hard problem. Questions like "why am I me and not someone else" or "what happens to my consciousness if I clone myself" are just red herrings.

>I'm merely saying that you shouldn't make the assumptions you're making about consciousness when reasoning about the hard problem. Questions like "why am I me and not someone else" or "what happens to my consciousness if I clone myself" are just red herrings
why are they
they aren't

can you just admit you don't know the answer to these questions

There are people RN frozen in cryostasis. Nobody is sure what will happen when they wake up. All that is happening is that THEY ARE REALLLY FUCKING COLD (even colder than when surgeons perform

>why am I me and not someone else
This question just makes no sense. It assumes that there was some assignment between consciousnesses and bodies, and you're asking for the logic behind this assignment. But such a process is simply not what actually happens. Your physical body simply exists, therefore it also exhibits consciousness, and has the capacity to ask silly questions. Same as with everyone.

>what happens to your consciousness if you clone yourself
Then there are two (initially identical) persons who both have consciousness. Again, it doesn't make sense to ask which consciousness is the original one. If the cloning is accurate enough, both minds are equally valid continuations of the original one, based on the memories and the way their brain works.

>It assumes that there was some assignment between consciousnesses and bodies
but there literally is

>therefore it also exhibits consciousness
yes but my consciousness continues from one moment to the next, I am still the same consciousness
what makes this happen?
What would make me a different consciousness?
Why am I not you?

>but there literally is
How do you know that?

because of all the reasons listen in OP.
Where does my consciousness begin and another's begin?

>because of all the reasons listen in OP.
Hm I disagree. It's a hidden assumption behind all the questions OP is asking, but that's not a good justification.
>Where does my consciousness begin and another's begin?
Well, the information processing in your brain is much more tightly integrated with itself than with literally everything else. You can't read other people's thoughts and you can't access their memories, that's what ultimately provides the separation between different minds.
>Why am I not you?
Well if you look at it from the outside this question makes no sense at all, right? Let's say I have two children, Alice and Bob, and Alice says to Bob "why am I not you?". But from my perspective, it doesn't make sense at all to question why Alice is Alice and Bob is Bob. They're just two different persons each with their own point of view.

>my consciousness isn't real
lmao what a retard

I'm not saying that at all.

>There are people RN dead in a freezer
FTFY

cryostasis is quack territory. The soul is gone.
The copy would never gain consciousness, and likely would never have alive state even on the cellular level.

lies

>The copy would never gain consciousness, and likely would never have alive state even on the cellular level.
Why not?

How the fuck do you check your brain cells every morning?

there are frogs that regularly survive being frozen solid. is the frog a different frog in the spring then it was in the fall?

The mental fortitude required to live through such an event makes the frog a different person, for sure.

No.

bump

What are the answers to these questions

>soul
proof?

Consciousness is a self-referential loop. You're already dying every second you exist.

The "I" is an illusion. Your consciousness changes from moment to moment and therefore you become someone new every moment. You only believe you are the same conciousness you were last week because you have memories.

explain

>yes but my consciousness continues from one moment to the next, I am still the same consciousness
How do you know that? An ideal copy of you would also believe that, even though it hasn't existed moments ago. Memories aren't a sufficient proof of continuity of conciousness.

your brain cells do not change throughout your entire life. You don't get new ones and the old ones dont die (if not for a very small percentage)

>dethawed
3.5/10

Only a feral nig who assigns no value to life would think they lack a soul.

This sounds really mindfucking but when you think about it it's really quite simple. The question of which you is you is just meaningless. There is no one "you", you are only a piece of information, like a file on a computer. If an exact copy of you is formed, then one more of you exists, that's all there is to it. You can call the copy a copy and not the real you, but the distinction means nothing more than we want it to mean. Just like if you copy a file on a computer, it's not really interesting to ask which of the two files is the "original file". They are both identical so it doesn't matter.

this is a science board

prove to me souls exist

I would like them to exist though

I'm talking about the consciousness itself, not the material that makes up the consciousness

you've answered nothing

It's the same exact thing. There's no other explanation that the consciousness is inherent to the system. If you make a copy, you now have two consciousnesses that are identical, just like the files on the PC.

okay but what about the countless other questions in the OP?

Their answers all naturally follow from what I said. What question in particular is unclear?

lel read the questions again, you really only answered one of them

>If I was frozen for 100 years and dethawed/rejuvenated by modern science, would I be dead and a new consciousness forms in my place?
"dead" and "new" are meaningless words when it comes to consciousnesses. Assuming the freezing and thawing process is non-damaging, the consciousnesses are identical, that's all that matters.

>The person that is dethawed would remember all of my feelings etc.
but would it really be me?

Meaningless question. The consciousnesses are identical, that's all that matters.

>What if like 1/8th of my brain was damaged and advanced science replaced it with the same neurons etc that I had before?
What if 1/4th? What if 1/2? What if 90% of by brain was destroyed and then repaired to it's initial condition?

Meaningless question. The consciousnesses are identical, that's all that matters.

>What if an exact copy of me is formed? Would that consciousness be me?

>Is it the energy flowing in the brain? Is it the neurons themselves?
>It it someone spiritual/metaphysical?
>Something in the universe must decide these rules.
>What is it? How does it work?
>How is it that there is a mechanism that destroys and establishes a hard consciousness?

We don't know for sure of course, but the only thing that makes sense to me, and what I've based all the other answers on, is that consciousness is inherent to sufficiently complex systems. Being entirely subjective and unmeasurable, this too doesn't really matter.

>Meaningless question. The consciousnesses are identical, that's all that matters.
It's not meaningless, you're a fucking retard.

If 5% of your brain was destroyed and then reanimated, would it really be the same consciousness?

If 99% of your brain was destroyed and then reanimated, would it really be the same consciousness?

What if 100% of the brain was destroyed and then reanimated somewhere else.
Then it would be a copy and not the same consciousness.

Where is the line?
You're a fucking idiot.

>Being entirely subjective and unmeasurable, this too doesn't really matter.
But it does matter, it's an extremely important issue in bioethics.

>a new consciousness
yes, God will grab a new consciousness from his drawer and put it in your body.

Your consciousness will be tossed into the trash.

Just like what happens whenever you are put under anesthesia, "lose consciousness" or go to sleep.

If you ever not conscious, even for an instant, your previous "soul" dies and is swapped for a new one with the same memories.

have fun sleeping tonight.

There is no such thing as "same consciousness". A consciousness is not a continuous state, it only appears that way. There is literally no difference between the consciousness in a snapshot copy of a brain and a brain that has existed for years. Hell, for all you know you are just a Boltzmann brain and your oh-so-precious sense of self is a complete and utter delusion.

Therefore there is literally no difference between destroying a brain and remaking it, and destroying any arbitrary percent of the brain and remaking it, and not destroying the brain at all. The resulting consciousnesses are completely identical and any distinction is meaningless.

>But it does matter, it's an extremely important issue in bioethics.
Then that field itself is meaningless because they can't hope to conclude anything, ever.

Omg I'm dead. Omg I just died again. Omg I died another time.

what the fuck get me out of this hellhole, I just keep dying!

>your oh-so-precious sense of self
I bet you have zero friends.

lmao, says the guy who just starts insulting people on the internet when he loses debates

>The resulting consciousnesses are completely identical and any distinction is meaningless.
This is retarded.

>Therefore there is literally no difference between destroying a brain and remaking it
How can you even prove this is true?
You can't.

you didn't even answer any question clearly
you have no sense of self, you're a loser lol

>yes but my consciousness continues from one moment to the next, I am still the same consciousness
proofs?

because I've been sitting here typing this for several moments

inb4 boltzmann brainz

>This is retarded.
It's the least retarded explanation the way I see it.

>How can you even prove this is true?
>You can't.
Of course I can't. That's why I already said this topic is meaningless. No conclusion will ever come due to the unmeasurable nature of consciousnesses.

>No conclusion will ever come due to the unmeasurable nature of consciousnesses.
You don't know if that's true or not.
Science may be able to explain this later.

Anyway, it's a weird thing that consciousness even exists in the first place and that we're all not mindless zombies that appear to have consciousness.

do not respond to shitposters

have you? what if what you think as you is merely replaced each attosecond, your memories firmly making you believe that you are indeed you?

>what if
yeah exactly
who cares?

apparently you, as you are replying, and me, who is making the post

How about we freeze a person for week and see what happens.

time and consciousness are both spooky as fuck when you think about it

Don't even respond please.

You're responding to non-brainers.

You are dead the moment you are frozen OP.

Basic.. Your consciousness will be there. BUT your memories could be all damaged or scrambled

For a fictional example of the OP's problem, you can read 3001, the fourth book in the Space Odyssey series. SBOILERS :DDD -

Astronaut Frank Poole's body is recovered a thousand years after he had been attacked by HAL - out in the vicinity of Neptune and Pluto's orbits. Ironically, this timeframe and premise are almost identical to the starting premise of the Futurama series (shown in the OP) - 3001 and the Futurama pilot were each released within a few years of each other, with the 3001 book dropping first IIRC.

Cryo-sleep is a common sci-fi premise, but the closeness of the dates involved and the two media installments suggests that one nicked this version of the idea from the other...

Freeezing a dude is not the hard part, the hard part is reviving him lol.
But anyway there's plenty of people who've been in a coma for weeks. I'm not sure if there are documented cases of someone's brain starting to work again after being brain-dead, though. Don't think so but would like to be proven wrong.

There's a scifi story about an alien race that doesn't sleep, and then they meet earthlings and this is basically their thought process. Would like to know the name if anyone recognizes it.