Why do people believe that there are aliens out there? There is simply no evidence of that...

Why do people believe that there are aliens out there? There is simply no evidence of that. People keep doing those stupid projects like SETI that give 0 result but they keep believing that aliens exist.

The same people that don't believe in God because of lack of evidence believe in aliens despite the absolute lack of evidence. They also create stupid excuses about why we never find those aliens: "muh Great Filter".

Grow up! Aliens are a fantasy!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J9J13F-OlQQ
math.stackexchange.com/questions/41107/zero-probability-and-impossibility
motls.blogspot.com/2009/08/fermi-kills-all-lorentz-violating.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment
youtube.com/watch?v=vRJ5cCP0ZPE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>"hurr durr, a civilization 3 can control entire galaxies"

alien believers can't see how stupid they look saying shit like this.

remember: there's no evidence for alien life at all, let alone intelligent alien life.

>I need more money to find super advanced ultra-aliens
>oh no, that's not a waste of money at all.

explain this op

whatever you say im going to say back
"There is simply no evidence of that."
Then if you attempt to provide evidence, i will question your methods and lack of understanding concerning the tools you use to provide the evidence.

We don't even know how life on earth started, it may be the case that the phenomenon is some ultra-rare shit that is to statistically unlikely to happen again. But, no, alien believers would never consider that even if the actual evidences point to this direction.

what? Science is based on evidences. We have evidence that the Earth is not flat, we have evidence that evolution is real, we have evidence that drinking sulfuric acid is not a good idea...but aliens, we have 0 evidence that aliens exist, just pseudoscience bullshit.

pic was evidence

Faking shit is way too easy to believe anything like this.

Consider:
Why do people believe that there are no aliens out there? There is simply no evidence of that.

I agree op, these people just have small brains or something. It's a complete wast of money as is most extrasolar research.

We have evidence that life exists in the universe: us.

now tell me one thing we have found in the universe that only exists in one place except life. I'll tell you: none.

considering those 2 observations the odds that there has been, there is or there will be life in other planets are almost infinte.

>don't believe in God because of lack of evidence

Not getting off your fat ass to look for evidence =/= lack of evidence.

Hey that applies to everything

>Hey that applies to everything
Not true. It takes proportionally greater effort to fake things from multiple angles, in multiple sequences, with multiple witnesses, and sufficient detail on a sufficient number of subjects.

Is THAT what your girlfriend told you?

Remember: If it's not black, an orgasm she will lack.

kek. Go back to

youtube.com/watch?v=J9J13F-OlQQ

I think a lot of the talk about finding life on Mars or Europa or Enceladus etc is just bs from planetary scientists who want public interest in their field so they don't lose funding. I don't think they really believe it themselves. Not sure about SETI but it might be something similar.

We have a lot of evidence to suggest that life is an unlikely thing to just spontaneously arise, and especially for intelligent life, the chances of it being close enough for us to causally interact with it any time in the relevant future seems very low. But people just want to believe there's something out there to discover, I guess. It's a natural impulse, but it's becoming less and less rational the more we learn about the universe.

>Why do people believe that there are aliens out there? There is simply no evidence of that.
Because we exist. We are proof that it is possible for life to rise in our universe. Since there is a non-zero probability of life, it is possible that this phenomenon has risen elsewhere. If an apple falls from a tree, you would conclude that other things might fall as well and there is a possibility that some of those things are also apples coming from trees.

>The same people that don't believe in God because of lack of evidence
If you are to believe in god, why not believe in any unfalsifiable thing with the same degree of confidence such as the brain in a vat theory?
Personally I think if a god exists he is more akin to lovecraft's Azathoth than the bibles Yawveh. If you take an honest look around you, you will see that reality is fragmented and each part butchers the others mercilessely in a great cosmic dance of blood and suffering.

Ding ding ding

>Since there is a non-zero probability of life
[citation needed]

What's the matter, no understanding of probability?

ok. you're trolling. Or you are the OP trying to extend his thread's life in a manner more subtle than a normal bump.
But please enlighten me on your understanding of probability oh great Bayesian Master!

I'm not trolling, and I'm not OP.

You made the claim there is a non-zero probability of life. What is that based on?

I don't know dude. I'm just guessing. You got me there!

>I don't know dude. I'm just guessing. You got me there!
So why state the claim as if it's a fact?

>now tell me one thing we have found in the universe that only exists in one place except life.

The Boomerang Nebula is the only thing in the universe colder than -450F, we never found anything natural in that temperature range. SO your argument is invalid.

How can you talk about probability when you have a sample of ONLY 1? Are you retarded?

No, I'm the OP, this guy is not me.

I don't know.. I guess I wanted to fit in? I just.... you made me re-evaluate everything. This is a hard moment for me, okay? Oh my god I'm a failure! How could I not see? Life doesn't exist. I don't exist! Descartes lied to me!

Not sure if you're still trolling, or actually special needs, but I'll bite. If life had a 0 probability of existing in the universe we would not be here. You don't need to do a fucking statistical thesis on the data. The fact that we are alive requires life to have a nonzero probably of existing.

Dude. Why did you ruin this? C'mon don't take the bait. Play along like I did. Of course this guy understands.

Have you ever taken a class on probability in your life?

Plenty of things with zero probability of happening can happen.

>Plenty of things with zero probability of happening can happen
Please go on! This is getting interesting.

>Plenty of things with zero probability of happening can happen.
Like aliens existing

Name the integer I'm thinking of.

>Like aliens existing
Exactly. I don't see why people are making claims about probability when they've never taken a class on it before. Isn't this stuff taught in high school now anyway?

how the fact that there's life on Earth makes the probability of life outside Earth possible? The two events are different, you can't say that because A occurs then B is possible, that's not how probability works.

Example: The fact that 0^3 + 0^3 = 0^3 does not mean that there's any other non-negative integer for wich a^3 + b^3 = c^3, the probability of a^3 + b^3 = c^3 where none of the integers is 0 is still 0 even tho the probability when 0 is allowed is non-zero.

So, the fact that there is life on Earth has nothing to do with the probability of life outside Earth, you can't infer probabilities that way.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

oh SNAAAAAAP!!

I'm sorry. I just want to learn that's all.
Please elaborate on your statement so I can better myself.

math.stackexchange.com/questions/41107/zero-probability-and-impossibility

There is a high probability that it either is or contains 3 and/or 7

OP here

He is talking about the continuum. When you're dealing with the continuum you can have, for example, If you throw a dart into the real numbers, the chance of the dart reaching any individual number is 0, but one number will be the target anyway. The probability of this number being the one for the dart to land was 0 but it landed anyway.

>just noticed that this argument is valid for other infinites, but who cares

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
All it means is that we haven't seen an alien yet.

This does not apply to the probabilites of events in our universe such as aliens considering we live in a quantized rather than infinitely divided universe.

>we live in a quantized rather than infinitely divided universe.
[citation needed]

>Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

this ounds very gay, fuck off.

I'm not claiming that it's impossible to be aliens out there, just that we should care about aliens as much as we care about Santa and the Easter Bunny. There's no evidence for none of them, yet people think that aliens are real somehow.

>this ounds very gay, fuck off.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence is a very elementary property of science, if you can't accept this you might want to entertain another board such as /x/.

I'm not claiming that it's wrong, just that saying it that way "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is gay as fuck and makes you sound like a cock sucker. Faggot. if you can't accept this you might want to entertain another board such as /lgbt/.

All the evidence up to now points to that. Quantum Electrodynamics for example has been THE single most succesful theory and its predictions have set it apart from everything else by magnitutes of accuracy. If you think that is not the case you can present your own alternative theory.

>just that saying it that way "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is gay as fuck and makes you sound like a cock sucker.
No, in fact it's very standard. If you can't understand such basic tenets of science you might want to devote yourself to something less intellectually demanding like mail delivery or garbage collecting, you're probably not fit for any STEM field.

I can understand and it is a very gay statement, you sound like a retard who can't understand the difference between "gay" and "invalid", you should be doing the garbage collecting so you could interact with people and be less autistic. Also, sorry for ruining your child dreams about aliens.

now you The proposition that distances or durations become discrete near the Planck scale is a scientific hypothesis and it is one that may be - and, in fact, has been - experimentally falsified. For example, these discrete theories inevitably predict that the time needed for photons to get from very distant places of the Universe to the Earth will measurably depend on the photons' energy.

The Fermi satellite has showed that the delay is zero within dozens of milliseconds

motls.blogspot.com/2009/08/fermi-kills-all-lorentz-violating.html

which proves that the violations of the Lorentz symmetry (special relativity) of the magnitude that one would inevitably get from the violations of the continuity of spacetime have to be much smaller than what a generic discrete theory predicts.

sorry, no discrete universe for now.

Lol

>I can understand and it is a very gay statement
Why the homophobia? Homophobia is a very unscientific belief so I guess its well suited for you, but this is just further evidence you don't quite qualify for any STEM field.

>motls.blogspot.
>he links to a blog by a climate change denier in an attempt to backup something scientific

Diameter of milky way: 100,000 light years
Fastest cruising speed of a probe we can make with current technology: 1/5000 the speed of light
Time to cross Galaxy: half a billion years
Number of star systems on milk way: 100 billion

If an intelligent race with our level of technology wanted to send a probe to every star system it would take a billion years, give or take an order of magnitude.

Age of milky way: 13 billion years

The fact I'm not watching aliens jerk off on the galactanet right now proves we're alone.

>homophobia is unscientific

Found the Redditor.

Sorry, I don't need the approval of a random autistic brainlet to perform my profession, that's why I got my degrees.

>I don't need the approval of a random autistic brainlet to perform my profession
>that's why I got my degrees.
Oh the irony

>uses redditspacing
>calls other Redditors

The post is good and the study is legit. Don't know about the blog or the author's position.

>now you
When I read this I just imagined you pointing at me with an angry look ready to hand out an ass-whooping. That was funny.
>distances or durations become discrete near the Planck scale is a scientific hypothesis and it is one that may be - and, in fact, has been - experimentally falsified
Well of course it may be. Otherwise it would be unfalsifiable and non-scientific. Has it been though?
>these discrete theories inevitably predict that the time needed for photons to get from very distant places of the Universe to the Earth will measurably depend on the photons' energy.
Which theories? You have to be more specific. You also have to show me the inferential path between such a claim and the quantized nature of our reality.
>something something blogspot dot com
okay.... Why the fuck did I waste my time reading this?
>the violations of the Lorentz symmetry (special relativity) of the magnitude that one would inevitably get from the violations of the continuity of spacetime have to be much smaller than what a generic discrete theory predicts
I'm sure you have an alternative theory then. But don't tell me. Go get a nobel by smashing the ccurrent paradigm of physics. And that generic discrete theory would be quantum mechanics. you know how we can reconsile that with special relativity? Quantum fucking electrodynamics!!

>Has an intimate knowledge of Reddit post formatting
>Accuses others of being from Reddit

>line spacing is "intimate knowledge"

>Knowing the spacing commonly used on a site he claims not to be a part of
>Not knowledge that people who don't use Reddit would lack

>he's so new to Veeky Forums that's he/she's never seen a screenshot of a reddit post
First day here?

>Backed into a corner, the Redditor invents occurrences that any casual 4channer would know is bullshit

So what if he uses reddit? He is with "them" instead of "us" you ape? Reddit has millions of subreddits (like our boards) and tens maybe hundreds of millions of users. Some of them can actually be GASP! informative.

Kill yourself, Redditor

>the Redditor invents occurrences that any casual 4channer would know is bullshit
Oh, so, laughably, wrong.

Make me bitch

Reddit: Exposed

I've dealt with too many brainlets to not know that this man has a zero probability of knowing this. There was a nonzero probability that his knowledge about probability was correct, I had to make statistically sure that he knew the probability of ayylmaos.

I'll be honest with you. I researched a little and made that post. I didn't even check the link to see if it was a legit blog. I researched more to give you a better answer and that's what I have:

There's no definitve answer for now, we don't know if the universe is discrete or continous. As you pointed(I think it was you) QED is a very predictive theory and it assumes a discrete univere, but in the other hand general relativity is also a very powerful and predictive theory and it assumes a continuous universe. The thing is, we have some experimental evidence pointing to the idea that space is continuous(or that at least the planck scale is not the smallest scale), but nothing conclusive.

We know that the Lorentz symmetry holds even below the Planck length, so that's really hard to explain in a discrete universe and that's what I was talking about.

>I researched a little
Thank you for taking the time to do that
>We know that the Lorentz symmetry holds even below the Planck length
We... what? How do we know that? In a discrete universe it is impossible to observe such a thing experimentally.

I would also like to point out that QED is the MOST predictive theory. If anything we should at least act as if it's the truth considering at this point in time it has the highest probability compared to alternatives and update our beliefs only if another theory comes up.

General relativity doesn't assume a universe that can be infinitely divided to my knowledge, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The chemical formation of self-replicating molecules is trivial and should be abundant in the galaxy. SETI is a bit obtuse, but it is also plausible that relatively nearby planets have conscious intelligence that has been evolving for million of years more than humans.

>The chemical formation of self-replicating molecules

Can you give me some? Never found a lab doing any.

Redditors Gone Wild!

Finally 18!

"Downvote these titties bitch!" - Trans Redditor

there is probably aliens out there
just not intelligent aliens
intelligence, especially our kind, requires a lot of variables to align

found the autist

OP is right, there is no evidence.
Such a vast universe does provide a higher better likelihood though.

There are experiments like the Miller-Urey as well as Oro's where one can form the precursors to our molecules given an early Earth-like atmosphere (or in Oro's case, produces adenine). With that, I don't think it's wrong to assume it could happen somewhere else similar to how it happened on earth. Life may be too sparsely spread to evolve into intelligence or to take hold.

In addition to having the right planetary conditions, you have to account for extrasolar events like gamna ray bursts or supernovae that can wipe out all life as we know it. It may only start and take hold in places with less of those things, like how our sun is located on the edge of the galaxy.

Intelligence and reach out*

its based on us you idiot.. the fact we exist is already a non zero probability

And how would you know that such probe was sent? At our current level of technological advancement there is no way that it would carry enough fuel to enter earth's orbit, it would just do a flyby. Did you monitor tiny probe flybys for the last 12,5 billion years? Can you post your probe detectors here? I'm interested in that shit.

You seem to know reddit more than anyone here.

>its based on us you idiot.. the fact we exist is already a non zero probability
>the fact we exist is already a non zero probability
Why?

sweet fuck thank you

M I L L E R U R E Y E X P E R I M E N T

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

I unironically wish the turtlenecks w/ a sport coat look was still in fashion

okay so something no pone ever talks about with this whole "i want to believe" shit is time.
fucking time people. the only thing that come close to the vastness of space.
if you are clinging to the sliver of hope of whatever small probability you keep under your pillow compare that infinitesimally small chance and compare that across all time and the likelyhood that even a thriving multi-system civilization of utpoian living high elves lasting eons would some how miraculously exist during our pin prick of an existence in this universe..
get real

and another thing. even if we somehow just knew deep in our precious little hearts they were out there waiting for us. us and all of our bloodlines would be completely killed off by the time we got there of got any "evidence".

Because evolution would only occur on one planet within a solar system within an entire galaxy within a universe of galaxies, amiright?

The chances of life existing is greater than a God.

because if we would not exist, there would be a zero probability, and life could exist nowhere.
we exist, therefore it is a non zero probability that life can exist anywhere else. given how vastly, unfathomable large our galaxy by itself is, and that there are uncountable more galaxies out there, its quite ridiculous to believe there aren't other life forms out there, no other forms of basic plant life or animals. even microbes would count, and even those would evolve to higher organisms given their environment has resources abundant enough to sustain more complex life forms.

>we exist, therefore it is a non zero probability that life can exist anywhere else
Proof?

so first off the fact that there are other earth like planets might suggest some rudimentary form of alien life, microscopic, or simple lifeforms.

however I would like to point out something that my favorite movie of all time pointed out.

youtube.com/watch?v=vRJ5cCP0ZPE

If aliens posses the technolgy to span lightyears in such a short amount of time, they would also be time travellers and not just space travellers.

which could be why we don't see any aliens now, becuase the aliens in the present can only travel backwards in time when ever they leave their home.
So when ever they leave their home in Current year and visit earth they arrive 2000 years in the past.

i mean the universe is not that old, the earth is like 1/3 of the age of the universe and it only got life recently, it wouldn't be that surprising that we are the first ones if it takes 1/3 of all available time ever to grow life in 1 planet

One need only look at CRISPr to realise that if we can make a fucking grey in a lab...
We are the aliens...

>.>

"Only got life recently"? Earth got life just about as soon as it cooled enough to have liquid oceans.

Human intelligence got here recently but it could have gotten here a lot sooner.

life's not worth much until you can have sopa de macaco

So if there's lack of eveidence we should quit researching for it?!? WTF man that's incredibly anti-scientific!