Antartica how do?

Posted this on /trv/ but the board seems dead so giving a try here

I am currently a US college student planning on going away to a state University soon in Illinois, but the Antarctic has always fascinated me

I plan on studying geology and environmental sciences, but I here in order to actually get to Antarctica you have to be hired to go there. Im wondering first how would one get a job as a field scientist or intern? I personally dont give a shit about snow or cold, I love it I'm from Chicago and was in the boy-scouts. It pains me whenever I see people complain about stuff especially the cold. I personally think it would actually be fun to dive those cold waters in a dry suit, or go out on long expeditions. I think penguins are also pretty cool, not really scared of sea lions or the ocean.

TLDR, How can I get a job in antartica without getting beat out by all the MIT students and scientest crew

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dH573B1bkHI
lockheedmartin.com/us/products/antarctic-support-contract/jobs-in-antarctica/visit-partners.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bumping?

Ya know when you complain about people who complain it's still complaining. Also, nobody here would have any more knowledge on this than a basic Google search would, where tf do you think u are?

>but I here in order to actually get to Antarctica you have to be hired to go there
Nope, they organize trips through travel agencies in which you can go there as tourists. Only during certain times of the year though, I think.
My grandmother went three and a half months ago.

If you actually want a job though, they literally do internships there that you might be able to snag. One of my friends got a summer internship (new zealand) and go to go there for two weeks of it as part of that.

Join the military?

Think of some research to do there that hasn't been done yet.

I've been fascinated myself, but they don't need math majors there :(

I recently just watched The Thing and got an Antarctica boner again.

Also, wtf is google hiding on Mt. Terror?

You can just be a tourist in Antarctica.
But I suppose it would be a expensive and not as good as actually researching there.

Do you have to go via a job?
If you can pay, there are a number of tours which actually gets you onto Antarctica for a couple of days...
Most depart from Argentina (departing from Ushuaia) or New Zealand (from Invercargill, more expensive and longer than the Argentina option).

If you insist on a job, get a PhD first... There's a job ad for the CSIRO (Australian government science body) that's based in Antarctica that's being advertised right now, but it's a postdoc position which doesn't sound like you qualify for...

What's up with the Antarctic that draws you so?
What about the far more accessible arctic?
Otherwise, tourism:
Add “Glamping in Antarctica” to Your Travel Bucket List - $72,000
thepointsguy com/2016/09/glamping-in-antarctica-travel-bucket-list/

Last Week Tonight, Stay Away! Start at 30 seconds.
youtube.com/watch?v=dH573B1bkHI

>What's up with the Antarctic that draws you so?
Not OP but I think all men can relate to the sense of adventure a place like the Antarctic brings.

Work hard user. Other than that look up scientists who do/did work on the Antarctic, what qualifications they have, what path did they took, who they worked for.
Perhaps you can even try contacting them, they'll be able to give you a better answer than Veeky Forums

OP here

I dont want to "camp in antartica, I want to live there. Going down there for a couple weeks makes no sense economically. Id love to be part of Mcmurdos Reasearch/ support staff, I hear they have a pretty decent base down there, South pole station also sounds interesting

tired of the US and all its BS esspecially with materialism and normies. literally no one except the hardiest of souls go to Antarctica let alone want to live there, Alaska does sound interesting with gold nuggets, yukon, bald eagles and crab, but its full of white trash and rampant alcoholism.

Antarctica is almost like a space station, its quiet peaceful and you don't have to worry about getting eaten alive

Never heard of going through invercargill.. The only flights there leave from Christchurch. Is it a boat trip? That would be a good way of getting there

honestly, just send what you wrote here (but a bit more professional) to someone in charge of hiring (or anyone who works where you want to work but ask who you should contact). People like to see ambition a lot more than experience and this isn't exactly NASA so I bet that they would read it. If you're persistent, you'll get something. Honestly the thing with most weird jobs is that all you have to do is ask.

>don't have to worry about getting eaten alive.

boy, you're in for a surprise.

Joke aside, I think OP has no idea what he is getting himself into.

>tired of the US and all its BS esspecially with materialism and normies
What do you expect the people down there do all day? I'll tell you: Drinking and fucking, because there is nothing else to do other that and working.

>Alaska does sound interesting with gold nuggets, yukon, bald eagles and crab, but its full of white trash and rampant alcoholism.

It sounds more like you have a romantic vision of what such life requires. More to the point and based on what you've been saying, there might not exist a group of folks who'd want to live in close quarters with you. Get past that hurdle, first. Cooperation and teamwork come first.

go there to do a technician job like storage management or some bullshit, it's way easier than going as a scientist doing actual research

Well seeing how I rarely drink I dont think i'll be doing too much of that.

I don't think Ill be getting laid seeing how socially inept I am, I'm 21 and still a kissless and friendless virgin.

Id rather go as a scientest though, I think getting a degree in geology is my best bet for now.

Ok, do you know the difference between being a tourist and being a researcher?

you're welcome

lockheedmartin.com/us/products/antarctic-support-contract/jobs-in-antarctica/visit-partners.html

I wouldn't go to Antarctica if you don't just how cold it can actually get. Know if you can handle the cold there first. I might be used to Texas heat but that doesn't mean I can handle the 120 degree heat in Saudi Arabia

youre gonna be wrapped up in a coat and multiple layers, not really sure why the temperature matters

Wait till you start sweating and your sweat freezes and you die of hypothermia.

I know you have to take a piss bottle with you on certain expeditions to prevent polluting the environment

It's hard to go and very competitive. Guys with Bachelor degrees and higher apply for cleaning or cooking jobs to hopefully get the first trip under their belt.

r/Antarctica has tons of info full of people who have worked there multiple times