Veeky Forums What's your favorite healthy and cheap dish?

When money's tight, what food do you make to float till the next paycheck?

Other urls found in this thread:

troisfoisparjour.com/fr/recettes/lunchs-salades/salade-de-riz-mexicaine
troisfoisparjour.com/en/web/trois-fois-par-jour/recettes/lunch-salads/salade-de-riz-mexicaine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

oats and milk

mcdonalds dollar sandwiches

Pasta is cheap as fuck if you don't put mince/meat into it.

Also a loaf of bread. 40 cents and that shit lasts you a week.

Marmite Toast with a Lemon Twist

i can dig it

Oatmeal, chicken, baked sweet potatoes, pasta in marinara sauce, rice and beans, bean and rice burritos, and eggs with salsa.

canned beans/lentils/rice

Rice, potatoes, lentils, canned tomatoes/beans, pasta.

All cheap, can be mixed, can be cheaply spiced with dried spices or roasted onions or carrots or such. Or still pretty cheaply augmented with like a bit of cheese or other milk products.

I usually eat stuff like that even when the money isn't tight - but it's some of the cheapest foods around anyhow.

Soups, dhal/curry, pasta bakes... It depends how tight the budget is and how many days i need the food to last.
Make something using grains, fresh in season vegetables and less meat and you can eat pretty well for very little.

Barilla 12oz 66c
28 can tomatoes $2
onion, oil, garlic and seasonings.. lets say $1.33

Thats a maximum of $4, for 4 large portions or 6 regular portions and tastes heavenly

moros y crisitianos and mujadara

Cute Akitsushima my dude.

I usually make a soup

smoked sausage $6
onions $1
carrots $.50
celery $.50
lentils/beans $1.50
peppers $1
a bag of some kind of frozen veg $1
rice (cook separately) $1

So maybe $15 if you factor in the cost of some spices and oil. This is enough for me to eat for 3-4 days while only eating this. It'll last longer if you're small or aren't very active. You could probably shave $3 off of this by using chicken instead of sausage.

Yup. Its Aathor is Yasume Yukito (pixiv 9096663).

Hardboiled eggs and apples

>fiber
>carbs
>fat
>bit of protein
yeah, fpbp

this
troisfoisparjour.com/fr/recettes/lunchs-salades/salade-de-riz-mexicaine
cheap, vegetarian, and it makes enough food for several days' meals worth
pretty tasty too

If only I spoke French. Looks simple enough though, and I was able to piece together some of the ingredients from that and root words.

Oh wait, that's right! Internet browsers have a translate function! It didn't work super great, but I know what all the ingredients are. Gotta say, I've never seen peanuts in Mexican dishes before, but maybe the Frogs are on to something.

Potatoe Soup.

I'd hesitate to call that healthy, but I guess it depends on how you make it. I'm used to the style of potato soup that uses a roux, plenty of heavy cream, and lots of butter.

Do the low kcal version without cream or shit:
Onions
Carrots
Potatos
Stock
Thats all you need, if you want it to be creamy just mash purree the potatos

Normally I'd get paid on the 3rd of every month but I wont be getting paid until the 6th because for some reason my bank thinks they work so hard they deserve the day before and after holidays off. I have a bag of rice to last me from now until then. Who counting quarters here?

That's not a bad idea, maybe a little low-fat sour cream could amp up the creaminess without adding too many calories.

my bad, its got a language tab on the top right
troisfoisparjour.com/en/web/trois-fois-par-jour/recettes/lunch-salads/salade-de-riz-mexicaine
might be better than the google translate

Thanks, that is a lot more clear than Google translate. I'm just an American and I know this recipe isn't trying to be authentic, but one thing I have noticed about almost all the Mexican food I've had is that they like to cook their rice in chicken stock with a little cumin, diced tomato, and butter added in while it cooks. They also tend to use black beans or pinto beans more often than kidney beans, but I have no idea how common those are in France. Overall though, sounds like a pretty decent meal!

>till the next paycheck?

Pasta. Vegetables. Eggs.

I like to buy dry goods in bulk so I have something to live on when money's tight. Rice and lentils are my go-to cheap meals. Live biking distance from a decent grocer so I'll pick up some produce to improve them, mostly green onions and carrots.

Where are you getting a 40 cent loaf of bread? The absolute cheapest I ever see is $1.

Chicken leg quarters and broccoli. Plus rice if im bulkiing

idk i imagine common enough, im actually from quebec though and we have easy access to all of those ingredients

Beans and pasta
Beans and rice
Beans and flatbreads

probably frozen loafs

You need to bake it yourself

Cut the fucking cream out. It's expensive, and it's not healthy for you.

too-poor-for-chicken tier poverty?

fried cabbage over rice, side:semisweet pickled beetroot (mostly for the brine though) side: shredded carrot, oil and chili powder
kraut and raw onion with fried potatoes
split pea and fried onion soup
more fucking cabbage, in potato soup, with some fried vegs for the taste, go forage for nettles maybe
cheapo flour skillet flatbreadlets
black tea with sugar for the brains who would shut down if put on this "diet" suddenly

Chicken stock and lentils.

Fruit. Fresh ripe fruit is hands down the cheapest and healthiest option anywhere in the world that is not frozen.

Lentils and rice and large amounts of water

I used to get payed monthly, so there would be a significant portion of the month where I would be buying shit with change or bottle returns.
Eggs and toast are cheap and filling
Rice, if flavored right can be OK
Can't go wrong with bean soup and a box of jiffy cornbread,either
(All under 2$ USD)

Quinoa, black beans, onion, garlic, over a bed of rice, and topped with soy sauce, or with a few spices like turmeric and cumin.

Potatoes

lentil soup
protien, carbs, and fat in one bowl. last all week.

You can spend around 10-15 bucks on beans and vegetables and make a massive pot of veggie chili to last you a week. For just getting by at least it's a healthy balance or whatever the fuck.

>even cheaper if you have your own garden

>1 pound of ground beef
>1 can of baked beans
>1 can of corn
>Mustard to taste

A staple of my childhood, carried over into my adult life.

Perhaps use greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I've never tried it as a substitute, but I've heard some people swear by it.

Bibimbap (Korean mixed rice)

mm yep , cheap zuchini carrot rice, some other veges whatever you want with 1 egg and its low oil and tastee!

Whatever-soups are pretty cheap. Made one last night with veggies that were starting to turn.

Blended up some Roma tomatoes
Little water
Carrot
Purple onion
Celery
Shredded cabbage
Zucchini
Rotini pasta
Two bouillon cubes
Season with whatever

Cheap and healthy.

In the U.K. you can get a loaf of bread for 45p at Tesco's.