Are women inferior writers? Does the gender of the author influence your decision to read a book?

Are women inferior writers? Does the gender of the author influence your decision to read a book?

Other urls found in this thread:

returnofkings.com/60508/three-reasons-why-most-female-writers-are-garbage
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you proud of your bullshit-thread, now that you've posted it?

I stand behind it. I'm genuinely interested.

t. Woman

Most writers are shit and deserve to starve in the gutter. Male and female alike.

Writers are disposable. More great literature has been written than can possibly be read in a lifetime.

Most of the best literary works have been written by white males but there are a few females, Latin Americans and Japs who are worth reading

Disregard blacks and jungle Asians.

I exclusively read male authors, but it's unintended.

>Does the gender of the author influence your decision to read a book?

Damn right it does, faggot.

I like a few woman authors like Flannery O'Connor but ultimately I feel like they don't tackle metaphysical or existential themes enough. I like authors who are trying to figure out how to be in the world at all, not just how to be in society or how society should be. It's the same reason I like German lit more than Russian lit, at least the majority of the time.

Women seem mostly concerned with the social level. When they do have mystical feelings or idealistic yearnings they are cool though. But that's a small set of crazy sadfu Catholic bitches.

Also in general there are simply far fewer female geniuses, in any craft. So there are fewer to pick from.

Women are not inferior in any way, they just have a different sensibility. They're also usually underrated to the point that they remain obscure. But reading them could teach you a lot.

garbage thread, next

Yes, which is ironic because the language centers of their brain are larger

This tbqh

Are you a woman by any chance?

>all the nu-males who have to go "fuck this thread.. piece of shit thread. fucking virgins" just to show the Great Cosmic Vagina that they had the correctthink opinion about vaginaslander

fucking misogynists.. fucking pathetic pieces of shit.. fuck you losers..

naw

Gaspara Stampa
Emily Dickinson
George Sand
Mary Mitford
Grazia Deledda
Elsa Morante
Agota Kristof
Ingeborg Bachmann
Anne Frank
Alda Merini
Oriana Fallaci
Sylvia Plath

check them out, idiot

>tfw you realise that your misogyny was actually defense mechanism because you wanted to be a woman all along but weren't able to admit it even to yourself

I think you should just take some dick in the ass

returnofkings.com/60508/three-reasons-why-most-female-writers-are-garbage

You can't "be a woman." If you "want other people to perceive you as a woman" you are actually delusional because you think you are "how you are perceived."

Likewise you are delusional if you think you are "a man," but that is a separate delusion entirely

>Anne Frank
>writer

NAZI, NAZI, YOU'RE A NAAAAAAAZI

Maybe a day will come when women have something to write about other than being a woman. Until then, they'll always be a step behind.

So e.g. Toni Morrison writes only about "being a woman"? I believe you're baiting

I realize I'm not likely to find much love for Toni here but nigga, seriously, come on. Have you actually read anything by a female writer?

She's even worse. She's a black author writing about being black.

If the book relates to gender, sexuality or femininity from a woman's perspective, I tend to avoid it because I'm not interested in those things. If it's any other book that I would already be interested in then I don't mind the gender of the author.

It seems that by your logic Vonnegut, Faulkner, Pynchon, etc. are just white authors writing about being white.

I don't like them when they're bad but I prefer them when they're good.
genuinely great female writers tend to be less self-indulgent and flourishy, while also being more insightful and humble.
with guys it's always a pissing contest. even when it's good, the work is tainted with a braggadocio that female writers dont have.
Ulysses is a good extreme example

I don't know, man. Have they written books about being a small white boy who wants to have fat nigger lips?

>Does the gender of the author influence your decision to read a book?
To a small degree, yes. I try to keep track of what kind of authors I've been reading and if it gets very homogeneous, I try to consciously add someone different to my reading list.

So most of the time this means that I occasionally consciously pick a female or PoC or non-western author to read next, as most of the time I end up reading white western males if I pay no attention to my choices.

I ended up reading Toni Morrison, for example, due to this policy, and boy she is great.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now writing about being black somehow consists in writing about wanting to be white? Nice racist projection machine you've got friendo

She writes about little black girls wanting to "be white" to show how silly the concept is. It's also relevant because the "black-white as fair-foul" dichotomy persists to this day, as you have amply demonstrated

Just to pick this post up:

Gaspara Stampa
>wrote about love, but exactly as Petrarch did. why letting him go and not her?
Emily Dickinson
>wrote about nature
George Sand
>wrote about politics, twins condition, her characters were males
Mary Mitford
>wrote about villages in the 19th century
Grazia Deledda
>wrote about sin and guilt, religion and patriarchal society
Elsa Morante
>wrote about History and male homosexuality
Agota Kristof
>wrote about WWII, twins condition, the Berlin wall
Ingeborg Bachmann
>no matter what she wrote about, she was a poet and poets always talk about themselves
Anne Frank
>wrote about everything but being a woman
Alda Merini
>wrote about sorrow, poverty, fate
Oriana Fallaci
>wrote about the Islamic world, immigration, terrorism, family values
Sylvia Plath
>wrote about being a woman... well, she did it right

P.S. kill yourself

Veeky Forums really doesn't read. Virginia Woolf is as great as any male writer

god her prose skills are insane. i would do so much degrading shit to have rhythm like that chick, not even the full skill set.

>Disregard blacks and jungle Asians.
What about Ralph Ellison, Langston Hughes, and Zora Neale Hurston (among others)?

yes and yes. done.