Can someone explain why solar and lunar eclipses are so perfect?

Can someone explain why solar and lunar eclipses are so perfect?

Isn't a bit of a coincidence that the moon is the exact distance between Earth and Sun to create such an effect and block the Sun completely?

Not trying to be supernatural here. Happy to have any significance debunked with Physics that I do not understand

In case you can't tell, my IQ is sub 100

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Types
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Solar_eclipse_set_2022-2025
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Actually total eclipses only happen every few years. Most eclipses will only be partial eclipses. This is actually because of a "lack" of exactness, if the moon's orbit was completely circular, and if it was a little closer to earth, and in the same orbital plane (It's actually titled by about 5 degrees) as the earth to the sun, we would have total eclipses every single month.

>Can someone explain why solar and lunar eclipses are so perfect?
They really aren't. They don't happen that often, and when they do, you are lucky if it goes total.

Also, the moon is slowly orbiting away from the earth which means that total eclipses will slowly become rarer over time.

>Isn't a bit of a coincidence that the moon is the exact distance between Earth and Sun to create such an effect and block the Sun completely?

Yes, it is. But it was not always that way, and it will not always be that way, which makes it all the more amazing. This guy knows:

Its only perfect in specific areas on the planet. The entire planet is not going black. You see the sun rays coming out on the edges of eclipse in that picture? Well, those rays hitting the earth somewhere else. There is darkness only under the shadow, the sun can still be seen in other places during this time.The moons shadow will only block something like 70% of the suns light. The other 30% will still see daylight. (Idk the exact percent) For example, If you hold a basketball in front of the sun there will be an eclipse (shadow) somewhere on the ground. Other parts of the ground will still be light. Now if you move the basketball those parts that were light will now be dark. Thats esentially what the moon will be doing. The takeaway is that the moon is not big enough to eclipse the entire daylight side of earth at once. The total eclipse (your picture) will only be seen in select areas.

Make the moon THICC again.

Not all eclipses are perfect. Sometimes the moon is a little too far away and you get an annular eclipse. Also, sometimes the totality spot is beyond the poles and you can only see a partial eclipse from the ground.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Types

here's going to be an annular eclipse in 2023 over North America. (And a total eclipse in 2024. Their paths intersect over central Texas, which is good because I'm already there.)

And it really is cool that the moon is at just the right distance at this point in history.

I'm making plans to go to Idaho to see the totality
I live in Arizona
How stupid is this idea on a scale of 1 to pretty stupid?

I say to enjoy it since the moon is steadily moving away from earth so in about 500 million years there will be a final total solar eclipse. You will be able to experience something that future man never will

The moon will start coming back towards earth. Once it reaches a certain distance away from earth.

It's a good idea. I'm driving from Houston to Kansas just to see it. I've been wanting to see an eclipse since I was a boy and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get emotional when it happens. I saw a partial (not even a good one, like 20% coverage) a couple of years ago and it made me feel something. I'm stressed as fuck about the weather though. Luckily there will be another one in a few years, so I'll probably get another shot.

Why would it do that?

>tfw live in Kansas City
>tfw only have to drive about an hour north to get in the path of the total eclipse
>tfw protective glasses arrived today

Drag from pulling on the earth.

Worth it to not live in Kansas City.

That's total bro science. The moon moves a few inches further away every year. In billions of years it will fully escape Earth's gravity and float away.

>Isn't a bit of a coincidence that the moon is the exact distance between Earth and Sun to create such an effect and block the Sun completely?
Yes, which is why they happen extremely rarely

In billions of years the earth will be engulfed by the sun along with the moon

>Houston
Enjoy this one, then wait for one to (almost) come to you...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Solar_eclipse_set_2022-2025
October 2023 annular
April 2024 total

>the scalpers already hit
>every hotel along the eclipse path completely booked
>these fucking prices for paper glasses
Oy vey

should have just got them from NASA a month ago for $10 and a free T-Shirt

I'm a pleb and didn't follow closely enough I guess. Didn't think normies would swarm in masse for this shit.

I'm driving from Phoenix to Casper. Idaho and Wyoming are our closest bets. And from the look of it, the best chance of clear weather.

>traveling hours each way for a three minute event
pretty goddamn stupid

First time in 38 years.

I gotta pay da rent somehow go- er guy!

the expanding sun should push the earth and other further out planets to larger orbits.

the earth may not be swallowed by the sun. instead it will just be what Mercury is now.

I bought a $15 6 pack of plastic glasses a month ago and I just got an email from amazon today saying the filters in them aren't confirmed to be from a "recommended manufacturer" and I shouldn't use them. I've already used them to view the sun several times and they seem to work fine. No eye pain or afterimages/blindness. What should I do? I've literally looked at the sun with them through binoculars for a minute straight and it was fine (I could see sunspots!). If they were actually defective my eyes would be fucked by now wouldn't they?

Heh. Sounds like somebody doesn't have a ride.

I received the same email from amazon, I think the issue isn't so much that the viewers are not safe as the company was unable to prove certification. If the only thing you can see through them is the sun then you should be good.

Cool. That's sort of what I figured. I'm pretty positive mine are safe considering I haven't gone blind yet. I read a bit about the fake ones online and apparently they are significantly different than the real ones to the point where it's obvious (although they didn't say what made them obviously different). I read as long as the sun looks like an orange dot on a black background through them it should be fine.

>solar and lunar eclipses are so perfect
wat

These anons are science douches. It is perfect. Anyone with their eyes can see it is.

Real question. How do it go West to East?

pic related. We all know this is the only answer.

JUST BUILD A PINHOLE BOX

>completely
It doesn't. We can still see the sun's corona. Just look at the white part of that picture you're posting.