Question, is Dostoyevsky a meme author or not...

Question, is Dostoyevsky a meme author or not? I just finished "Demons" and really enjoyed but am not sure if I'm retarded for liking it. It won't really change my opinion of it but I don't want to talk to my Veeky Forums friend in real life about it if it's shit tier. Could anybody recommend any other authors I might like?

Anyone who says he's not a good writer is either:

1) A pseud faggot who has no friends
2) Retarded because no MUH GUN FIGHTS

He's good... goddammit, you fucking bitch-ass mafuckas.

Jesus, what is is wrong with you?

Oh yes OP Dosto is indeed a meme author hehe

I didn't proofread my post very well. Was there something else you meant? What the fuck is with that picture? It looks like a leukemia patient getting dicked down.

I can't take you serious if you post a response with a funny pepe

>Dosto
>meme

How old are you?

22. Listen I don't really get on any board regularly besides /pol/ I am not hip to all this boards particular shitposting. I feel like this wasn't a bad question, I just didn't want to sound like an idiot to people who actually kind of matter to me.

Don't you think, a person who formed an opinion and asked a group of anonymous people to debunk it is an idiot?

I didn't form an opinion I asked a question, if he's meme tier then I won't talk to this particular friend about it. How does that make me stupid?

Nevermind.

This entire post is highly odd. You say you liked Demons, which is one of Dosto's more intellectually based books that many who liked his other works would still find boring, yet you still call yourself retarded for liking it? It is most definitely not shit-tier and Dostoevsky has never and will never be a meme author. Do talk to your Veeky Forums friend about it and also read Dosto's other fiction.

Pynchon is meme tier and Camus is a meme, maybe, possibly, but that surely doesn't prevent people from saying GR and The Stranger are their favorite books and what is considered a "meme" should in no way influence your own opinion until you've read the books yourself.

That said if you like Dosto you may also like Herman Hesse and Franz Kafka. It's also worth checking out other Russian authors like Gogol

If you can explain to me what I'm doing that is wrong I'll quit doing it but I'm doing it unknowingly so I need some help. I'm really not trying to fuck up your board just asking 1 Is he a meme and 2 (regardless of the other answer to the former question) are there any authors you would recommend if someone did like the book?

Sometimes I wonder how anons from Veeky Forums can be so naive and pay attention to such an obvious bait.

THANK YOU! I really don't want to be a bitch but I want to point out that I wasn't calling myself retarded for liking it I was asking if it made me sound retarded to praise it. I worded it weird though so I understand why you wrote that. I would also like to point out that I stated it wouldn't have changed my opinion on it but that I just wouldn't have brought it up to him in conversation.

This wasn't bait I just never get on this board. Quite frankly only one person has been helpful so far so I doubt I'll be rushing back so no need to worry about it.

Regardless of the matter that whether this entire post is bait or ironic or what I'll respond to it in an off chance that I actually get to help someone into literature. You should be aware that with such a board like Veeky Forums the only true people or intellectuals or whatever you might call them who want to read spend their time, well, reading, instead of going on such an inconsequential and anonymous website like Veeky Forums. Therefore the board is inevitably congested with awful posts and topics by those who don't read and no one can tell who's baiting who, this post and reply included.

/pol/ itself has an awful reputation on here but is definitely not single-handedly responsible for the political threads on Veeky Forums when most of the time they have no place here. But even so, buried within the shit there are sometimes great, and more importantly, varied political readings far beyond what you'll usually find in /pol/ and its infamous reputation of being an echo-chamber. Use it as a stepping stone and gateway for recommendations and nothing more

>is Dostoyevsky a meme author or not?
No he isnt a meme author

>Could anybody recommend any other authors I might like?
Thats not easy to do user, because I dont know what you are interested in. If you enjoyed Dostoyevsky then I would recommend reading some of his other books, then give Tolstoy a try. Give the greeks a try, start with the illiad and then the odyssey. Try Carl Jung if you are interested in psychology and religion. Try Nietzsche for philosophy. Try some Ralph Waldo Emerson essays. The more you read, the more you know what you want to read.

>being this desperate for validation

Hey Veeky Forums, if I wanna read the Brothers Karamazov but am too lazy to learn Russian, which translation do you recommend

>"It won't change my opinion of it"

Yeah that just reeks of someone seeking validation.

>many who liked his other works would still find boring
It's the opposite for me. Demons was very smart, entertaining, and funny while Brothers K was a sanctimonious bore. Your Kafka recommendation is a good follow up though.

If he liked Demons he won't like Tolstoy. If you want another Russian then Bulgakov is better.

Thanks. It's weird you mentioned Emerson I actually have a his works and haven't read them in a while. Self Reliance and Circles were my favorites by him.

God this chart lovers kids think everything is black or white and that there are golden rules for lit taste. Why the fuck can you affirm that he won't like Tolstoy you retarded piece of shit? I like Demons AND TOLSTOY AND I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. NOW I'M MAD.

It's called an opinion you fucking autist. It's based on my experience reading Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. I don't like Dosto's more religious works and I see parallels in Tolstoy who I don't like for similar reasons. Demons was cynical Dostoevsky and very different from Tolstoy.

well, I would most definitely have way more respect for somebody forming their own opinions instead of asking for them on Veeky Forums

that said, Dostoyevsky's great, among the best of russian authors, who in my opinion are the best you can find. The others already suggested the old russians, so you may also try the new one - Viktor Pielewin. Very druggish, very crazy, but the russian spirit is strong with him

It's weird you said that because I bought Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and Dostoyevsky's "Demons" at the same time. I hope you're right and I do like both.

You were making a statement, not giving your opinion.

For fuck's sake what part of "won't really change my opinion" can you people not understand? I just wanted to know if it would be boring if I spoke about it to someone who was well versed in literature.

we understand perfectly, dear. In fact we understand that beyond this mask is in fact some trembling, low self-esteem, scared of living own life rather than somebody else's

so don't give us this shit. You ask for opinion, because you need an opinion, not because you don'tcare about it

Kek you are a fagget. You're right, because I don't want to put air in the conversation I'm "trembling with low self esteem." I didn't ask for a fucking review of the book you dipshit I just wanted a general consensus on whether the author was viewed as a genuinely good author or a fuck nut who is overhyped like Camus or Nietzsche or you. You caught me

no probs bro, I catch pokemon like you on daily basis
'tis pleasure

I wish I was flexible enough to put my head that far up my ass. Neck yourself.

oh, that's so right. I'm michael jordan of putting my head up your ass

also, you're an aspie

First off.

Abandon this "meme" mentality.

I'm serious.

tfw you realize Ivan's oration before The Grand Inquisitor inspired many great writers

Does this board sincerely thinks that Nietzsche is overrated in the slightest?

If you like it why would you care what your friend thinks?

If you think it is good you should be a proponent of it's merits - not wait for sanction from some nebulous council of orthodoxy.

Grow some balls you sissy.

What's the best English translation of Demons?

>you fucking bitch-ass mafuckas
what are you, 13?

This is one of those trolls that are so shit it doesn't make anyone mad, it just brings the rest of the community together.

I can't even picture OP giggling at the responses to his thread, and his refusal to break character or just stop posting and regroup to come up with a better troll is troubling.

It comes across as just as spineless, misguided and desperate for validation as the character he is attempting to portray except without the redemption of "only pretending to be retarded".

I'm sure even writing this will give you the opportunity for some mental gymnastics where you could say "this was the response I was after in the first place!", but seriously man, you're not good at this.

if I was to start reading Dostoyevsky, where would be a good place to start?

Brothers Karamazov interests me so I was thinking of reading that.

I started with The Gambler which was fine for me. I think most Anons started with Notes from the Underground.
You shouldn't start with a long book such as the Brothers.

I started with c and p then went on to bk

Crime and Punishment is a good book to start with. It's not as long as Super Karamazov Brothers but it has more substance than his novellas.

I think it's a good middleground.

Well length isn't an issue for me but I'll have a look at some of his other books. It did feel wrong jumping in at his last one.

Ah of course, I'd actually forgotten he wrote that.

peaver-volokhonsky

isn't that supposed to be the worst?

Notes>C&P>The Idiot or Demons>Karamazov Bros.

The rest are for hardcores only.

I think Avsey is regarded as the best, but I've read p-v's translation and it's fine.

You'll like his book The Idiot, OP. It's about you.

Seriously though, Dostoevsky is a great author and if you're currently enjoying him, you're in good hands.

Avsey was what I had been recommended. Good to know P&V isn't shit though.

Says the fag posting Blacked crops

>I don't really get on any board regularly besides /pol/

Alright so here's the meme writers you're likely to sperg about:
>Green
>Orwell
>Huxley too
>Kafka
>Vonnegut
>Murakami
>Chomsky (okay you're not likely to meme about him)
>Nabokov
>Dawkins
>that Watchmen faggot with the beard

You guys like his short stories too?

'I liked a book but I'm not gonna admit it until internet tell me that is ok'

Whose authority are you looking to validate you, here, user? You don't need a bunch of anonymous people on a Mongolian mustache maintenance forum to decide if you're a pleb or not.

Try to look up the opinions of people you respect and see what they thought about the book. This isn't necessarily so you absorb their opinions but rather to see what perspectives they bring and if they influence your interpretation at all. Then use this knowledge to give more shape to your opinion and make it more articulate.

If you can put "Demons" in its context, connect it to our larger world, and make your own criticisms of its worth or merit, you need not fear that your friend will think you a pleb. If you do all these things and your friend still calls you a pleb, they've proven themselves a pleb because they'd rather judge people on taste than sincerity of thought. A lot of people on lit do this too and it really just disadvantages the conversation. "You didn't agree with Neitzche? Pleb." "You like Dickens? Brainlet."

For what it's worth I thought Demons was good but C+P is Dosto's masterpiece. Good luck out there in the wild world, friend.