What does Veeky Forums think of paranormal phenomena?

What does Veeky Forums think of paranormal phenomena?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1Snck4fMP_A?t=83
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All of them, without exception, are 100% real.

Paranormal doesn't exist by definition.

It's like "alternative medicine," if it was real it would just be called "normal."

Exactly. If something exists it's normal, even if somewhat unusual. If it's "paranormal", it doesn't exist. It's exactly how "alternative medicine" works: it doesn't, otherwise we'd call it simply medicine.

You were faster.

I was talking about the /x/ stuff. Aliens, UFOs, crop circles, ghosts and that kind of stuff

There is this totally legit documentary on netflix called "Extraordinary: The Stan Romanek Story" where he shows 100% not fake video of an alien peeking in his window. youtu.be/1Snck4fMP_A?t=83

Either it's something we have yet to discover or it's something that can already be explained in terms that will demystify it.

Yep. I'm totally convinced now. Couldn't have been faked.

Magic is terrifyingly real and consciousness is a field.

CIA documentation revealed that remote viewing generates detectable photons at the target viewing locations, which indicates that human consciousness is capable of interacting with the electromagnetic fields at a distance, which indicates that consciousness and thoughts are capable of interactions at a distance with the electric and magnetic fields, which shows to me that consciousness itself is a field.

This leads me to the understanding that all magical effects are achievable using consciousness-based mental constructs and that humans are all stupid wizards.

>CIA documentation revealed that remote viewing generates detectable photons at the target viewing locations
Where the hell are you getting that from? Do you know how easy it would be to test something like that? Information about it would be everywhere by now.

That was on the CIA's actual website as part of their big infodump some months ago. They released a ton of documenation about their stargate project and about a bunch of other paranormal research that they'd done.

CIA's been up to some seriously weird shit, man.

>whole family believes in everything /x/
>telekinesis
>ayylmaos
>ghosts
>never get any photos
>no evidence of any kind
>mfw
>The Stargate Project was terminated and declassified in 1995 after a CIA report concluded that it was never useful in any intelligence operation.
Psyplanes didn't work so they built spyplanes instead.

it's your family also paranoid? do they lack reasoning skill?
serious questions, no trolling intended

There are no paranormal phenomena.
There is only normal phenomena that we do not yet understand.
Conspiracies exist though. But only political ones, that very much is a normal phenomena.

However when it comes to the supernatural. Claims are very much characterised by people of a certain personality type. Claims of alien abduction present often conflicting claims with contradictions. Most often they have no physical evidence past anecdotal evidence and it is quite often the presented as package deal with a selection of other biases, such as the existence of gods and devils, which are taken on faith, but not evidence.

Lastly, the most important and telling factor for me personally. Is that a claim of abduction only effects a few people a year, whereas other phenomena such as political conspiracies effect hundreds or even millions of people a year. So personally i invest my time in those more than the singular occurrences of abduction claims. However, you might be saying to yourself by now, what if the abductions are still true and are the forerunner to some kind of bigger event like an invasion. Well i reiterate, i still think it a better collected use of my time to deal with the present day problems which effect more people, rather than future problems. I only have so much time to spend on this subject.

Any digital media can be faked.

Why did you turn off your scepticism software so quick?

When we assess evidence properly we do more than simply ask: "Well does he have a home video of it?" Yes "oh well thats a score of 100 on the credibility scale, no reason to look into it further."

Theres more evidence presented in the completely bogus science of magnet perpetual motion machines than this source your presenting.

Your on Veeky Forums now bitch.

Scientific method is:
1.) Observation
2.) Hypothesis
3.) Null Hypothesis
4.) Theory
5.) Prediction
6.) Testing (very important)
7.) Conclusion
8.) Re-evaluation (and also repeatable testing.)

What you have stated in your post. Is simply a hypothesis, and an alleged observation. But you have not presented testing nore repeatable testing. You have also said that because it is the alleged CIA, that this is a reliable authority. This is only an appeal to authority fallacy. Again, you need to have testing or a full scientific report on someone elses testing.

The stuff you said about consciousness being a field. That is basing a theory up ontop of another theory. This should not be done until evidence has been attained.

Most importantly there has been no theory or hypothesis or prediction for how this mechanism of controlling or transporting photons would occur.

Lastly: You are believing in consciousness-based mental constructs not because of evidence, as ive explained above. But because you WANT to. This is simply a lack of self discipline and very close to a conformation bias. If we all belived what we wanted, we could belive that cake would fall from the sky, but we would still go hungry.

Some of them are paranoid yes. Mostly they can reason but are committed to their beliefs so eg. they use their reason to explain why you can't photograph ghosts.

And paranormal represents things which people believe in but haven't been scientifically verified. I'm not sure those people would hold they could never be quantified and studied. So this is a pointless argument that does absolutely nothing.

/sci
>think

You could say these are controversial phenomena. Sometimes controversial phenomena have turned out to be true, like the sound of northern lights, or ball lightning.

Though I think if you call something paranormal, you've immediately framed it and yourself as not really worth listening to. There's just so much make-believe and I-want-to-believe going around. People hunger for mysteries and are tremendously bad at inference.