Opinion on Slovenian food? Have you tried it? Do you like it?

Opinion on Slovenian food? Have you tried it? Do you like it?

I dig the bread but I haven't tried anything else.

Its only redeeming qualities are žganci and ričet. It has no distinct identity aside from one-pot meals such as stews and soups.

Not to say that it isn't good, but it's just really simple to the point of it being "generic", I'd say. It's best described as local peasant food.

i cant think of a single Slovenian food. from that image nothing looks unique to Slovenia i think

Buckwheat žganci are generally accepted as unique, google it for images, its basically boiled flour eaten with milk and bits of fried lard, ocvirki.

>Have you tried it?
no

>Do you like it?
no

funny that slovenia.si is the top result. I'll make it sometime. your national day is also my birthday, cool

Is that blood sausage in wheel form?

nice

That looks like a pork stomach. It's dried meat, like sausages but it has a stronger smell. Pretty good, but takes fucklong to prepare.

A quick disclaimer about it, it's really, really grainy and "rough", with a really strong, unique taste. I really recommend eating it with milk, the fried lard is optional, but both make it more enjoyable.

No lmao ive never had slovenian food. Also never had food from bhutan, swaziand, el salvador and all the other countries that literally do not exist to anyone living outside of them

>Slovenia
>Not going to Slovakia instead and getting bryndzove halusky

what's an easy slovenian dish i can make?

I'm going to be honest with you OP, until I just Googled "Slovenia" a few moments ago, I had no idea this country even existed. Yes, I am American. The food looks a lot like what I've come to expect from Eastern European countries though, so it's probably pretty good.

I'm looking for the culinary equivalent of pic related

Slovenian food is the same as Croatian food from Zagorje. Žganci, ričet, štruklji, bučnica...

bump

Probably the closest thing is congealed pigs blood, its a bread spread that's supposedly ok. Never ate it, but have the recepie somewhere.

Like above, žganci. Literally boiled flour, almost impossible to fuck up.
Otherwise 99% of the good slovenian food are stews and soups, so you'll need to commit a bit more to get to the good stuff.

It's different from part to part. East is italian related food, mainly fish, škarpena is my favourite, and jota, a kind of minestrone. You also have kras prosciutto there too. The central and northern are german influences with sausages and other dried meats. In the northeastern part it's a heavy mix of hungarian and slovene cuisine, it's probably the most distinct in the country.

All in all it's more of a multicultural cuisine hotpot than a generic eastern europoor country.

Shieet, so we're not even that special. I'm slightly away, but can you like tell me where Zagorje is, cause my knowledge of Croatia is limited.
Otherwise I'm not even that surprised that even the few things we should have are generic to the balkans.

>I had no idea this country even existed. Yes, I am American.
fyi the first lady is slovenian

>but can you like tell me where Zagorje is, cause my knowledge of Croatia is limited.
Yeah, it's on border with Slovenia, right next to Rogaška Slatina. I can get to Slovenia in less than thirty minutes with a car.

I don't want to bring politics into this, but I was also completely unaware of this.

I see, well i guess it's better to call it a more regional cuisine than a national one. Especially since the whole "dežela" partition was a thing during KuK, there's no pure universal slovenian dish...

Medica, or mead maybe? I was always confused about the definition. Do croats also make it with mixing honey into schnapps?
Or do you ferment the honey to get that disgusting 15%-20% piss all the wannabe "le skyrim nords xDDD" cream themselves about?

>el salvador
>he hasn't eaten the pupusa

Yes, we have medica, rakija made out of honey, but we also have the "le skyrim nords xDDD" crap, medovina or gverc, which is honey wine, it's gross, especially the non-alcoholic type.

Interesting, we usually just distill fallen kaki into šnopc, then mix it with honey and let it rest for a year or so.

Do you do the same, or is media really just honey distilled into rakija?

Yeah, it's the same procedure, all the stuff that stays from making the wine is distilled, like making normal grape rakija, only with honey added.