Why don't they just concentrate a lot of sun rays in one spot using mirrors and use the heat to desalinize ocean water?

Why don't they just concentrate a lot of sun rays in one spot using mirrors and use the heat to desalinize ocean water?

Why is that not a thing?

what kind of impact does long term ops pic have? if you are constantly increasing the salt and mineral content of local ecosystems and eventually the whole system, wont this have a large impact on oceanic life

Won't the salt just get carried away by the waves?

Or you could put it in a drone ship and send it out to distribute it evenly in the ocean.

Or you could sell some of it for consumption.

the specific heat of water is really high, plus i dont know if it absorbs infrared

How the fuck would salt magically fall from the water? That's retarded.

You could distill water, but that takes a fuck ton of heat and produces water that drains your minerals right outa you. Reverse Osmosis is patrician,/

Except it doesn't work in a industrial scale. Nuclear desalination is where it is at. As a plus you get a net energy output.

>How the fuck would salt magically fall from the water?

Water evaporates leaving the minerals behind.
Once the batch is done you open a trapdoor and the salt falls into the water or container.
Then you pump more water in for the next batch.

>but that takes a fuck ton of heat

Sun rays make water boil if you haven't noticed.

>produces water that drains your minerals right outa you

Then you put minerals in the water so people can drink it.

Yes, salinity greatly affects marine life as most sea life is osmo-conforming. Local disturbance will effect patch dynamics and aswell as hydrophysical dynamics both resulting in cascading disturbances. This is particularly dangerous as marine biodiversity is plummeting due to warming and overexplotation, this is especially dangerous for plankton.
The physical structures will also be population sinks for pelagic life(much like fish agitating devices) this would lead to the same problems with ecosystem dynamics.
It's a pretty dumb idea, we should just protect and restore terristrial forests and riparian systems, scrap industrial agriculture, and work hard to bring our ecological impact to sustainable levels. The ocean and life on earth in general are already stressed enough and collapsing as is.

Nuclear desalination is also an ecological disaster, it's just dumping absurd amounts of heat directly into the ocean.
Fucking retarded, corporations shouldn't be allowed to own engineers and engineers shouldn't be allowed to have autonomy anymore. One disaster after another.

>It's a pretty dumb idea, we should just protect and restore terristrial forests and riparian systems, scrap industrial agriculture, and work hard to bring our ecological impact to sustainable levels. The ocean and life on earth in general are already stressed enough and collapsing as is.
Or, hear this, we could, wait for it.... SELL THE SALT. You know, people buy those.

Still, it creates more problems than it solves. The fuel it would take for this operation, the many ecological effects unrelated to salt.
Also it doesn't really fix anything, we need earth systems engineering and management to solve our problems

Actually I'll just say it, earth systems engineering won't save us. Only deep ecology can, or the very least widespread ecological literacy(would result in deep ecology).

>"I am sorry son, we don't have water today. It would be bad to dump the nuclear waste deep underground in the desert where no one would ever find it for the rest of the life of the universe. Also the government thought the uranium is too valuable to be wasted like that, they decided instead that they would use it to solve the world overpopulation crisis by nuking our town"

Get the fuck out of here you dumb hippy.

But we're trash. How could we possibly do anything net correct, much less approaching a long term ideal? For any non-trivial window of time?

Nah. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Scathing critical objection you have there.

That isn't my objection. My objection is to the spatial ecological effects of the process aswell as that level of thermal pollution in marine ecosystems.
There are much better ways to secure our drinkable water. Move past industrial agriculture, properly manage household water consumption and take care to prevent shifting baselines in the ecological systems, climate and hydrology that we depend on to replinish our supply of fresh water.
Wake up and take the Luddite pill.

I think we are more than capable. Humans are inherently moral and capable of a high level of understanding. We have reached a level of sophistication in science and technology where we are more than capable of taking teleological control of our lives. The source of the trash is non-human agents(see:actor-network theory) we need radical change Is a must, but it is all possible

I do not share your disposition and believe my model is likely far more accurate. The present supports it, as does the course of history, again and again.

The human spirit is disgusting and biased towards cycles of decadence. Mankind's collective nature may only be a mad beast that destroys until it finally manages to destroy itself.

The salt is worth more than the water why the fuck are you dumping it you dumb fuck

>and believe my model is likely far more accurate
>The human spirit is disgusting and biased towards cycles of decadence
>Mankind's collective nature may only be a mad beast that destroys until it finally manages to destroy itself.

*tips fedora*

>The salt is worth more than the water

Isn't that because it's hard to get?
Like, you have to spend energy mining it.