People who think they know everything but can't even manage to be happy

>people who think they know everything but can't even manage to be happy

Knowlege and happiness are generally unrelated.

Oftentimes great knowledge brings about great sadness.

I know that he who knows everything cannot be happy

>thinks he saves the world by being depressed
way 2 go pal

>If men lack knowledge and desire, then clever people will not try to interfere.
>If nothing is done, then all will be well.
t. Laozi

this, le knowledge sadness is worth it meme needs to die

I was hoping somebody would post a Laozi quote. Thank you brother.

false. the human faculty for reason leads to this one pinnacle: "we must secure the existence of happiness and a future for white children."

>he thinks he wants to save the world

I just acquire knowledge for knowledge's sake.

Obligatory dumb frog poster

>knowledge for knowledge's sake
Read Faust dipshit

I've read it, I know my future yet I can't stop.

What a pretentious fucking statement.

You mean you read some books because you like reading and have nothing better to do, you're not going out and completing university courses simply so you can expand your knowledge of the fields.

Ecclesiastes 1:18

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

I'd rather have a (false) sense of superiority than happiness desu

it is because they didnt start with the greeks, friend

That's an odd goal, why would you prefer pride through self-deception to happiness?

Aren't you chasing happiness in your false sense of satisfaction though, ultimately? You can't want something because you don't want it, by definition you then do want it, and having it would bring you satisfaction.

>reads Iliad and Odyssey
>thinks he's now well versed in the Greeks

1 Cor. 1:19-21
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1 Cor. 3:18-20
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

Was Paul not wise?

Paul became a fool, and thus gained true wisdom.

>I'd rather have a (false) sense of superiority

>The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

What a surprise.

Knowledge won't bring you money, health or pussy.

no dude thats why we are that way , we know to much to act happy its a waist of energy we need for when shit hits the fan.

Nope, but at least reading can distract you from happiness.

you're not using it right. neither am i

It totally can bring you all three though.

>people who think they know everything, but didn't grow above six feet

Socrates was stupid, he should have not picked his poison.
:^)

I'd be happy as fuck if I could stop being a paranoid little faggot. Seriously considering medication.

>Aren't you chasing happiness in your false sense of satisfaction though, ultimately?

I'm choosing self-respect or social esteem as the path to happiness, which seem illogical given that I acknowledge they're a less efficient method (and probably fundamentally unworkable), but by your logic wouldn't everyone plug themselves into Nozick's pleasure machine? As a less extreme example, I'd rather to be single and lonely than in a loving relationship with an ugly or dumb girl (even if, when in that relationship, I wouldn't notice/care about any of her flaws). I guess that can be written off as pride or vanity as the other posters mentioned (I did read american psycho when I was too young to understand it as satire and I saw Patrick as a legitimate role model for most of my teens) or even more likely just status quo bias but I legitimately would choose misery and elitism over blind happiness. I know that's a retarded non-argument and, as I'm sure it's obvious, I don't know anything about philosophy so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Are you stupid? Knowledge of a topic is vital in literally every career, knowledge of how to stay healthy and be fit is absolutely the way to stay health, and knowledge of how to better yourself, look good and otherwise attract a partner does bring you sexual partners.

>electrical apprenticeship
>"this'll get me ahead of the rat race and compliment my homely values, pragmatic intellect and hard work well"
>realize you're dissociated as fuck from reality and all these kids are actually pretty fucking on the ball and you look like a sad old man at 20 and the novel you've been working on looks like a farce compared to real life technical trades even though finish top of the class feel like complete shit because you relied on deduction without actually knowing anything or caring like the rest are capable of which you never will

Knowing everything leads to unhappiness tho

special tea company jasmine tea thank me later

>we will all make it my boys

>not realising happiness is an addiction
>happiness can only exist in intervals for max good feels
>too much will break you when one day you are not happy
>being this pleb

It's because they lack God in their lives.

True

What did they mean by this?

Without their false sense of superiority, they'd kill themselves in disgust.

>people who "think" they "know"

Correct, actually. Legitimate knowledge can only come from supernatural revelation to the spirit. Neither the senses nor human reason can truly lead a man to "knowledge" of anything.

Just like the underground man.

I simply meant that thinking is not knowing. They're different things. Thinking is a process, knowledge is a conclusion. But take it how you please, I'm sure no one will be able to stop you

this is what hedonists believe

physical well being is done through healthy food and walking. beyond this shows that you either do it because
-you are bored, aka a failure
-you are a homo, aka a failure
-you do it for women, aka a man devoted to please women even if you claim otherwise, like all men, aka a failure
-you cling to your health, aka a failure living in fear of death

=>you are a pleb as soon as you lift.

>supernatural revelation to the spirit
Don't forget to take your meds on time.

Yeah, okay dude, that's all that health is.

Guess we might as well fire doctors, all you need to be healthy is okay food and some walking.

More seriously though, without the knowledge of what's medically normal, and what's right for you and how to address any issues that come up, you can't be healthy. Health is a fucking lot more than just eating healthy (which is complex on its own), and going for a walk sometimes.

Happiness doesn't exist, retard.

There is only momentary respite from the Hedonic Treadmill.

you can't be happy from the one cause forever, eventually that level of happy becomes baseline and you either plummet in happiness or find another source.

What if I just want to beat the shit out of somebody

>using happiness as some kind of metric for success
>being such a profligate idiot you don't abhor and reject happiness as a matter of principle
It's immoral to be happy. Truth is self loathing.

>wanting to be happy
>not pursuing meaningful suffering
Wtf is wrong with you people

Will manlets ever learn?

Knowledge sets you free

Anyone who's not at the very least content with their own existence are slaves to their own ego's.

Paul is referring to Christ, who seems a foolish thing to the "wise," but is the gate to true wisdom and salvation. Expanding the first set of verses:

1 Cor. 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

>this thread
>"I-If you're truly intelligent and understand the world, it's impossible to be happy!!"
>pseuds actually believe this

i used to be depressed before i started reading

this dude made everything okay

Fair, well-placed cop, OP

try again bonehead
>13/88 Xd

What did he mean by this?

vide