What is the funniest classic work of literature you have read?

What is the funniest classic work of literature you have read?

That image us enraging

True History by Lucian of Samosata

moby dick

not even memeing

Don Quixote
The Canterbury Tales

That would be Tristram Shandy

So far, Don Quixote. Shits actually hilarious.

>It's another "Sancho misuses several words in a row and throws a temper tantrum when Quixote corrects him" chapter

Comedic gold

haha when this kid was pissing through the window and BAAM!

Tom Jones was a riot.

my dairy desu

also
GARGANTUA, PANTAGRUEL and the rest of V books

Archilochus' fragments

Unironically this
Also, not sure if this is classic, but both Charles Dickens and Mark Twain are fantastic.

Don Quixote

Second on Canterbury

The Bible
>Am I my brother's keeper?

This
/thread.

Book of job was funny too

>but yeah you know, St. Peter's fine in Rome

JR

A lot of Shakespeare is pretty funny too, even his works that aren't explicitly comedies

>GARGANTUA, PANTAGRUEL
this should be mentioned more

DUDE FARTS LMAO

Notes from Underground

Also this

Candide is pretty funny but also edgy.

That's what Arouet wanted you to think

Euthyphro

Is 1920s considered classic or is it too recent?

If it's ok then The Good Soldier Svejk by Hasek is definitely my favorite.

If that's too recent then probably Don Quixote

Yes

>Then the Gileadites took the fords of the Jordan against the Ephraimites. Whenever one of the fugitives of Ephraim said, ‘Let me go over’, the men of Gilead would say to him, ‘Are you an Ephraimite?’ When he said, ‘No’, they said to him, ‘Then say Shibboleth’, and he said, ‘Sibboleth’, for he could not pronounce it right. Then they seized him and killed him at the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two thousand of the Ephraimites fell at that time.

I legit laughed out loud when I read that passage. It's like that story of Brits checking for German spies by asking them to say "squirrel". Then it super casually drops the fact that 42,000 people were killed.

The Golden Ass

Candide was absurdly modern and very funny. Weird quick cuts for comedic humor, matter-of-fact murders, innuendo. Great stuff.

>Euthyphro
What about it? I thought "What do I really mean? Well I gotta go" was funny

is J R a classic yet?

The Good Soldier Švejk is pure comedy gold

Truth. The Queequeg bed stuff is hilarious.

Symposium

class-sick
whole class was sick of HP
JKR made the whole class-sick

>– erhm, uh, yes uh yes, yes yes uh

comedy gold

anattemptwasmade.jpg

紅樓夢 has a lot of subtle humour.

catch 22

hilarious holy shit, only book to actually make me laugh out loud and it wasn't one of those "intellectual" forced laughs.

>woman
>proper literature

>user
>proper posts

The Sot-Weed Factor is the funniest novel I've ever read, by a large margin

This. I'd pick Catch 22 and A Confederacy of Dunces. I dunno if they count as classic literature though.

Sure. It won the national book award too, right? Which ought to help

another great story for you: the Brits sent public schoolboys who had learnt ancient Greek to Greece to be spies. Apparently it never occurred to them that it would be easy to spot the spies by their use of Greek which hasn't existed since the 5th C BC.

The Iliad has some surprisingly funny parts when the gods start fighting each other. Especially when Athena bitchslaps Artemis and sends her reeling, arrows falling about from her quiver, is when I started heartily laughing out loud like that whiskered gentleman in that drawing.

Also, if you're asking about 20th century classics, one of the funniest books I've read was At Swim-Two-Birds. Kafka can be pretty funny too. The Trial especially had me bursting into laughter a few times.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and anything by Terry Pratchet :3

Bartleby the Scrivener

Absolutely Candide, that book is hilarious.

Probably this, that or Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

A confederacy of dunces.

How did Toole predict Veeky Forums: the character so many years in advance?

The Meno

the ending had me dying.
all of the dialogues are funny though, so i just chose one that would be a good starting point.

Agreed

I found Dead Souls to be hilarious.
Fathers and Sons also had some funny moments.

Only by those in the "know". A lot of people won't be able to get into JR due to its structure. Actually took me three tries to finally get the rhythm of it

All great choices. I'll add that Kafka and Beckett are both hilarious. Surprised they haven't been mentioned yet, actually. Beckett's Molloy is probably the funniest novel I've read.

Good to know (just bought it). 100% hyped now because I love funny lit.

was he /pol/?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Oh, it's classic literature. In that case, Moby Dick. It had some pretty funny moments. I'm starting Don Quixote soon, so that might change.

DUDE RAP BATTLES LMAO

Toole was a goddamned visionary. He predicted neckbeards, reddit/Veeky Forums, contrarian pseudo-intellectual culture, NEETs, and just about every other pretentious movement in the 21st century decades ago. Then he killed himself like a true artist.

brothers Karamazov is actually hilarious.

Yeah canterbury was funny as shit.
Also I found chesterton's father brown series hilarious.

Gilgamesh is pretty hilarious, probably not intentionally though. Still pretty solid for the earliest recorded story.

I didn't find it funny, only depressing.

"The Good Soldier Svejk" is a wild and excellent ride, a shame it never got finished.

Canterbury Tales.

Have you read Titus Andronicus? That shit is so absurdly violent it makes me laugh. And the fucking ending is such garbage.

Is Titus so-bad-its-good or just bad?

Are there any classic works devoid of humor?

OMG yes. the alcoves decked with captured human sofas.

In my opinion, it's the so-bad-it's-good among Shakespare tragedies. Some Tarantino level of violence can be added to the mix too.