Non brainlet here

>non brainlet here
what makes gravity work?

the higgs boson and a dash of primordial majick.

Gravitoons

simple greentext please?

>muh standard model
>muh fundamental forces
>muh carrier particles
>maybe also muh higgs field

I have no idea...
Its weaker than the weak force, yet, if you keep adding "mass", you get something so strong that breaks the laws of physics....

>9106252 is clueless

higgs =/= graviton

mass warps the space-time continuum

And that's why you fall down?
mmmm

anything that has mass also has a gravitational force, however large or small that force may be.
Gravity works when multiple masses are pulling on each other. The difference is that the more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational force is.
Which is why you can actually feel the earths gravitational pull on you. You have a gravitational pull on the earth too, but since the earth's is so much stronger yours is basically irrelevant.

so, its like a magnetic field, but with mass instead of just magnetic metals?

That's Newtonian gravity, which has been proven to be slightly inaccurate with observations of Mercury a century ago. was close but decided to add some meme words in there. Mass warps the fabric of space and slows time (4th dimensionally woven together as space time) as theorized in General Relativity by Einstein in 1915. So since the earth is a 3 dimensional object in a 4th dimensional space, it "weighs" down the material it touches (sensationalized). I'm sure you've seen the demonstration of a weight on a net or stretchy fabric (2 dimensional on 3 dimensional surface) the weight pulls the net down and anything put on the net falls into it.

Magnetic fields are caused by the alignment of the poles of atoms in whatever is magnetized. Electricity and magnetism are very intertwined so if you're interested in either of them it's a fun rabbit hole.

in the net example, things fall down due to gravity, so it shows why things fall *to* the largest object, but not what makes them fall.

thanks, I am.
Will try to see just how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Herp derp, how does an unexplained force work, durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This fucking shit is saying my post is spam

I actually thought about explaining how that wasn't a very apt example for that reason. Truly not a brainlet, I am impressed. It's impossible to visualize directly why things fall as they do, but the simplest answer I can conceive is that since there is no central point in the universe to base movement on, and since the universe is constantly expanding, every atom is always moving, so given that mass bends space-time every object gets pulled in the direction of the center of mass. For example, gravitational deflection is when a stream of light bends around a star. It goes around the curve and changes direction, however the light itself doesn't change its velocity, it's just taking the straightest path in a curved space.

You're a fucking idiot and you should hang yourself tonight.
God dammit I wish 8ch's(apparently you cant spell it out in full) sci board wasn't so fucking slow, all you fucking reddit users are so fucking terrible and easy to pick out it's ridiculous you'd even consider coming here. Just stay on fucking reddit if you're going to act like a fucking child.
Gravity isn't even a fucking force.

I hope that's enough, I'm off to bed

This brainlet thinks gravity is a force

>what is an attractor

This is the good post of the thread. Mass sort of "shrinks" space near it, so there's a greater volume of space contained within a massive body of X radius, relative to empty space of X radius. Plus time moves slower nearer the mass. If you try to hold those two qualities in your head and think about how an object would travel when it encounters these particular warps in space and time, it can start to feel more intuitively like a well that can tend to trap floating objects.

Kip Thorne's books and youtube vids have nice graphs and explanations of general relativistic effects like the behavior of gravity. Only issue is his "uhh" speech impediment.

BTFO

Eart is rely gay and sucs everywun rely hard

cringe.

Objects thrown into the air desire to return to their home, the earth, and thus come back down.

wtf is that pic

ISIS doing Allah's work, trowing gays off tall buildings.

The only way to cure AIDS.

Why though? All responses want to explain the physical and natural law it undergoes, not the fundamental attractive force. Higgs and graviton particles are just meme's.

god wills it

by splattering AIDS infested blood all over the pavement where a crowd of people is entertained by the whole endeavour??

Yes

ISIS AIDS prevention endeavors are surprisingly effective

I learned a couple of months back that the volume inside a black hole increases continually even if its radius stays constant.

what the fuck

So after reading this thread, no one knows?

That's how curvature works. Of course, we all know that the geometrization of gravity is a meme. Even Einstein did

You evidently did not read the thread

Severe intellectual deficiency in here.

Lacking in support of your presumed exclusion. If you don't like where the thread has gone, why not try to change it instead of just vomiting on your keyboard and wasting everybody's time. You probably don't even know what General Relativity is.

No one here knows what gravity is.

if gravity bends space, what does space bend into?

[math]\int \mathcal{D} \varphi \mathcal{D}\bar \varphi \mathcal{D}\psi \mathcal{D}\bar \psi \exp \left[ {\frac{{ - 1}}{{4\pi }}\int\limits_\Sigma {{\operatorname{d} ^2}z\left[ {{g_{ij}}\left( {{\partial _z}{\varphi ^i}{\partial _{\bar z}}{{\bar \varphi }^j} + {\partial _{\bar z}}{\varphi ^i}{\partial _z}{{\bar \varphi }^j}} \right) + {B_{ij}}\left( {{\partial _z}{\varphi ^i}{\partial _{\bar z}}{{\bar \varphi }^j} - {\partial _{\bar z}}{\varphi ^i}{\partial _z}{{\bar \varphi }^j}} \right) + i{g_{ij}}\left( {\bar \psi _ - ^j\operatorname{D} \psi _ - ^i + \bar \psi _ + ^j\operatorname{D} \psi _ - ^i} \right) + {R_{ijkl}}\psi _ + ^i\bar \psi _ + ^j\psi _ - ^k\bar \psi _ - ^l} \right]} } \right][/math]

Things can move. The "stuff" that allows things to move is called space. Within space, things can be together or apart in 3 different ways.

Things can be apart in one 4th way, which is time. This one works in a single direction though.

The way things move is defined by the combination of space and time. Things always move towards the future, and in the same direction of space (if not accelerated) you can imagine space as a lane.

Space, however, can be altered. Time too can be altered. The imaginary lane can be stretched, bend, or curved. Energy does that.

Mass is confined energy. If you trap energy, it becomes mass. You need lots of energy to make mass, however.

Gravity is the way space and time are altered by energy. It bends them in such a way that things no longer travel in lines, but in this new, warped things called geodesics. They are like lines, but less straight.

English please

Earth has lots of mass. That means it has lots and lots of energy. That bends space a tiny little bit, and bends time a small bit.

That bent time means that for things to follow their natural paths, they must orbit the earth, or fall towards it. All because time is bent around here.

I don't get it.

Is not this the same explanaton for electrostatic field or any force and accelerated field?

Read: No one knows what gravity is

It's not, and I'm not sure how I could explain how it's not since it seems so fundamental. Electrostatic fields are caused by electricity or magnetic fields, don't change over time, aren't dependent on mass, and only affect or are affected by metals and magnets..
What do you mean by any force and accelerated field?

I don't think he does either.

Everybody in this thread should read a brief history of time

Alarming intellectual deficiency in here.

Without gravity, how would explain how water sticks to a ball?

Without relativity, how would explain the earth spinning on an axis of 1000mph (faster than speed of sound) without feeling any movement?

Gravity is quite literally Force, though of course words only have the meaning we give them so if you are thinking of forced wrong youd think what you think

You and the earth pull on each other with the exact same force

In flat space, in normal time, if you throw a ball it travels at a constant speed in a straight line. That's how flat space works.

If you deform space and time (which energy does), things no longer travel in straight lines. Without pushing, things fall down or orbit, because that's the shape of deformed space and time.

Gravity is how straight lines look when you deform space and time (mostly time) by having lots of energy (mass is lots of energy) close.

I don't get it at all, fuck

God does it.

>bend into
Things don't bend into things. They just bend.

Things don't move in straight lines because of magic, they move in stright lines when space is flat

Gravity is when space and time are not flat, thus no more straight lines.

>Without gravity, how would explain how water sticks to a ball?

Surface tension.

>Without relativity, how would explain the earth spinning on an axis of 1000mph (faster than speed of sound) without feeling any movement?

Inertia principle.

>what makes gravity work?
Also, how does a balloon with helium beat Earth's gravity?

Once you realize that all of physics is arbitrary bullshit you understand that all that matters is that you have a theory that accurately models reality and so "God does it" so, in order to have evidence for our theory we then test it, we drop a fork and it falls to the ground, what caused it to fall to the gorund? God. As we predicted it he'd do. As we know from Karl Popper we cannot prove theories but we can strengthen them by testing their implications and seeing if they are correct, as you can see, no matter what we do this theory is correct. "God makes the photons go around the nucleaus" then you observe the nucleoid and you will see too this happens, strengthening our hypotesis as predicted as discussed. just theories

OP, others have said it, but I'll give it a go too.

Newton wrote an approximation that is usually defined as the Law of Universal Gravitation. It states that two masses placed near each other will be drawn to each other.

In reality, mass warps the space around it and the warps create minimal energy patterns that objects travel along when they're set into motion. So to an observer it looks like they're attracted to each other with no other explanation.

Since the earth is far more massive than you are, you are drawn to its warp more than it's drawn to your warp (yes, you exert a gravitational pull on the Earth it's just very weak).

Does that help?

The only difficult thing to grasp about General Relativity is the 4th dimension. If you don't think it should work because of Euclidean geometry its probably because fuck you, fourth dimension , if you cant grasp this please go back to /b/.

Gravity has force but gravity itself is not a force.

Kek

non brainlet here
You are absolutely a brailet.

This redditor doesn't proofread their posts

>Gravity

>things accelerating towards other things
>the things have mass
>not a force

perhaps you mean gravitation is not a force, but gravity is?

Helium baloons are gravity-retarded. All the atmophere beats them in the "touch the ground" race, so they get left behind.

Behind is up.

as proven by ISIS its homosexuality