Agree Y/N?

Agree Y/N?

N

Sam Harris at the top with that pic of Homer Simpson's skull

Your taste is spoopy. I like it. Keeps the craven leftists out.

No. Pseudo-Dionysius is just Christianity corrupted by Neo-Platonism.

>Christianity corrupted by Neo-Platonism
It's called Gnosis and that's not Denys

i hate this fucking "tfw to smart for" meme and i hate the comparison that shows an individual with a comparison next to them meant to depict their intelligence and i hate these wojaks with enlarged brains or brains that morph into other people and i hate the wojak with the brain that's an elephant and i hate the normie "whomst'd" meme and if i ever find the person responsible for this meme ill break their ribs and spit on their face

desu

There was no Wojack here until you brought him. Why do you carry that weight?

Pseudo-Dionysius is not gnostic. And that is indeed an icon of Dionysius the Areopagite.

i pretty much agree

I said Christianity corrupted by Neo-Platonism is Gnosticism, which Denys is not.

Who is the second-to-last person portrayed?

>Nietzsche
>Ahead of Evola
Yeah. No.

plotinus last head of the neo-platonist school

No, it isn't. Gnostic Christianity existed before Neo-Platonism.

Hegel

>Gnostic Christianity existed before Neo-Platonism
Gnostic Christianity as in actually gnostic and actually christian, so neither marcionite nor sethian, starts in the 2nd century.

Neoplatonism as pointed, ends with Plotinus. Anglo scholars tend to confuse the terms and call everything before Plotinus as "medioplatonism" and start "neoplatonism" with him. However this is false and Plotinus is actually the end of a neoplatonist tradition which is different to medioplatonism.
I think theurgy and the affirmation that the One is beyond the intelligible qualify as a representant of "neoplatonism" as Anglos usually understand it.

Thank you, user.

I still cant get past my Nietzsche phase, he is just too right

Stirner is underrated
lol is that the spore map

Read Plato

That's a lot of hate. Maybe you don't belong here.

The last head of the Neo-Platonic Academy was Damascius who died almost 300 years after Plotinus.

no problem. i am really into platonism. other good platonists are salovyov, philo, Iamblichus, Porphyry, and Bolzano,

huh good post

i know but plotnius is the last of the established platonist school that was backed by the empire before christianity became the central religion in rome

Is there any ideology/religion which straight up believes God is bad or just not omnibenevolent?

I have read Plato, all the western cannon

This.

Stirner's hated by the faggots who've grown sick of the memes. It's stupid. It's not like ideas grow more wrong because of the idiots who can't stop memeing about them.

The faggots who jumped on the Stirner bandwagon are the same kinds of fags who're now hating him. And yes I'm a butthurt egoist.

Yeah.
Satanism.

That doesn't mean that Neo-Platonism "ends with Plotinus." It continued until Justinian's reign. Getting back to Dionysius, he lifts passages out of Proclus, for example, who is clearly a Neo-Platonist.

I heard that was just some LARPer's way of being an individualist. Satan-as-the-Individual or some shit.

the school itself ends but not the philosphy. similiar to how the temple was burned but judaism is still around. also just because he is influenced by a neo-platonist doesn't mean he is one but rather comes from a different platonic tradition altogether

My friend what was the point of Jesus flipping tables, getting pissed when people touched his robes, and just in general yelling at people to leave if they aren't dressed properly for a public event? Clearly God exists and is not terribly 'nice' either. But OVERALL he supports a functional moral system which supports longevity of human culture and creation of a utilitarian system of government.

Acts 4:20

Mainstream satanism is just unlimited hedonism. It's just a front to get people into deeper cults.

Agreed but they should be even tiered

Why have Dionysius at the end rather than the East or West Church Fathers or Maximus the Confessor?

>cannon

>and just in general yelling at people to leave if they aren't dressed properly for a public event?

How fucking stupid can you possibly be?

This image brought to you by someone who has never read any of the included authors

Sorry I only speak English :/

>Who is Proclus

oh fuck never mind

So are Proclus, Simplicus, Iamblichus, Porphyry, Pseudo Dionysius, Gemistus Pletho, and Marisilio Ficino of this second grouping?

ruse detected

Our man, through Veeky Forums memes, begins reading Stirner ; and through /pol/ he encouters Evola, which he quickly discards as one more version of the italian anti-modern late romantic ; yet he is not done, and starts reading Spengler ; but the latter's criticisms of Nietzsche brings him back to the man himself, his eternal companion, whom he has always been reading since he was a teenager, and he understands him more and more, until his criticisms of Plato, the man he hated the way only two brothers can hate each other, bring him back to the first and the last, the creator of all great philosophy (but we didn't deem it important to include Plato in the list), until he wants to move on and understand what his thought produced when colliding with the more obscure, "magian" forms of thought ; and there we have Plotinus, whose Enneads our man did thoroughly read, until moving out to its radical accomplishment, the suicide of reason on the altar of reason itself, farther than anything Pascal could have ever dreamed of, I mean Dionysius the Aeropagite himself.

Which Dionysius are you talking about? Dionysius the Areopagite or Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite?

It's a Futurama reference

What the fuck language are you guys speaking?

Pseudism

History of philosophy with a poor English spelling.

There's a bunch of people between Plato & Aristotle, and Bacon & Descartes.

No, philosophers will never have the physical intellect of some our foremost scientific geniuses.

Fuck off.

Goofy is a brilliant skeptic.

The last person in OP's picture is Dionysius the Areopagite, a figure who appears in the Bible and converts to Christianity under Paul's preaching in Athens (Acts 17:34 "Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.")

Five hundred years later or so, a person published a series of Christian theological texts under the name Dionysius the Areopagite, which show a heavy Neo-Platonic influence. Christians at the time and into the medieval period believed that this was the Dionysius of the Bible. If it was, then his texts were of great importance, as they would show a developed theological system already present in the first century, written by someone converted by Paul himself. Eventually scholars were able to debunk the notion that this was actually Dionysius, and so the writer is now referred to as "Pseudo-Dionysius." Writing texts under someone else's name was not uncommon in the antique period, and was meant to show a supposed continuity with another person's thought, rather than a nefarious motive.

Agreed, it is actually the mouse with the high pitch which is a terrible brainlet

Thanks guys. I appreciate the effort, really I do. But you can't fool me, I know the only philosopher was Neechte.

Also a substantial amount of Catholic and Eastern Orthodox theology is based upon Pseudo-Dionysius, and is therefore wrong.

imagine being this guy

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

>evola
>ahead of anyone

FIRST HEAD.

Fuck.

>and is therefore wrong
How so?

Because Pseudo-Dionysius was not Dionysius. His writings were utilized as having an authority which they did possess. As was said earlier, if he was actually Dionysius, then you are a reading a sophisticated theology from the 1st cent. written by a student of Paul himself. There isn't anything like this which exists, nothing even close. If he says that there is a chain of mediators (priests, etc.) between man and God, then that is what Paul taught him. It is almost an apostolic level of authority. But of course he wasn't Dionysius and his writings do not have that authority. He was just some monk from the 6th cent., most likely. Theologians will not utilize him now because they know better, but that wasn't true in the past.

The reason for the extreme influence of Dionysius is not only the authority provided by the name the author used, but also the confusion of Dionysius with the first bishop of Paris.
Many merovingian and carolingian kings would get anointed at the Basilica of Saint-Denis and the man himself, as first bishop of Paris, became somewhat of a national figure in the High Middle Ages.
Now when official "court theologians" were brought about, or abbeys created, often they would be given the writings of Dionysius to study/translate/copy.

Whomst is one of the only funny out-of-Veeky Forums memes in forever, the normies haven't really ruined it yet

>tfw the reformation was actually correct

>if he was actually Dionysius, then you are a reading a sophisticated theology from the 1st cent. written by a student of Paul himself.
Is it ironic, or good meta symbolism on The Authors part, that he was named Dionysius?

>tfw too smart for 'too smart for x' memes

he wasn't the first head thou. that was ammonius saccas

>some of these are just simple facts like names of platonic philosophers and dates of the platonic school
how is that pseudo

>that think when to intelligent not too post memes