Does anyone have any good receipts for making a homemade tomato sauce for pizza?

Does anyone have any good receipts for making a homemade tomato sauce for pizza?
I've just been draining cans of chopped tomatoes to get rid of the excess water, mixing in some sauteed shallot onion, garlic, chilli and 'italian spices'. Then bring it to a simmer and let it cool.
Give me some tips Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r-C2Amx5C9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>broil them
>take the skins off
>cook on pan with olive oil until pureed
>add garlic
>add herbs
>wa-la

Since this is a tomato sauce thread, does anyone know how to reduce the acidity of canned tomatoes? Am I choosing the wrong tomato brand?

if using chopped tomatoes, they have to be reduced as they are watery, also i always add some sugar as they can be very acidic.
if using fresh tomatoes, roast them in the over first with onion and garlic, then mash the whole lot in a pan, reduce and strain.
the same method can be used to make passatta, pizza sauce, whatever tomato sauce you like.
really, the key thing is reducing slowly on a low heat for a few hours, making sure not to burn it. salt and sugar, herbs etc as required.

did you try "del monte"?
>draining cans of chopped tomatoes to get rid of the excess water, mixing in some sauteed shallot onion, garlic, chilli and 'italian spices'
sounds already pretty good to me, might wanna add pieces of half-dried tomato or some tomato puree. also I would omit the chili, but that's personal choice.
also really good

see

i hadn't noticed the 'draning' comment. don't do this. it's all tomato juice, you just need to reduce it.

I think draining is good because it gives you a nice glass of thick tomato juice

On pizza I usually go the uncooked road. I tend to think that a cooked sauce is to decadent, making the whole pie taste of only the sauce. Especially if you have light toppings.

When it comes to the sauce I like it simple: bliz up some peeled canned tomatoes with some salt, garlic and olive oil. If the tomatoes are shitty I usually cheat with a pinch of sugar. Remember: San marzano is a meme for pizza places to stay expensive and for Italians trying to stay relevant.

>meme
Opinion discarded.
You were doing ok up to that point.

I mean they are good. But nowhere near worth the price. If you live in the US I can guarantee that you can get an equally good product that hasn't traveled across half of the world.

Tnx for the tips people.

I get these and crush them with my hands, then add olive oil, S&P, sugar, and oregano, then simmer them for a while to reduce the liquid.

I guess you could drain the liquid instead if you prefer a fresher tasting sauce, but I like it to have a bit of that rich cooked flavor.

San Marzano tomatoes aren't exclusively grown in Italy, user.

>But nowhere near worth the price.
They're like $.50 more than Del Monte. I think that's more than worth it.

Making your own pizza with good ingredients is still cheaper than ordering shitty takeout.

But the ones people actually talk about are the d.o.p ones, right? I believe that they get their taste from the volcanic soil that they originally grew from. Something that's not that common in the states right?

It's like buying a ferrari assembled in a Ford factory

Ah ok! Last time I was in the states that wasn't the case. In Norway you'll pay a premium for water with a bit of tomato flavor in it. I guess I'm just jealous.

San Marzano tomatoes
Fresh basil
Salt

Crush the tomatoes.
Add the basil
Salt to taste.

That's it. That's all you need.

Tomato Puree, splash of olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano and salt. Mix it and done.

I'm from Chicago and generally we just use ketchup and salt.

I could never get my sauce to taste and smell like the pizza sauces from the restaurant. I've tried most of the popular traditional recipes, but for some reason, Im not even close to recreating pizzas from even mid tier Italian pizzerias in my city. Do the Italian fags have some secret sauce recipe they keep locked up or something? Most restaurants have quite similar tasting sauces too.

I could never get my sauce to taste and smell like the pizza sauces from the restaurant. I've tried most of the popular traditional recipes, but for some reason, Im not even close to recreating pizzas from even mid tier Italian pizzerias in my city. Do the Italian fags have some secret sauce recipe they keep to themselves or something? Most restaurants have quite similar tasting sauces too

the only secret any italian will tell you is this: use quality products

>Do the Italian fags have some secret sauce recipe they keep to themselves or something?

Pic related.

When you say "quality products", do you mean use fresh Roma tomatoes instead of the cheap canned varieties? Fresh Tomatoes are pretty expensive here(10 dollaroos per a kg). Are there any good quality canned varieties you can point me to that isnt as insanely expensive as San Marzano's?

Grego has one that is pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=r-C2Amx5C9A

boil tomatoes in salted water and use pic related or something similar.

Hunts whole peeled tomatoes, or san marzano if you feel fancy. Hunts is just cheaper and almost as good. It's also not as watery as some other brands so you can get away with keeping all the liquid, although I do still strain some of the liquid usually.
Sea salt
Pepper
Dried oregano
Dried basil
Dried rosemary
A clove or two of garlic
A bit of good olive oil, preferably something fruitier like Aberquina.

Blend it all together, cover and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. This sauce does not get cooked (except in the oven). Don't simmer pizza sauce, you're not making pasta.