Rate my Uni Booklist

Just purchased all the books required for this semester. Rate my university's taste.

What uni?
What course?

QUT
Education Majoring in Modern History.

blurry/10

Lmao I did the same degree at QUT, user. I was in the old ED90 course. Interpreting the past with Keith Moore?

Shit, really? Yeah man! Course any good?

I should have checked the image before posting.

Can't fault the degree. There's a reason why it's the best teaching degree in QLD.
Keith is the fucking man, guaranteed 7 for the spoken component of the history assessments.
I recommend doing Modern China or Colonialism and Independence in SE Asia if you're given the option. They were great units and much more tertiary level history units than how Keith runs things.

I'm much more confident about the course now, looking forward to seeing how Keith runs things.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep them in mind! Both are interesting topics in the first place and if they're on a more tertiary level for history I should take them.

Summer?

As far as the books go, Grenville is such a good resource for future use. I never touched Kershaw and AJP Taylor is worth a read. Turning Points gets churned out by group presentations but that unit was decent. I did a written task on the history of beaches in Australia. That Aus History unit is Keith's bread and butter so he can engage a lot better with the content.

Double major English/History.

Missing my Literary Theory textbook. Thanks Co-op for ordering the wrong edition.

English/Philosophy at UNE Armidale (Aus) here, hoping to get into education but I'd be happy as an informed labourer.
Doing American lit, literary theory, European philosophy, and Aesthetics.
Gonna be a fun trimester.

>happy as an informed labourer.
Don't worry, user. We're all going to be either A) accessorising our essentially useless BAs with Masters/PhD or B) very informed labourers.

Man, we're lucky the government even lets us study the arts these days. If the libs had their way all universities would be forced to shut down their arts departments and give all their facilities to STEM.

It's happening on its own, my uni is primarily rural science (agriculture), but the arts classes have been getting smaller every year.

Ian Kershaw is a fucking trash historian who unironically believes Hitler was born evil, and doesn't even try to understand his circumstances or life choices that made him into the man he was.

so basically most people today?

I'm 24 and never went to college.

Is it too late for me as an American to study something like philosophy or literature at a worthwhile university?

It's never too late user.

no

Not if you have the money and time

I think my only option at this point is to start out at a community college which offers nothing in the way of a literature or philosophy degree.

You could go if you were 90. It makes no difference if you have the time and money.

My brother went to CC for a couple years and then transferred to a university.

what if i don't have time and money

kek. that's it? I probably read the triple number of pages that you do in a semester.

t. law student

for what?

>an Kershaw is a fucking trash
that's what an education is for

Mine is 19th century english lit

Great Expectations
Heart of Darkness
Tess of d'Urbervilles
Bernard Shaw - something
and Jekyll n Hyde i think

>buying books for university

lol cucks

t. masters level stemfag

>people pay to read entry level literature
If this isn't solid proof that most courses are scams I don't what is

Ausfag?

Got a mate starting a bachelor of education there this year , and another friend about to graduate in nursing. Is UNE any good?

is that seriously all you're assigned for this semester?

You don't pay to read it. Anyone can read it. You pay to gain insight on the texts and how they relate to and propagate their respective genre.

>A History of the World From the 20th to the 21st Century

So, A History of the Twentieth Century?

>Just purchased all the books required for this semester
>middle of february

It depends, the nursing and education schools are great, but ive had friends grad from int studies and have issues getting a place at somewhere like USYD because UNE isnt a top uni. The town itself is great for a small town though, and im enjoying my arts course.
Oh I forgot, UNE works on trimesters not semesters. Equals less tome to study content. They seem to want it to be an online uni primarily.

Wow you're boring.

I'm training as a psychoanalyst.

I bet those books won't even talk about how Hitler survived and fled to Argentina.

Is 'Nine Parts of Desire' any good? It's on my list but haven't managed to get a hold of it yet.

So...a glorified daycare? Interesting.

psycho anal

>pay

>not renting all your books from the university library at the start of the semester and then refusing to return them when the next poorfag wants to get them
This guy gets it.

What is the world outside the United States.
What is assigned reading.

I do trimesters at my uni in lelbourne, just wish I was there for the small town feels.

this lol, anyone not in stem literally should just off themselves unless youre going balls deep post doctorate level into your stupid shit like philo or eng lit. Just thinking of the idiots wasting their time pisses me off, then they'll just complain that minimum wage is 2LO4ME KEK. Do the arts for pleasure ffs, 'im an aspiring author!' No fuck you. You literally are just wasting your fucking time away with a degree that will not get you what you want and you'll be happy af just to get some crap job with an 100k salary for literally just checking numbers and browsing reddit all day.

k

>Reading the great gatsby is considered higher level education in America

SAD! MANY SUCH CASES!

This is clearly written by someone who has never set foot on a University campus.

>BA in whatever the fuck you enjoy
>Masters in what you intend to make your career out of

>you're all literally the idiots trying to tell everyone their mixtape is real good so that they can get into the business

Why are you acting like this didn't work for Chance the Rapper?

It's because of retards like you that us stem people are looked down upon in the first place.

>currently doing a French Grande École
>the most successful people of every promotion are almost always the ones who spend the most time reading philo', and take some serious humanities courses.

Studying biochemistry and pharmacology.
You know, a real degree.

the great gatsby is a book that nearly all americans read in high school.

>PENGUIN CLASSIC BOOKS
>GENERAL HISTORY BOOKS
>KERSHAW
>AMERICAN EDUCATION

When I went to uni in Europe we had to skim-read 8 books a week and all of our papers ended up having 50+ citations. This was in the first year of the course. We truly went balls-deep into the subject matter.

Fucking yanks, you pay 200k for an 'education' and get the above.

Don't think many Americans would be studying Australian history.
While Australian education is fucktarded, most of the reading you do is not in books but articles and extracts online.

Oh shit OP I go here

>claims to skim-read '8 books a week' for university
>can't even interpret a single image on an ethiopian basket-weaving website, or skim-read the posts around that image which discuss Australian universities
I'm guess you washed out, bud? Hey, college dropout is still something.

>i don't have time
if you're on Veeky Forums you have time
>don't have money
suck dicks for cash

0/10

enjoy spending 100k on a useless major

oh wait, you think going to uni makes you intelligent like that electrical engineer

>>claims to skim-read '8 books a week' for university

Most European unis I know require reading some 15 books a month at least tho. I've never had to read 8 books a week, but we do read a lot more from what I've seen.

Liberal arts education in the anglosphere seems to be utter shit, overrun with wannabe-liberals and diplomas on the same level as participation-awards.