Veeky Forums here, am I a mentally deficient brainlet for having a sub 30k vocabulary?

Veeky Forums here, am I a mentally deficient brainlet for having a sub 30k vocabulary?

How can I build my vocabulary without coming across as too pretentious? I always liked using a precise, succinct word over an esoteric one, but I feel this approach fails me sometimes in expressing things where very specific words encapsulate ideas perfectly.

I got an insanely high score on that because I knew meteorological terms. Listen to the weathergirl sometimes, instead of just staring at here.

this

>Veeky Forums memelord barely knows thirty thousands words in one language
>meanwhile I, /it/ masterrace, know literally an infinity of numbers
STEMfags BTFO'd

>How can I build my vocabulary
Read more, silly

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>tfw monolingual

I is gonna be alright?

I got the same result. But I know 4 languges.

le my epic face when 85th percentile :)

But I'm not a native

fucking retards

>knowing two forms of the verb 'to be'
>with a vocabulary of 20 words
Impressive.

>tfw can't write a sentence that uses a whole quarter of my vocabulary.

You fucked up the kerning here, user (space is way too wide), and made yourself look like an idiot.

>and made yourself look like an idiot.
But I claim it was sincere idiocy and not post-ironic irony

outta my way fucking plebs

Why are you morons photoshopping it with a different font instead of just editing the HTML

Just want to let you know your kerning is spot on.

pleb

I have a 28K vocabulary too, but I guess I have an excuse. I learnt English 3 years ago.

It's Veeky Forums, what did you expect? This is the dumbest board outside of /mlp/.

>inspect element html bullshittery
>kerning

stop dickwaving your useless graphic design knowledge

>all these brainlets ITT
pitiful

shit forgot my image

Wow you trully are a god amongst men, I envy you

>tfw to intelligent to remember image

oops haha

The brain goes faster as physical reality

doesnt matter honestly. the words you know and recognise are not the same as the words you use. everyone across the board has a working vocab (that they use) of about 2-3000 words. shakespeare used about 30,000 different ones in his writing, which is why hes so applauded. pushkin comes second and used about 12000 if memory serves.

I like how you've really tried to show off in your original post too
>succinct
short
>esoteric
odd
>encapsulate
show

if you can say it simply but dont, you're not communicating you're showing off and no-one likes a show off

Succinct doesn't mean short ; esoteric doesn't mean odd and encapsulate doesn't mean show.

That's the point

Kys again Hemingway

but that wasn't the point.

not that guy but he's right. OP could've said "I always liked using simple words over complicated ones" encapsulate could also be replaced with express, and the irony of what his sentence was conveying made me chuckle inside.
there's this trend now with people using bigger words unnecessarily to project intelligence which really only show to me how stupid they are and man it's annoying.

No. The words in the last column aren't complicated, they're esoteric. The exact meaning of esoteric can't be conveyed with another single word.

Ha, but you are erroneous, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using words of your own pleasing. Why should one try to lower his manner of writing, which learned with great persistence, so that he or she is able to communicate with the lowbrow plebian cultural replicators?

You smell like a populist and an unfunny one I may say. Linguistic superiority does indeed exist my man, and blessed are those who do not lower their speak for such innoble deeds as to make it more comprehensible

To signal one is the ingroup of the higher cultural groups is something to be proud of, not something that should be hidden from the social reality of the world

I hope thy ironic brainletism will eventually kill thy desu, ugh to you

i hope this is ironic and the mistakes were all deliberate for your sake

>garbage in garbage out
get a real dictionary unless you want to stay a low-vocab pleb all your life

If you would be versed in the study of linguistics you would know that any rules regarding writing are most if not all arbitrary
I simply choose my own linguistic style, which surely is prophetic in the sense that the future generations will speak and write it

You are nothing but a cultural pessimist that points to linguistic decline in the same manner that so many in the past did

Meanwhile I am Shakespeare incarnated, using my creativity and non-nativeness as a way to diversify the world with a much pleasurable way of the English language, creating words and new grammer along the way

Meanwhile you rot in your linguistic stasis, desperately hanging on to the old ways, eventually collapsing along the way, while you see the English language unfolding towards the newness that I and many more bright minds create desu

>The exact meaning of esoteric can't be conveyed with another single word.
yes. but in the context of what you were trying to express, esoteric was pointless. as was precise and succinct. the irony is that you don't want to sound pretentious.
6/10 not bad.

This is a post-ironic board, as well as a post-pleb board, so either way get out.

Like such as?

Y-Ye?

Is that good for a non-native?

31,200 non-native

This is what I mean, you are stuck into your divide of pleb vs nonpleb but yet you remind yourself that any distinction in the way one writes is not okay

If you want to be part of the cultural elite you got to flaunt it, even embrace it, and push towards the linguistic and cultural frontier

There is nothing ironic about the way I write, it is because you are stuck into former year thinking that you cannot possible comprehend the new ways in which I, dangerously but skillfully, engage

It is like you are stuck speaking Indo-European while I am breaking through barriers and giving birth to the Romance languages

Romance languages are indo-european you fucking mongoloid

3/10 made me reply

have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?

>Romance languages are indo-european you fucking mongoloid
I know that... I mean proto-Indo-European obviously.

See you fail to understand me, I just told you how it works but you refuse to listen. The point is that the way you write and speak is like a language from the past while I'm creating the languages of the future

You think in terms of the past while I am making the future, simple as that

>have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
Nah, that is mean to say such a thing, I'm mentally weakened by this thread tho
In the end y'all see that the ways which y'all do are ways of the past

You can have a vocabulary up to tremendous sizes, but it don't matter nothing when the future words are being made and spread

But yea I'm outta this thread, y'all don't see it like the way I see it

I know at least 30k but I definitely don't know more than 100k. Christ. I'm probably going to have to do the work to find out.

Choosing to be wrong is like being a retard and saying "HURR I WAS ONLY PRETANDEN!! 1! xDD" in your hubris, you've only made a fool of yourself. In your narcissim, you keep yourself from learning. This can't even be qualified qualified as bait because of what I mentioned earlier. Using big boy words doesn't work when you aren't a big boy.

Please fuck off and die in a hole.

wait wut

i only say that because you seem to think that in conversation it only matters if you understand what you're saying. that paired with you thinking that being unable to be understood due to your idiosyncratic-for-the-sake-of-it style as a good thing.

It turns out that I'm retarded

Why would I know how to do it :/

As like such for to purchasing of like unto a greater dictionary than so it is with thine.

39,900 non-native goml

This way of counting words you know is preposterously ridiculous. There's absolutely no way one could know how many words they know. On a side note, an educated person who graduated a University knows around 20k words (it is very many). All the numbers you scored, anons, don't prove anything.

>you can't knoe nuffin
But that's wrong, the methodology to the test is very clear and laid out.

I agree with you, but you probably only wrote this because you got a shitty score yourself.

>/it/ masterrace

>tfw native speaker who reads all the time
>scored 22,800
what the fuck

Sucks to be a brainlet
:'(

Ure prob danish or something dumb faggot

How

Took this before I started getting Veeky Forums. By the end of this year it should be at least 24k, probably more.

~40k.

I noticed that some of the words were variants of those used in Ulysses, Finnegans Wake, Book of the New Sun, etc.

Is there a quiz that caps higher than 45k?

I don't understand how this scoring works. I checked literally every word it presented and got 17,900 as my projected vocabulary.

They have a mind-reading algorithm and know you're lying from the way you move your mouse. The check-boxes are arbitrary.

I don't know how accurate this test actually is.

I took it maybe six months ago and got something around 28,000.

Now it's telling me .

I don't think I've learned 10k words in the last six months.

> measuring their vocabulary size of their native language

that autism

Measuring "the" vocabulary size of their native "languages."

Yours needs work, bud.

ITT people checkmarking words they've seen before and/or only vaguely maybe know the definition to

ITT retards

>13,000
A-are you guys cheating

t. projecting

English is my second language, but I speak it fluently. I hoped for better results to be honest.

Read more classics

>conveying
Saying
>project
Show
>intelligence
Smartness
>annoying
Do me a big ANGRY FACE and poopoo in panties >:(

I got around 36,000 and I'm a complete brainlet.

t. sub-20k butthurt retard

Well, shit.

SEA bitch goml