Stack thread

Can we get a stack thread going? Post your most recently bought books, your current reads, shitposts and rate others' tastes. Have fun!

C'monnnnnnn

Usually these things are bumpin

can I play physical-bros?

The City and the City-China Mieville
Perdido Street Station-China Mieville
Existentialism is humanism-Sartre
Human All Too Human/ Beyond Good and Evil-Nietzsche

I got the wordsworth edition of the Nietzsche book. I should be fine, right?

I'll post when I get home, my 3 recent ones are memetastic as fuck

Is illuminatus good?

>Abridged

hahahahhahahahahah

Give me 1(ONE) reason not to read the abridged version

>Give me 1(ONE) reason not to read the abridged version

Because it is disgusting pleb behavior. Its not like Les Mis where explication on the paris sewer system takes 50 pages, the whole work is of value and contains pertinent information and anecdote throughout.

If you think thats acceptable you might as well read the fucking wikipedia page.

>Watchmen
Nice
>Trevor Noah
Dude wtf

Nice stack, Dr. Bloodmoney is one of Dick's better books and Illuminatus is a favorite as well. I have that Celtic Miscellany book but haven't gotten to it yet

Yeah, though it's really pulp-y

Okay there Mr. Supreme Arbiter of What Is and Isn't Worth Reading

>Trevor Noah
kill yourself

bamp

Recently bought are these

First is "peasants" by Wladislaw Reymont
Second is "A moment in Peking" by Lin Yutang
Third is "Between tears and laughter" by Lin Yutang
Last one was a gift,it's "Thoughts" by Blaise Pascal

What do you think?

>muh wordsworth

regret nothing buying the waves and ulysses, have already read ulysses translated, now in english

a bit apreehensive buying war & peace for the translation and a bit the cover, but it was cheap as fuck so...

Joyce wordsworth doesn't actually look too bad. I quite like their Dubliners cover.

>trevor noah
I cant stand that little fuck. Ruined a great show
>hurr durr trump!!
Ok? Is there any commentary or at least a joke coming?
>hes dumb!
Oh. I guess ill go read

Couch side stack.

Nice stack.

Probably going to finish The Education of Cyrus tonight myself. I really loved it.

How is Great Irish Short Stories?

beyond this I'm thumbing through other non-fiction texts I've completed, a few poetry collections, and every once in a while read a bit of a novel to lighten my burden.

Have you read any Kierkegaard before?

>p&v
>abridged
>screenwriting guru book
>trevor noah
>comic book

oh my god

I haven't gotten very far in it but it has Yeats, Joyce, Beckett and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Liking what I've read so far though.

Good to hear about Cyrus though cause i havent read it yet.

You make the assumption he's going to read it farther than the first ten pages.

>Kelly Link

MAH NIGGA

Here's what I have bought the last few weeks.

no. i was deciding between this, fear and trembling, and christian discourses. i dont think of myself as an idiot, dont have that much time, and didnt want to buy a selected works, so I chose Practices. Hopefully it turns out to be a good decision.

Crucible of War by Fred Anderson
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
The Unvanquished by William Faulkner

Finished Pale Fire and I'm most likely going to finish The Unvanquished by tomorrow.

Crucible of War, however I am going to have chip away at for a while. I'm mostly reading it to be able to build more historically accurate details/setting for something I'm working on.

It was abridged by the author, I don't know what more you can want

I started with Fear and Trembling then got the attached pic. I haven't read the full Christian Discourses yet.
He's pretty easy to read compared to most philosophy / theology.

Anão, onde você encontrou esse calhamaço em inglês e muito barato ainda por cima?

Ha, I almost bought that. I figured I'd end up buying 2 or 3 of his complete texts eventually anyways so I didn't want to make the investment.

Glad that he's supposedly easy on the eyes, philosophers from up north tend to be obtuse.

He can be pretty funny at times too.

Hard Boiled is so good.

Trying to chip away at some lesser known primary source ancient histories.

I have their Sallust w/ Bellum Jugurthine and Bellum Cataline, it is really good.

Yeah dude Sallust is great. You might also like his (or "pseudo-Sallust's") letters to Caesar in the second loeb volume.

The rest of the book.

P&V Demons is the best translation out there.

>Trevor Noah
Fucking kill yourself

Sallust, "Lesser Known" WEW LAD

When did I say Sallust is lesser known?

Gonna be my first Pynchon and first Dostoyevsky, but I'm familiar with Camus.

Picked out some short books, since I just got done with Don Quixote

Go away

Bro. Not a recent stack or anything, just happen to own the exct same versions

Nice, book bros for life

Totally

This pic is grandma and grandpa's dusty spring vacation home core

Do you mean it in a good or a bad way?

Library had sale.

Where did I go right/wrong?

I read the Running Man in jail. Comfy as fuck.

This constitutes my reading from about Christmas. Please excuse the abridged version of Don Quixote

Just got these the other day

I just finished it last night. I thought it was really quite sad. I mean, the end was satisfying to a point but overall just depressing. Probably doesnt help that i have a 15 month old daughter with a lingering cough.

I'm new, please recommend me stuff, currently reading Solzhenitsyn.

Darkness at Noon is a good followup to Gulag Archipelago.

Thanks, so Day in the Life, Gulag Archipelago and then Darkess at Noon?

Livraria Cultura, amigo. Eu li o Ulisses traduzido pelo Antonio Houaiss e tava planejando importar o Ulysses da Wordsworth, aí fui na loja física da Livraria Cultura pra buscar a minha encomenda (The Waves da Virginia Woolf, tinha importado 1 mes atrás junto com Infinite Jest e Livro do Desassossego) e por sorte, achei não só Ulysses mas também War & Peace. Recomendo MUITO a Cultura, preço muito bom e tem MUITO livro. Todos os livros da Wordsworth são só R$ 10,00 cada, ou seja, Ulysses e War & Peace (tradução boa), acredite se quiser, apenas 20 contos de réis.
Geralmente, though, esses livros da Wordsworth tu tem que importar, difícil ter nas lojas físicas, mas se tu importar, tu pode escolher ir buscar na loja você mesmo, aí não precisa pagar frete (btw, paguei apenas 63 reais no Infinite Jest, mais barato que comprar dos EUA).
Godspeed, anão.

>pic relatada, único lugar que econtrei gravity's rainbow, 2666 e infinite jest foi na cultura, todos na faixa de R$ 60,00.
>inb4 shilling

i hate infinite jest and ulisses so much, fucking hate that i got memed into reading them both

Where do you download well formatted ebooks with covers and everything?
I hope you aren't buying them.

What's wrong with buying?

They're stored on an account and I can read them on multiple devices, and I'm paying the distributors.

not him, but mobilism, libgen, and soulseek, and then download metadata with calibre

lol

Why would you spend money on things that you can easily get for free?

As reward, and because I can switch to my phone and read anywhere.

>As reward
? It isnt a reward to spend money.

I reward by paying, and it gives me incentive to finish the book. It's not that expensive.

these 2 arrived 5 minutes ago. now I have 4 volumes of britannica great books and had good luck buying them, they are all in great condition and it seems that they have been read 1 time, if at all

Currently reading these

Picked up Mythology at a local thrift store. Actually pretty good.

If you don't purchase ebooks, companies will stop making them. Supply and demand.

It isn't a bad thing to buy ebooks. It's a good thing.

who the fuck cares? like there was/is anything worthy for them to "make" in the last decades

Bro, it's not like those aren't the first results you find when you type those titles into Amazon

>i dont read contemporary literature so there is no good contemporary literature

Worst Veeky Forums habit

If I don't purchase ebooks, morons will purchase them.
There are plenty of imbeciles funding everything these days, we live in times of abundance.

I bet you have a job too, instead of just comfy welfare NEET life.
Fuck it, I am actually slowly accumulating money without having an income besides handouts.

my library had some great stuff come in this week. got all of this for 5 bucks. there's a hitchhiker's complete guide to the galaxy hardcover there too, but it's late and I'm too tired to retake the photo.
I picked up a bantam classics edition of portrait of the artist as a young man that day too, but gave it to a friend of a friend because the cover was ugly and I already has a copy.

>If you don't purchase ebooks, companies will stop making them

I hope that's what happens, ebooks are for fags.

best cover of the master and margarita, and actually a decent translation too

My version has this cover and I really like it.

I love wordsworth.
it's perfect for original- English texts.

Scored some late-50's Random House pubs. They were pretty cheap and didn't have copies of any but S&F so I figured I'd grab them while I could, may add on to the set in the future if I can find more.

It's not a stack but just got this.
"Lectures on the Philosophy of History" by Hegel.
It even has the guarantee note from the publisher.

>watching rick mercer

literally lmaoing @ your life rn

is Battle Royale any good?

I love old books they are cheap, look and smell great

That can be a mixed bag.
I have some that smell like absolute ass.
But then again,you van find stuff in pristine condition.

>all those beautiful new books
go to hell rich fag

Maybe I should read some Kosztolányi.
I just need a Hungarian copy.

i agree with the message of this post

putting a book in a ziplock bag with some baking soda and leaving it for a week there kills the funky smell on old books, have done this, works well, the baking gets off the book easily and doesn't harm the book at all

Got these for my birthday, most glad to have The Red Book i think.

shitty compression

That is nice to know.
Most of the time the smell goes away after reading it halfway trough,

The Aristophanes translations are appalling (bowdlerized like crazy) and none of them have any footnotes which means you will miss out on a decent amount of context.

wait a second