Hi Veeky Forums

hi Veeky Forums

I've read 3 books in my life and they were all sci fi shit.

I'm 20 and I want to get into reading but every time I think about silently sitting down and reading something I get an urge to break glass.

Any advice on how to get into reading?
I know I sound fucking stupid but I feel like I need sound or I always read in a hurry and skim over shit to much.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Reader's_Manifesto#Books_recommended_by_B._R._Myers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>reading something I get an urge to break glass.
Wuthering Heights

i googled it
its an old book

Maybe try reading along with an audiobook.
What do you mean by this?

I listen to podcasts a lot.
I've listened to Joe Rogan for years and probably listen to audio podcasts, average two hours a day.

wonder if that helps or hurts me

i fucking love audiobooks thought but there expensive

Start with mangas or comics.
Or maybe audiobooks.

Try reading some short stories to get in the habit of reading. Try the pic related for example.

Start with Gilgamesh's Epic and end on a high note.

Thanks anons, going to try some short stories

Try Finnegans Wake on for size OP, it's a really easy read and I think you'll enjoy it

>Finnegans Wake
im not sure if you fags think 600 pages is short or what

you even shitpost boring

Why do so many people who hate reading want to read? We have this type of thread almost daily.
Genuinely curious.

ur mam shitposts boring m8

Basically user I'm going to community college and have a lot of time on my hands.

I write terrible and I feel like intelligent people do read a lot. I love audiobooks and if I could get into reading I'd like too.

I hate books because there never things I choose to read, I never read about shit I'm interested in.

also some faggot commie I see on twitter is 10x more well read then me and if I dont start reading personal liberties will continue to diminish if I cannot defend the free market*

Because they intuitively understand that continual reading of quality literature is a habit of real value and they want to work themselves out of this instant gratification stupor that is prevalent among this generation and make a real go of reading as a new habit. So they naturally come to the literature board for tips and advice.

You should be encouraging this, if anything.

nailed it user
you get me buddy

big kiss

OP, read A Reader's Manifesto. Right now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Reader's_Manifesto#Books_recommended_by_B._R._Myers

I'd say start with Gormenghast.

do you guys find books online or do you buy them

also why this book

ignore most book recommendations or at least google them. Most will try to meme you.

You can find audiobooks online. I doubt avid readers from Veeky Forums pay for them.

It gives good recommendations and condemnations of what to read. It's pretty relevant to what's currently happening in literature with the pretentiousness and lack of storytelling. The rules for serious writers can be useful if you're wanting to write yourself, and can help determine the bad books from good.

thanks anons

Where to start:
Contact - Sagan
If I were you I would go for Contact by Carl Sagan. Sagan is far smarter than any of the other pop-sci/neo-atheist jokers around these days. He is also a very competent writer. I'm not sure what kind of sci-fi you are into, but Contact is surprisingly hard-science in some of its concepts--a lot of them more mathematical and cryptographic than scientific. Most importantly the book deals with a large of number of questions that immanent intersections between science and society are poised to pose.

Bonfire of the Vanities
After that I would try Bonfire of the Vanities. It's one of those books that nonreadres have a veague idea of being a modern master piece, mainly cause the title is so poetic and cryptic. The book itself is, in a sense, a thriller. But in a broader sense it is an amazing sociological portrait of 180s New York. It goes deep into the judicial, class, journalistic, financial, mariatal, high-societal, educational, and pretty much every other facet of NY city's spheres of life and the intersections between them. Any serious reader will respect the choice giving your credit for having read an under-appreciated contemporary classic it's not transparently "hip" to ike. Plus it's very well writte, easily very-high intermediate or low-advanced while still being highly accessable. And if all that wern't enough it is a damn good story, as compelling as anything written by King or Grisham.

Where you go from there depends on which you liked more.

Contact – Neil Stevenson. Start with Snow Crash—don’t pay attention to the haters, it is a great nook. You migh tneed to read it a little ironically at times. But it is super fun. Then move on to The Diamond Age. A quasi-sequal to Snow Crash, much more high-minded, well-written, and just as great with the hard-science prognostication, social re-imagining in response to tech, and a great story. Also quite well written and opens the door to works combining science fiction with historical fiction. Stevenson has this tendency to kind of develop as a writer exponentially between works. After that start with the Baroque Cycle by Stevenson, an amazing and very complex work of hard sci-fi and historical fiction. If you can handle that you can probalby take a slow crack at Mason & Dixon by Pynchon. If you make it there and read that you can go anywhere and do anything lit wise from there on aout.

Bonfire of the Vanities – then move on to Confederacy of Dunces, another amazing book with very deep interlocking social commentary. Very accessably writen and really damn funny. Maybe the only actualy funny book ever written [if someone ever tries to pull Vonnegut or Pynchon or Voltair on your for quality humor writing, or god forbid Don Quxiotie, just make the jerk off motion with your arm and walk away backwards, never breaking eye-contact unitl you out of sight.] From there maybe move on to the Flashman series or Jeeves and P.G. Woodhouse, botth very well respected comedians in literature and both very well respected writers that offer lots of great sociall commentary on various worlds and interlocking cities of the 18th and 18th thousands.

So listen here mr worrm. This post is grade A, top-secret, eliter reader map material. Following this you will advance in skill and capability and do so while reading some very good, very compelling and very well respected books. I don’t want to say ignore every other post in this thread, but none are no where this good or insightful or will offer you the highest return on your investment. I havne’t read any of the other posts but I can tell you this is the truth. As a thank you please say af prayer for me tonight—DON/T FORGET THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Thank you and have good rest of your life or whatever it is you plan on doing whatever it is you’ll be busy with till then. Bye my love.

It might be good for you to read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

A really easy to enjoy book that might also make you think a bit more, which you probably could benefit from.

Start with audiobooks. Once you get yourself comfortable with them, sit down with short stories. Continue with longer audiobooks. Find out specifically what you like, and then, eventually, sit down with a full length novel of your selection.

Well, I'd really recommend The Hobbit. It's a great and easy to read story that is wonderfully written. And if you ever read it again later in life you'll appreciate it more.

If you want something outside of fiction, Xenophon's Anabasis (often named something different depending on the translator, but you'll find it) is an exciting fast paced behind enemy lines 'adventure'.

It happened, although I'm sure most people would agree some parts are perhaps exaggerated and whatnot, but nonetheless I can't imagine someone not liking it if they bother to get a few chapters in. DON'T read the Prologue in any history book you aren't already familiar with for spoiler reasons.

DO NOT use with audiobooks if you have any intention of "getting into reading."

read the words in your head
read aloud
stop doing stimulants

>Start with Veeky Forums with a fun or easy prose like Steinbeck or Twain.
>Smoke a spliff while drinking a cup of strong black coffee
>Put in headphones with a long baroque playlist Spotify has a nice one
>Read. I swear you'll feel like you're in the book.

I'd recommend "A Confederacy of Dunces": an enjoyable entry-level book

this