What's the best scotch? It your favourite at least

What's the best scotch? It your favourite at least.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2xXo_la8nbM
thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2544/glen-moray-12-year-old
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They all taste shit. Drink American.

Everybody in this board and in real life makes fun of me for drinking Chivas Regal....I don't care, it's cheap and I enjoy it...

Black Bottle is good.

My brother brought me some Talisker back from Scotland that I really enjoyed.

for me, any single malt sherry oak.

GOAT: Macallan 18, but breaks the bank.
Usual go-to: Macallan 12.
Honourable mentions: Glenmorangie

Can enjoy a lot of others like Glenfiddich and Glenlevit

Only decent blended I've had is Dimple Pinch.

Red and Black label a shit

I really enjoyed the 18 year Laphroaig, it's by and far the best I've had. Worth having around for special occasions, imo.

Good for you, man. You drink what ever the fuck you want.

I enjoy black label with Canada dry.

Glenmorangie is possibly the easiest/smoothest widely available scotch and cannot hurt even if you buy it as a gift for a non-whisky drinker.

I'll tell you my experience with the few I've tried:

>Macallan 10 yr
Smoky, balanced, probably a good place to start if a little hot.
>Laphroaig 10 yr
A lot of the memers on this website will recommend this one but I don't think you should start here. It's very strongly flavored of wood and peat moss. I've given it to people and they've described it as like burning tires, even some of the official tasting notes say things like "a new box of band-aids" That said sometimes it's just exactly what you want, if you decide you like scotch pick up a bottle.
>Lagavulin 16 yr
Expensive and well the fuck worth it. Similar earthy and woody flavors to the above two, but miles more smooth.

If you want to get into Irish whiskeys they're also great
>Redbreast 12
Shockingly drinkable and mellow
>The Quiet Man 8
Pony up the extra couple of bucks for the single malt and you'll have a pleasant smoky drink, a little hotter than the Redbreast but still great straight.

Hope this helped.

Not blends

I've been in Islay recently on a holiday. My new favourite distillery might be Bunnahabhain. They're great.

My overall favourite as if right now is the Lagavulin 16 though. It's Diageo, but it's fucking good.

>Irish """""whisky"""""
>Good

I almost always go for Laphroaig 10 or Laphroaig QC

I like them more than everything else I've tried, even some much older whiskys

The older ones are pretty good.

I like glenfiddich 12 year for something nice but not too nice that I don't want to drink the shit.

Go to 15 and its not to much more but its really good for price

I find Laphroaig is too obvious. It doesn't have the subtlety of other Islays.

What do you consider good?

For me, it's Bushmills

is this good?

It's pretty common when you first get into drinks that are just beyond the absolute bottom shelf to gravitate towards simple, loud, obvious flavors.

DIPA and RIS for beer
Islays especially Lafroog for whisky
Argie Malbec, Apothic, and similar for wine

Eventually you grow up and seek balance, but what user is going through is the booze equivalent of first love. It may look stupid in retrospect but there's a simple, unthinking pleasure there that you can never have again. Might as well relish it.

Its not scotch but in all seriousness, for like 12 bucks its actually not that bad. Its actually drinkable straight but you should probably just mix it with something.

There are some subtle and great Islays. Really it's only Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and the Bruichladdich Octomore which I feel are overpowered by peat.

Lagavulin and Kilchoman have great notes to go along with the peat, as does the Bunnahabhain peated.

I think my least favourite from that area is Jura though. It's smooth but it has no flavour.

>Implying all Islays are pleb tier

The only pleb here is you.

American>Irish>Scotch

The only one worse than scotch is Canadian.

You know what, regular old Chivas is pretty good. It has a certain oceany character that's hard to find in a lot of single malts. Old Pulteney and Oban 14 comes close, but Chivas has something in its flavor profile that I haven't found in any other whisky so far.

Also IMO it's a bit better than its rival JW Black, which IMO is very one-dimensional in its sweetness/smokiness.

Old Pulteney is probably my least favourite sing!e malt.

Islay taste like swamp water and burning ghettos and I love it. But I also hate myself so that's probably a factor.

My Aunt bought me a bottle of 1999 Distiller's Edition. I will never taste anything better on this planet.

Longmorn 16 yr

Not the user you replied to but thanks for the suggestions. Laphroig is my favorite Islay and I've wanted to branch out for a little while.

I'd say try the Lagavulin first. There's a reason people say it's great.

Really though try as many as you can. The only one I really don't recommend is the Ardbeg. It's way too peaty, and the rest of the flavours are too light.

Scotch tastes like smoky shit

American is sweet at least and doesn't make me want to kill myself when I drink it.

It's pretty good! It's cheap, any place carries it, and you can get it in any size.

Good shit. Still better than the much of the 30-50$ stuff in my opinion.

Get this, it's much better

My new collection.

>Thread about Scotch
>Yanks start posting their trash tier cheap corn based drain cleaner

>Also IMO it's a bit better than its rival JW Black, which IMO is very one-dimensional in its sweetness/smokiness.Anonymous

Yeah, I've always that JW Red and Black were garbage tier as far as quality. Platinum and Blue are actually good as far as quality, but wayyyyyyyy over priced. Much better scothes for 1/4th the price

I personally don't see why you'd drink a blend over a single malt. The cost of a good blend is about as much as a single malt, so why not just buy one of those? They've got much more character.

Ardbeg is peaty, but I think it's the peppery flavour that makes people think its too peaty. It's like any pepper, it enhances whatever is there.

Never seen a Talisker bottle like that. Nice collection btw. Lagavulin is aged in old sherry casks.

>What's the best scotch?
butterscotch

Because I only drink scotch that cost less than 25 bucks a bottle and haven't been able to find a cheap single malt that I like...

>macallan
>smoky
cmon kiddd
>laga
>expensive

The nicest ones I've had recently have the fino sherry Arran, a single sherry cask caol isla, and the black art from bruichladdich. The last of these has me completely dumbstruck and blows pretty much any malt I've had out of the water w/r/t depth of taste.
the quarter cask and triple wood Laph are gr8
Had a wee dram of an ancient port ellen whisky a few years back; was what caused me to fall in love with scotch and I realised I'd never have anything quite as pleasing in my glass again

The talisker is one that I found in my Dad's house. He doesn't really drink whisky, so it's been around for ages apparently. It's a distillers edition bottled in 2007 (14 year).

Also, I love sherry cask whisky. All of the ones I like the most are full sherry, or at least use a lot of sherry in the marriage.

I just got back from a trip to Islay, which is where I bought most of the bottles. I also did six distillery tours, which is pretty good because you develop more of an understanding of why different brands can taste so different.

Drink half as fast and buy a bottle that's double the price.

I drink to get drunk you faggot nu-male

>Nu-male
>For appreciating the experience of getting drunk instead of just the result

If you want to get wasted drink cheap vodka. There's no point in drinking Scotch for the sake of getting drunk.

Chivas Regal is one of the better cheap scotchs.

I really like Oban and BenRiach. I recently bought three Talisker and a Yamazaki. I look forward to those two.

Quite a nice cheap one.

What's a good Speyside then?

Can't go wrong with Laphroaig. Try to get their Cask Strength bottlings.

I don't like the Laphroaig cask strength. It's too strong, you can't enjoy it properly because of the alcohol.

I actually think Laphroaig is one of the worst Islays.

>>laga
>>expensive
It's significantly more expensive than everything else in my post and definitely more expensive than normies are used to buying bottles. But I know you're an internet cool kid that doesn't touch a bottle less than 500 bucks so I'll let you on your way.
Another tripfag into the filter.

It's not expensive

Hakushu 12

Lagavulin is the cheapest best booze you'll ever buy in your life. Compared to johnnie walker blue, it's free. People don't have a fucking clue how to price shit.

What's a "good," bottle of scotch that can be had for around twenty-five doll hairs? I know bourbon to have a few answers to that question, but scotch just seems a little pricier. Anything good at that price point?

Bourbon is dogfood. Don't talk about bourbon in a scotch thread.

Dogs can drink bourbon? I guess that poker picture was pretty accurate.

On an actual note, your pretentiousness impresses no one. All alcohols have their own nuances.

Bourbon tastes like corn swill and everything else relies on barley being baked in an old stone house. It's up to you what you drink.

Sorry, I meant malted barley

It's not pretentious to have a tongue.

You're entitled to your opinion. No matter how stupid it may be.

Cheers!

Go do some reading, after that you'll be fine.

About putting on airs?

Scotch is good. Bourbon is good. Rum, brandy, gin, tequila and all other numbers of alcohol are good.

The question was asking about enjoyable scotch at around the $25 price point, because bourbon can be found nicely for around that, albeit as everyone should infer, not the pique example of their class.

youtube.com/watch?v=2xXo_la8nbM

I can't buy a good single malt for less than $160. Honestly I don't give a shit at all. but keep on keeping on with your shit.

Will do, lord of the Veeky Forums.

Do you know what fores, heads, hearts and tails are? Do you know what a continuous still is? Do you know a fucking thing about booze?

I've distilled my own booze, know that the start is full of methanol shouldn't be drank, and know that the booze concentration tends to fade the longer into the batch.

The fuck does this have to do with a steeped traditional process of barrel-aged whisky? Are you just jerking off over your supposed superiority to the unwashed masses?

Actually methanol is very rare in any wash. It requires fruit pectin to develop, so unless your entire wine is made from fruit you're being suckered by propaganda. The first 8% can be tossed if you're a paranoid dipshit. The rest is ethanol, ether acetate and flavour esters.

115L of water
30Kg Sugar
1326ml tomato paste (8.5cans)
5tsp Citric Acid
380g Yeast
1 tsp Epsom salt
2 campden tablets in water

I make two of those per session. No fucking methanol but I do toss the first 150ml per.

That's actually pretty interesting to know some of the disputed science about stilling. Usually just went by rule of thumb due to advice of letting the first runoffs be throw-away. Thanks.

Tomato paste? Does it still retain the raw flavor esters?

Leads me also to ask about the citric acid, epsom salt, and campden, because my main mashes have been water and different kinds of sugar.

most people were poisoned by denatured alcohol in the 20s. Not methanol. You need a lot of sweet sugary garbage to create enough methanol to blind you. Think about wine. It has more methanol than any booze at its concentration.

not at all. Yeast attenuation is the factor you need to watch. You want your yeast to eat your sugar and create ethanol. Yeast dies in alcohol, that's yeast attenuation. You build a soup that makes your yeast happy and it dies when your sugar is used. That is what that ratio creates. 13%ish low wines in 5 days.

This is the shit you end up with and it matters how much you stress your yeast. Those turbo yeasts taste like human filth.

Sorry, I keep forgetting you aren't distillers.

pH is key. You need your yeast not to shock out and die. Theres a few things that matter greatly to yeast. Osmotic stress is the worst. You need food, a livable environment(pH) and water up the ass.

This is what my mash ends up looking like 1 hour into pitching it. It finishes to .990 in 5 days.

>Nuances

Not really nuances when it's just corn.

None at that price point. You're looking at at least £35 for a bottle of single malt that's half decent.

Do you know what an enzyme is? And that it's required before corn can be used in anything at all?

There are plenty of good single malts for way less than that. Non age statement bottlings can be nicer than age statement ones, and cheaper.

That's fine, even with your squiggly dollar symbols, any suggestions?

You guys really don't know anything or talk about anything real. Why are you here?

Whiskey is disgusting

>They all taste shit. Drink American.
Nah

thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2544/glen-moray-12-year-old

The glen moray 12 was my first whisky. I think it tastes really good, and it's not too harsh like some can be. It's also cheaper than I thought at £29.

Not sure about getting it in burger land though.

You haven't had good whisky then.

Are there any good whisky websites?

You think that isn't the exact response everyone gives when I tell them that? I've had about a dozen brands of whiskey that whoever at the time recommends to me, and it's always disgusting

Have you had single malt scotch or just American swill?

Lagavulin

Bourbon is a mouth rapist, but scotch is a specific type of god. Don't drink feces.

I don't even understand what you're saying here

Hoboken chiclet nipples.

I prefer bourbon 2bh

Love Dalwhinnie 15, but its probably not the best. Just one I really like.
But enjoy most good whiskies.