Buddhism

Im looking for a book on buddhist teachings and philosophy. Does Veeky Forums have any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ro/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dalai lama books
web.ics.purdue.edu/~buddhism/docs/Bhante_Walpola_Rahula-What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop being a lazy faggot and read the diamond sutra and the Lanka

In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon

google.ro/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dalai lama books

Dhammapada

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is all you need OP, it basically details the Buddha's life and philosophy starting from a young age.

What's your purpose OP? Strictly academic interest or seeking spiritual enlightenment?

>Following Satan
Are you a white midwestern housewife? They're the only ones that fall for that Eastern spirituality shit. Read The Bible.

>Read The Bible.

Fuck off with that Eastern spirituality shit.

I second that.

Strictly academic

I claim this thread in the name of Carli.
Shoo shoo, Buddhist trash!

Lord of Light obviously

>"I'm looking for a book on the teachings of Jesus Christ, anyone has any clue what I should read first?"

Hope the Tibetan Buddhist comes in this thread to drop a bunch of links and recommendations.

This.

and this

Like reading Meister Eckhart to find out about Jesus.

I hate Buddhism.

Start with "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. Then read the Dhammapada. Then read "In the Buddhas Words" by Bhikku Bodhi

/thread

web.ics.purdue.edu/~buddhism/docs/Bhante_Walpola_Rahula-What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf

What the protagonist experiences in Hesse's novel actually has little to do with Buddhism and is more closer to Hinduism

Fakes who stare at the inside of their eyelids: And you expect to learn from their "experiential" wisdom?
We do have to open-mindedly consider religions so we can intelligently conclude they're for loser followers who have nothing of consequence of their own in their empty, pitiful lives. Believers lack intelligence and common sense.

LOL IRL

really though, OP, best answers so far have been

Diamond Sutra
Dhammapada

I'd also suggest the Lotus Sutra (at least the first 8 or so chapters), the Vimalakirti Sutra, and Hui Neng's commentary on the Diamond Sutra.

After some of that, you're gonna have a better idea of what kinds of Buddhism interest you and you can get more specific from there.

The act of mediation need not be spiritual or religious. The thought process and ideas that comes with Buddhism need not be coupled with the metaphysics of it.

meditation*

By far the best book about Buddhism from a contemporary Ethiopian author

I remember coming to Veeky Forums a few years ago into some buddhist thread with a guy ranting how JC and the buddha were actually friends (or the same person, I can't remember) and having good evidence to back it up . Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

That wasn't Veeky Forums that was /a/ and the evidence was Saint Young Men

kek. watched all ep's + the movie a few days ago.

You gotta start with the Aryans.

Someone being this salty over good quality sources and things to look into!

The Bodhisattvacharyāvatāra or Bodhicaryāvatāra, sometimes translated into English as A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life is a pretty important read.

bump